Devils Vs Blaze - League - 22nd Dec 21

august04 2.0

I think there’s a lot of overreaction regarding sacking skalde. I’m not scared to admit performances haven’t been good enough so far. But that doesn’t mean we sack a coach in his first year. Only once in the EIHL era has a coach without British league experience won the league in their first year. Rebuild seasons take time. Let’s not forget when lord first took over the win was to win the league in 5 years. We did it in 3. We’ve seen the potential this team has, It’s just not consistent. I’m not judging him this year, I’ll judge him end of next season as things like this take time. Belfast didn’t win the league in Keefes first year, Sheffield didn’t either with Fox either. If we sack skalde this year, then next year is another rebuild season and what happens if things don’t go well in that year? Do we sack that coach? We’ve been fortunate these last few years and we’re not going to win every year. So let’s just enjoy that we have hockey back. I’m all for criticising performances but sacking a new coach mid year is a bit dramatic.
No-one is expecting Skalde to get sacked mid year, that’s just not going to happen. And no-one is expecting to win the league either I don’t think, I certainly didn't pre-season anyway. But I did expect us to play some good hockey and be entertained, which is as important to me. And we're not doing either of these, not by a long shot. Let’s not forget either when Lord first took over, we played some of the best hockey I’ve ever seen in 35 years of watching the Devils. We still didn’t win the league that year but it didn’t take any of the enjoyment away from watching that team in that season. It was a blast. By comparison, this year has been absolutely dreadful, with the exception of watching a top sniper in action and an excellent goaltending duo. There’s not been much else to cheer about I’m afraid. For the most part it’s been an absolute borefest.

Wannabe2

No-one is expecting Skalde to get sacked mid year, that’s just not going to happen. And no-one is expecting to win the league either I don’t think, I certainly didn't pre-season anyway. But I did expect us to play some good hockey and be entertained, which is as important to me. And we're not doing either of these, not by a long shot. Let’s not forget either when Lord first took over, we played some of the best hockey I’ve ever seen in 35 years of watching the Devils. We still didn’t win the league that year but it didn’t take any of the enjoyment away from watching that team in that season. It was a blast. By comparison, this year has been absolutely dreadful, with the exception of watching a top sniper in action and an excellent goaltending duo. There’s not been much else to cheer about I’m afraid. For the most part it’s been an absolute borefest.
Absolutely bang on the money, I would prefer to be 4th and be on the end of my seat, and being entertained, and that’s the key word Entertained. We all like to win, but value for money is the main goal, this team is like a trip down memory Lane to the Gillingham, Jardemyr 1999/2000 team who were pretty lousy, but even that lot were more entertaining, and looked like they wanted to be here. If we don’t win a thing this season, and it’s certainly looking that way, then so what no one stays top forever, but give us something to write home about please, please. Most of us people have to earn their money, and not just turn up.

matbur

Providing he's settled and wants to continue, I'd be very surprised if Skalde went after one season. I mentioned this previously, but mass rebuilds are extremely difficult to get right on and off the ice. I'm not blindly defending the team, it's evident something isn't right and that the recruitment hasn't come off completely as hoped - but realistically, given current circumstances, they're not going to replace half the roster mid-season. It's frustrating but it is what it is.

As some have mentioned, Skalde is also on a learning curve in terms of adapting here, but let's show the guy a bit of respect based on his pedigree in the game. Any notion that someone from outside the league can't come in and readjust is misguided. The format of the EIHL is an oddity in hockey and takes readjustment thst only comes from being in the job. The league is a developing one in which the teams are barely able to remain operational. It is a step down from what he knows. Should Skalde have the desire to stay, he needs a second season to turn this roster around.

We've come through a remarkable period of success, we're going through a cycle of change and it isn't perfect, but next season could look completely different.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

Providing he's settled and wants to continue, I'd be very surprised if Skalde went after one season. I mentioned this previously, but mass rebuilds are extremely difficult to get right on and off the ice. I'm not blindly defending the team, it's evident something isn't right and that the recruitment hasn't come off completely as hoped - but realistically, given current circumstances, they're not going to replace half the roster mid-season so right now, so as frustrating as that is for fans, it is what it is.

As some have mentioned, Skalde is also on a learning curve in terms of adapting here, but let's show the guy a bit of respect based on his pedigree in the game. Any notion that someone from outside the league can't come in and readjust is misguided. The format of the EIHL is an oddity in hockey and takes readjustment thst only comes from being in the job. The league is a developing league in which the teams are barely able to remain operational. It is a step down from what he knows. Should Skalde have the desire to stay, he needs a second season to turn this roster around.
We've come through a remarkable period of success, we're going through a cycle of change and it isn't perfect, but next season could look completely different.
I’m not particularly bothered about how good his CV is. If he’s been largely responsible for the recruitment of this team and the way it is playing, then he’s under pressure for next year I’m sure. And so he should be, quite frankly. You can dress it up all you like and make excuses for the guy, but what’s being served up to the paying public is just not good enough.

Kevlar68

I think as you say mass rebuilds are difficult at the best of times but even more difficult at the time it was done with so much uncertainty. In any normal pre season there would be so many more players available to look at who may have taken the move to Cardiff but with so much unknowing of travel, rules and regulations etc it was a big problem to overcome.

matbur

I’m not particularly bothered about how good his CV is. If he’s been largely responsible for the recruitment of this team and the way it is playing, then he’s under pressure for next year I’m sure. And so he should be, quite frankly. You can dress it up all you like and make excuses for the guy, but what’s being served up to the paying public is just not good enough.
I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just being realistic. He was brought in to rebuild the team, not under the mandate to win immediately. If that's you're expectation, then I can see why you might feel disappointed.

If he's here this time next year and we're still no closer to playing a better brand of hockey and performing more consistently, then I think you'd have a point. A few changes to the team in the summer and things could look quite different.

I'm as frustrated as anyone, but expecting everything to go to plan after the amount of changes that've been made simply isn't realistic.

Kevin roog

Only trouble with rebuilds is that we probably only want 6-8 of this current rosteer back(unless there’s 5 or 6 lane ulmers hidden in our roster ready to spring into action in march) and the ones we want back like carruth and Reid might say sod that anyway

Mazzoak

Your ticket provides you access to the rink to watch a game, there’s no guarantee of entertainment. That’s subjective, people have various levels of what entertainment is to them. For me I’m still enjoying this journey, after 18 months away, I’m grateful we are here, I’d just would like people to enjoy, continue attending and look forward to better times, the success coming will taste all the more sweeter.

august04 2.0

I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just being realistic. He was brought in to rebuild the team, not under the mandate to win immediately. If that's you're expectation, then I can see why you might feel disappointed.

If he's here this time next year and we're still no closer to playing a better brand of hockey and performing more consistently, then I think you'd have a point. A few changes to the team in the summer and things could look quite different.

I'm as frustrated as anyone, but expecting everything to go to plan after the amount of changes that've been made simply isn't realistic.
If you'd read my post, you’d know I didn’t expect him to win immediately, or win anything for that matter! What I do want is to see some good hockey though and he’s largely failed on that front, bar the odd exception.

terry hunt

I was listening to the 2 ales podcast earlier that had Dixon, JM and Dease, there were a couple of remarks which may be significant from Dixon.
1) the change to home games on Saturday is not allowing the team to bond as well/as much as when the home game was on the Sunday night
2) the start of the season again didn’t allow for bonding to happen as per previously
3) the team is made up of good guys in the room
4) that even though players/coach say the right things re difference about the league in the uk it still takes a while for that to truly sink in, to the extent that after 5 years of it in the Uk JM wasn’t comfortable about the lax attitude in Europe about losing a game and wanted that every game matters attitude

Perhaps the above plus trying to play with covid restrictions are actually really important factors.

I’m wary of negative comments about sack the coach etc, however I do think the team and coaches need to step back, ask questions of themselves and come back with better attitude going forward and plans for dealing how the game is played here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
Thanks for the recommendation re the 2Ales podcast.
I think it is a worthwhile listen for all Devils fans but listen to the whole podcast.Main guest is Mac Carruth worth it just for him.

Diablo3

I would hate for us to emulate Football, where the slightest dip in form means sacking the coach. This is a rebuild season some players will work out some will not. but you have to start somewhere. Our management team are bright enough to know when they have the right guys, lets roll with it and enjoy the ride.

Earnie

We are second in the league despite a few disappointments along the way. No one is likely to overtake Sheffield but we can try and keep Giants at bay.

Pembo

We are second in the league despite a few disappointments along the way. No one is likely to overtake Sheffield but we can try and keep Giants at bay.
Such large discrepancy in games played so second place is potentially a little misleading. Giants have Significantly higher points % age per game. Points % per game is Probably a more accurate metric than points until other teams catch up. Happy Christmas everyone.

Wannabe2

We will be anywhere between 3rd and 5th, and that’s a reality and where we deserve to be, it’s been tough, new team, new coach, making the final play off 4 is a lottery. We have a new team, let’s hope we have a new one next year.