Devils v Vipers - Sat 24th 7pm - Chat/Updates

James

Administrator
I do hope Darnells shocking delay of game call against us playing the steelers doesn't haunt us further down the track if the league stays this close. Giants are only ahead of us due to that.

Been a long time since my last Devils game, but what a game to come back to after missing all the home games so far due to one reason or another. I know Vipers haven't been doing so well of late, but I certainly wasn't expecting 9-2! Amazing! The first line was awesome - surely they have to stick with Voth, Max and Mark from now on. Gutted I'm not going up to Nottingham now - but not long until the next home game, and I'm going up to Cov next weekend as well :D

After last nights point-fest, we now have 5 players in the top 16 scorers and 6 players (Max, Matt, Mark, Jarvis, Hill and Voth) all with more points than games played!!!

DevilDom said:
Holl_5 - your true colurs on show tonight as a WUM. No longer can you grace this forum as a "neutral observer".
What the hell is that? And who the hell are you to tell me that I'm no longer a neutral?

cardiffdevil said:
Who the hell is Holl-5 and what are they on.

If I were you Holl-5 I'd find a dark room and lie down.
I am Holl_5. 5'10, 170lbs, brown hair, brown eyes. Anything else you want to know?

drainage said:
Excuse me .... I sit in block 14 and take exception to your comments. If your logic is that no one sits by away fans please explain where we sit away fans given every block is next to another ???? I suggest you keep your comments to yourself its exactly the type of wind up you infer is happening in block 14.
Did I say you shouldn't be allowed to sit next to away fans?! I have had all sorts of language chucked my way from the people at the back of 14 for cheering my team and in fact just sitting in my seat. If wouldn't sit anywhere near the away fans as I'd probably react the same. That was all...

To neutralise it (if I'm still allowed?!) it happens at every arena/rink across the country.
cardiffdevil said:
Ger-Devils said:
She's a squeelers fan I think! Says it all!
Oh in that case I wont rise to anymore comments as it will just add to her inferiority complex
Attack the post, not the poster...

Inferiority complex?! PMSL :lol: Err, hardly.

HOLL 5

A point of view from the back of block 2

There was concern and respect shown to the injured player.

The chant towards to vipers fans - well one fan specifically - was for her to sit down and shut up as she was intent on blaming Brad for the accident and then was offering to 'take' people on.

Are we loud at the back of the block yes we are but most importantly we are loud and proud of our team.

If you have a problem with us please feel free to come and chat with us rather than slag us off on the forum.

Awesome game last night although towards the middle of the 3rd it did start to get a little bit silly and we were just playing for fun as the vipers team seemed to lose all interest in the game. However, the block 2 fans added a bit of fun into it and with the fight it seemed to pick up to the end.
The team played amazing and the vipers didn't seem to know how to stop them apart from at one point in the second, the first line has found that form we were all waiting for and damn, it was worth the wait. They were an absolute joy to watch and some of the moves smith and birbraer were pulling off were stunning. I hope they can keep it up tonight. There was nothing disrespectful from the devils fans tonight at all, they only chanted after the vipers had piped up so if anything it was the vipers fans that were disrespectful to their own player.
Hicks had a good game except for what i thought was a blatent trip on jay i think it was in the third. Good to see the brits getting some game time at the end and crisp getting some great support from the fans and the team.

blk2hockeymum said:
Are we loud at the back of the block yes we are but most importantly we are loud and proud of our team.

If you have a problem with us please feel free to come and chat with us rather than slag us off on the forum.
Not debating the first bit at all. I enjoy the banter with Block 2.

But if you think...

All i will say is that i was not happy with the reaction from Block 2 this evening, regardless of what the Vipers fans were doing there was a guy in a terrible condition off the ice, and all block 2 saw fit to do was chant 'sit down shut up' at the Vipers fans, it left me hacked off, especially when the slow clapping/stomping started! it's not like you were being kept waiting on purpose.
...is slagging you off then I think you're being a bit too sensitive.

It's a valid opinion and I've given you my reasons why I thought the slow clapping/stomping was distasteful. That is the part of the evening that grated me the most. It's hardly crime of the century to come on here and vent my feelings about it. Isn't that the whole point?

Hardly worthy of a 'chat' to be honest. But if you want me to tell you 'I was disgusted with your behaviour and I hope that if you were ever very ill no-one would slow clap you so they could get on with what they were doing. A little bit of respect wouldn't have gone a-miss' then I will be at the game on the 2nd of December.

I'm one of the block 2 guys and I can honestly say it was just one guy starting a slow clap/ stomp and I was utterly disgusted, he was a few rows down from the back. I certainly hope people think that the 'chanters and dancers' at the back of block 2 have a lot more respect than this idiot!

I'd also like to wish Mahrle a swift recovery, accidents happen in a fast contact sport but its always upsetting to see

Sheincar

Holl_5 said:
blk2hockeymum said:

Not debating the first bit at all. I enjoy the banter with Block 2.

But if you think...

All i will say is that i was not happy with the reaction from Block 2 this evening, regardless of what the Vipers fans were doing there was a guy in a terrible condition off the ice, and all block 2 saw fit to do was chant 'sit down shut up' at the Vipers fans, it left me hacked off, especially when the slow clapping/stomping started! it's not like you were being kept waiting on purpose.
...is slagging you off then I think you're being a bit too sensitive.

It's a valid opinion and I've given you my reasons why I thought the slow clapping/stomping was distasteful. That is the part of the evening that grated me the most. It's hardly crime of the century to come on here and vent my feelings about it. Isn't that the whole point?

Hardly worthy of a 'chat' to be honest. But if you want me to tell you 'I was disgusted with your behaviour and I hope that if you were ever very ill no-one would slow clap you so they could get on with what they were doing. A little bit of respect wouldn't have gone a-miss' then I will be at the game on the 2nd of December.

well I sit at the back of Block 2 also & I have no idea what you're on about with slow hand clapping & stomping because there wasn't any. The injured player was in one of the blind spots so we couldn't see what was happening but I do know we showed equally as much respect to him as did his own fans.

Gazza272

Sheincar said:
[q

well I sit at the back of Block 2 also & I have no idea what you're on about with slow hand clapping & stomping because there wasn't any. The injured player was in one of the blind spots so we couldn't see what was happening but I do know we showed equally as much respect to him as did his own fans.

Well Finny has stated in this thread he heard some and i did as well. I couldnt quite work out what sort of tone it was trying to set though, but there were a few people joining in.

To echo Finny again though, it seemed to quickly stop as folk seemed to realise it wasnt the best of ideas. Ditto with the chanting towards the Vipers fans.

As for the game itself, Max and Smithy looked like they did a few seasons ago, aggressive forechecking and back checking and their passing is out of this world, Voth made himself a nuisance and when he had to, showed he has great hands for a big guy to take his goals as well as he did.

Cant say anyone had a bad game last night, Lyle looked solid once again, Miller seems to look more comfortable on a line where his skill is a bouns rather than a nessecity, and i was loving our 4th line of Hayes, jay, Davies :D

Oh and kudos to Hayes for winning that fight in the manner he did, Dean Holland is a tough kid (with a stupid hair cut) but Hayes dealt with the fight in a very proffessional manner.

Great hockey night in Cardiff all in all.

gandl said:
http://www.vipershockey.co.uk/news-131-ryan-mahrle-injury-update.html

Is anybody else really annoyed at the awful way he was picked up off the ice....... I'm not commenting on his injury - as like the link above says - nobody should spread rumours (aka Hutchins "tracheotomy") but it is pretty much the first rule of any accident that clearly involves head/neck/back - that you DO NOT MOVE them both immobilise the head and back to prevent futher injury.

I know some people will argue that you can't do this with every hockey accident - but when a helmet has come off and a player has then hit the boards and have someone land on their head/neck/back - it SHOULD have happened!! I don't care if he was saying he was fine or not.

I'm sincerely hoping he is fine and wish him a speedy recovery - but I think some serious lessons need to be learnt to protect all the players.
I have dealt with loads of first aid and spinal injuries and I totaly agree.
It looked like the guy couldnt move his legs, and when they got to the step to get him off they were pulling him about like a rag doll. The first aiders took their time going to check him out, even though from when the incident happened it was clear to see he needed help.
I know if i had all 6'5 of Voth on my neck i would want some help.

But i wish him a speedy recovery too.

I said that at the time. You don't have to be medically trained to know if someone has potentially sustained a neck or head injury your not meant to move them. Saying that the first aiders might have assessed his injury whilst he was on the ice, but obviously he shouldn't have been picked up, at one point i'm sure they were trying to lift his leg over the step.

drainage

drainage said:
Excuse me .... I sit in block 14 and take exception to your comments. If your logic is that no one sits by away fans please explain where we sit away fans given every block is next to another ???? I suggest you keep your comments to yourself its exactly the type of wind up you infer is happening in block 14.
Did I say you shouldn't be allowed to sit next to away fans?! I have had all sorts of language chucked my way from the people at the back of 14 for cheering my team and in fact just sitting in my seat. If wouldn't sit anywhere near the away fans as I'd probably react the same. That was all...
You certainly implied it - but as I now know you were hardly being fair, constructive or unbiased will treat your comments with the importance they deserve........ none !

Gaz G

I sit at the back of black 14.

We didn't do or say anything untill gobby opened her mouth and kicked off.

We certainly don't intimidate the away fans and if you feel we are intimidating perhaps it is you who is too sensitive.

If anything I find it rather amusing coming from a steelers fan as when we last played the steelers at home, the bad language and gestures were all coming from you lot. I remember this as I sit with my daughter and there are 2 little children sat next to me, in fairness I did shout over at the steelers fans but only to tell them to mind there language. It was a disgrace.

In general though we have good banter with the away fans and seem to get on with most from around the league. Apologies for shouting in your direction but have a look closer to home before you start having a pop at people on here. It was your supporters being a disgrace that caused any animosity between the 2 sets of fans.

Ger-Devils said:
Finny said:
Holl_5 said:
I am Holl_5. 5'10, 170lbs, brown hair, brown eyes. Anything else you want to know?
a/s/l

Don't worry, the guys who also use the CCMB will get the in-joke! :lol:
:lol:
Thanks for the useless info to a rheotorical question, not sure what the in joke is but not really interested.

As another post says you must have some class if you've chosen Cardiff to live in

Wannabe2

Holl_5 said:

As for the Vipers fans not being happy with something, i cant say i'm suprised there are a lot of Devils fans in Block 14 that make it their mission to make the away block an uncomfortable place for people and it was only a matter of time before someone bit back. I know i've bitten back to them numerous times. There seemed to be Vipers fans directing their attention mainly towards the back of Block 14 and it is these fans that i have had 'dealings' with in the past, they will comment and defend anything Cardiff and throw slurs and stereotypes about the away fans, and i'm suprised they bother to sit next to the away fans and get annoyed when the away fans support their own team.

In my own rink i sit far away from the away fans as i know their own bias annoys me, i wonder why other fans at other rinks dont do the same, if they cant keep quiet when serious issues happen such as tongiht.

I'm sure if it were a Devils player being helped off the ice, there would be uproar if opposition fans had sung and clapped the way Block 2 had tongiht. I know this wont be a popular view but thats how i feel. Quite prepared to get flamed to be honest! I still will feel disgusted at what i percieved to be poor actions, No matter what anyone else argues.

As for the game take nothing away from the Devils they deserved the win, and by the end of the second it was game over with lawson going in net, we will never know how many the Devils would have got tongiht in the third though, as after the injury to Marhle the Vipers players looked flat and uninterested in the outcome of the game, hardly suprising really though.

A couple of weeks ago Gazza272 said to me that he felt we would be better with Voth on the first line alongside Smith and Birbraer. I wasn't convinced........

He got Lucky :twisted:
I actually missed the Vipers game, but have 3 season tickets in Block 2, and think you are bang outa order mate. I have been following the Devils since time began and love the way opposite fans respect each other, and have a beer together, many Hockey fans have made friends from all over the Uk thanks to this great sport. Anyway my point is this in all the years i have been following the Devils, and all the different blocks i have sat in the old rink and the new, the people in block 2 are second to none, and these accusations are total nonsense. These people are very knowledable about this sport, and know how to treat away fans, and thats with the respect they would like to recieve when they are the travelling fans.

Wannabe2 said:
I actually missed the Vipers game, but have 3 season tickets in Block 2, and think you are bang outa order mate. I have been following the Devils since time began and love the way opposite fans respect each other, and have a beer together, many Hockey fans have made friends from all over the Uk thanks to this great sport. Anyway my point is this in all the years i have been following the Devils, and all the different blocks i have sat in the old rink and the new, the people in block 2 are second to none, and these accusations are total nonsense. These people are very knowledable about this sport, and know how to treat away fans, and thats with the respect they would like to recieve when they are the travelling fans.
I'm not questioning anyone's knowledge over hockey here though, Glynn, and I appreciate that there are plenty of seasoned fans who sit in Block 2. However, even those Devils fans in that block have stated that there was slow clapping/stomping coming from that block and they were as disgusted as me sitting 10 blocks away. It is always a minority and I'm glad it didn't spread.

As for my opinions regarding my own issues, I hardly made them up. Fair enough I've not heard or seen anything this season (yet) but right at the start of last season I received what I'd expect to hear, and dish out, on the football field (and that is far from ladylike). I'm hardly angelic, and I appreciate that things happen in the heat of the moment, but all I can base my opinions on is what I've experienced myself and that sticks in the memory.

I'm not Chrissie Lodge saying I've been chased across the car park into the 'Special mini-bus' or that I was nearly physically sick, (maybe if I was 4'11 I'd feel intimidated :lol: ) but I'm just offering my feelings over the incident, which seem to have been dismissed by some purely due to the team I support.