Devils Vs Bison - 21st Sept - Updates and Chat

We lost for 2 reasons:

1 Reiter stood on his head
2 We dont have an out and out goalscorer.

We played well tonite. Plenty off effort but couldnt put the puck in the net. We will probably lose other games for same reason(2)
Reasonably happy with our performance. Well done to the bison though, they worked their butts off and pulled off a great result against the odds.

nmase20 said:
why is it that when the team loses people moan and make out their terrible, then when we win everyone says how amazing the team is??
Give them a break, i missed the game but it sounds to me if it weren't for the goalie it would have been a wipe out.
exactly ,we will play much worse and win ,thoroughly enjoyed the end to end game .
stoney had the puck put between his legs for one goal obvoiusly Anderson fault?

well done bison ,unlucky devils

liked the look of the new guy and prpich is a top banana

can i just add a big round of applause to **** Phillips ,great weekend for the stoolers .

i believe he is loved there by the coach and the management staff almost as much as he is missed by the staff and fans in cardiff

Russky

We lost that game in the first with our mental attitude! 1-3 down was a good wake up call!

Once we drew level we made the same mistake again and assumed we'd win it in the third!
If we have that attitude next weekend we can forget about getting 2 points let alone 4.

Their goalie had a dream of a game compared to the previous nights nightmare and saved them from humiliating hiding!!

I for one can't wait for the Blaze game next sunday!

steve said:
I still cannot understand why Stone is getting so much ice time! Why have we signed 4 import D? From my viewpoint Stoney failed to clear for their first 2 goals.
I absolutely agree. Although I reckon Stoney was responsible for 3 of the goals, the two you mention and one when he was in the bin for a needless penalty. He is looking old, tired and out of shape this season. I think Adams is probably giving him so many shifts to improve his fitness, but that is costing us and his fitness would be better improved in the gym than on the ice costing us goals. Likit was out of position a lot as well and is responsible for the fourth goal iirc.

Bison's goalie played much better last night than he had the night before, for sure, but he still left a heck of a lot of rebounds that we should have been picking up and putting away.

Latulippe for me was brilliant, he was let down though by Hilly not receiving many of his direct passes. If you're going to camp out in front of the net Hilly you should at least keep your frigging stick on the ice to receive a pass.

The guys were a different team than they had been the night before. They didn't show up and there is no excusing that. I hope G is sorting out their attitude because it seems to me that is what the problem is. The way they played in Basingstoke on Saturday they could have beaten anyone, then they barely showed up last night. Having seen them play so well in Basingstoke there are no changes I'd make to the personnel, we have the makings of a very very good team. What needs to change is the attitude.

Koop11

Awesome game – fast, end to end, pretty goals and a great atmosphere. Despite the loss it was the best game we’ve seen down the rink this year.

Result – very disappointing. Defensively we were a little too open in the first. Apart from that we did little wrong and dominated a very tired Bison team (understandably) but their goalie put on one of the best performances I’ve seen in the blue tent. Heart and a never say die attitude from the Bison gave them a late win (and one of our forwards not being bothered to back check). Better team lost but cannot fault the Bison for sticking in their guns. A very good win for them.

Someone summed it up for me last night. Their goalie played a stormer and probably rode his luck a little. The night before he certianly didn’t have the bounces by letting 7 in. Swings and roundabouts, we can’t complain too much.

The result is very frustrating because we put ourselves in a position to simply win our home games in the CC and we would qualify. We haven’t made it easy for ourselves with a trip up to Nottingham in November.

On a brighter note, I thought Jay Latulippe was very impressive. Some much needed speed in the team with skill and not scared to hit anyone despite being one of the smaller guys in the league. A very impressive home debut.

Gazza272

Ugly Betty said:

We had scored 18 goals in our last three games before last night, its not like we are struggling to put the biscuit in the basket at present.

As many have said it was just one of those nights, summed up in the third period when Jay deked reiter out of his skates put the puck across goal about to hit hilly's stick to go in only for a last gasp stick from a bison D man to clear it away, had he not made the play it would have been 4-3 to us and bisons heads probably would have dropped.

Full marks to the bison for last night they had a a game plan and they showed a lot of character, it wasnt us playing badly that got them the win it was their character and nippy forwards that got the job done.

Rempel16

Gazza272 said:
We had scored 18 goals in our last three games before last night, its not like we are struggling to put the biscuit in the basket at present.
Silverthorn could've scored 18 goals last night alone, but his finishing is woeful. Even his goal was from his own rebound cos he missed the initial shot. Countless times he even missed the net completely. He lost the game for us imo.

Reiter did stand on his head but it wasn't difficult for him because all of our shots were straight at him :evil:

Finny

Harsh to blame it on one player, the whole team seemed to have the wrong attitude tonight. I was worried we would be too laid back after the previous night and unfortunately I was wrong. Our fightback in the second period was great but then we did the same in the 3rd and allowed the Bison to steal the win.

As others have said, despite the result it was an entertaining game. I was worried at the start of the season we would be defensive and a bit boring. So far though I'm delighted to be wrong as we've played some great attacking hockey with the sole exception of the Steelers game. And looking around at fans of other clubs - it appears thats the way Sheffield are playing this season.

I've got a really good feeling about this club, and just hope we can get back to a full strength team asap and keep away from suspensions and injuries. I thought our best hope this season would be the cups and we'd be miles away from the top of the league. Next weekend will be a big test for us, and you never know - we might just be title contenders after all.

Rempel16 said:
Gazza272 said:
Silverthorn could've scored 18 goals last night alone, but his finishing is woeful. Even his goal was from his own rebound cos he missed the initial shot. Countless times he even missed the net completely. He lost the game for us imo.

Reiter did stand on his head but it wasn't difficult for him because all of our shots were straight at him :evil:
How can you blame one person for a teams loss? and i think if you look at the league player standings they will disagree with you slightly.

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
Gazza272 said:

come on remps you cant mean that? what about the awesome work silver did while shorthanded for Pirps goal?

Ok he missed a few chances but how many times have we seen netminders (klempa, lehmann the two that stand out) lead a charmed life in net where the puck just wont get past them? a fair few of our players lost their concentration last night at times which cost us and not one man could or should be responsible for a loss. Especially not a player who has 18 other guys who could also score goals.

Rempel16

nmase20 said:
How can you blame one person for a teams loss? and i think if you look at the league player standings they will disagree with you slightly.
Why? Does the league player standings show how many times he's failed to score when its been easier to put the puck in the net? His points tally could easily be 7 or 8 higher.

Rempel16

[quote="Gazza272] come on remps you cant mean that? what about the awesome work silver did while shorthanded for Pirps goal?

Ok he missed a few chances but how many times have we seen netminders (klempa, lehmann the two that stand out) lead a charmed life in net where the puck just wont get past them? a fair few of our players lost their concentration last night at times which cost us and not one man could or should be responsible for a loss. Especially not a player who has 18 other guys who could also score goals.[/quote]

I probably am being a bit harsh but maybe i should clear up. Silverthorn's play to setup prpich was excellent, as is every other aspect of his game. Its his scoring ability that drastically lets him down. He could quite easily have scored a hattrick last night. For me there is no excuse for missing the net completely when the goal is there to be scored.

Adams states that he is our no.1 guy, and he is expecting 30 goals from him. Therefore he should be putting his chances away. Personally if are to be competing our no.1 guy needs to score 45-50 goals but thats for another debate.

Gazza272 said:
Ugly Betty said:

As many have said it was just one of those nights, summed up in the third period when Jay deked reiter out of his skates put the puck across goal about to hit hilly's stick to go in only for a last gasp stick from a bison D man to clear it away, had he not made the play it would have been 4-3 to us and bisons heads probably would have dropped.

I guess only time will tell but imo the lack of a sniper may come back to haunt us down the stretch and we could come unstuck in some tight games.
As I said just my opinion.

Finny

Rempel16 said:
Silverthorn could've scored 18 goals last night alone, but his finishing is woeful. Even his goal was from his own rebound cos he missed the initial shot.
But did that matter as long as he scored? All that matters when you have a breakaway (and not a penalty shot) is that the puck goes in eventually.

A lot of players wait until the last minute to score. If they do it looks pretty. If they don't, they are probably too far past to go for the rebound.

Remember Ruggles? Great breakaway scorer but terrible at penalty shots.

Why? Because he often got the shot away early so the netminder then wasn't expecing it. Even if they were able to stop the rebound usually fell to their feet and he would have an easy tap in.

I've been very impressed with Silverthorn so far this season and I think that line is going to score a lot of goals. Hinks seems to be starting to gel with Silver and Prpich too - his pass for Silverthorns goal was excellent.

Nevermind Jason - where's Hinks?!?!?!?

1 goal I've seen from him - imho he is not first line quality at all. Maybe I am being unfair, but last night I saw him with a damn good scoring opportunity and what does he do? Pass the puck to Campbell I believe, who put the puck right in the middle of the bison logo.

Bison nettie did make *some* blinding save, but pretty much all the shots were to the body :roll: