Devils v Stingrays - 30/10 - 7:00pm - CC - Chat/Updates

Good report Finny. I travelled all the way up from Cornwall for this one. Thought the crowd was disappointingly low for such an important Must Win Game. The forwards especially the first line of Pelle, Boom Boom and Mazka were excellent and Tyler has to be one of the best in the Elite league for all round ability. Considering the ridiculous schedule, which many of us have mentioned before, this was a terrific effort by the Devils. Some really cracking goals.
Same old, same old unfortunately defensively. Another two soft quick goals which had us all getting a bit jittery in the 3rd period until Hull pressed the destruct button with penalties taken as a result of good Devil’s pressure. Good news hopefully on Monday, but I don’t think one D man is enough, we really need TWO more.

osh

Finny; Good match report, what about tonight? Does G stick to more of the same or does he decide to be more cautious and just try and keep it as tight as poss in order to win ( as opposed to last night when perhaps they had to go for goals to getter a better goal diff tally)

ASHIPP

A good win for the Devils in order to strengthen their position in CC table 'Group of Death' - but it is still going to be nailbiting for qualification when Blaze and Panthers are factored in. Hull deserve credit for disrupting the Devils' pp on several chances......and pulling back to 5-4 to keep up the pressure.

Must say it - total admiration for the Smith Brothers last night who, despite being exhausted clocked an insane ammount of ice time and did a great job man-marking and clearing the puck from the zone most of the time. Mark made some fantastic moves and Kenton was instrumental in quick passing and creating attacking from the back. :cool: Such a pity that often it's the 'Rock Stars' that get the MOM awards and the dmen are overlooked even though they pull off superb 'in the background' performances. :x

Some 'banana skin' occassions again last night - particuarly at 2 all. Lyle appeared lacking in confidence at times. The PP was poor at times with too much passing and inevitably reduced shooting time, and gave Hull the chancel to knock the Devils off the puck and clear the zone. The goals were great but G's blue line slapshot to make it 2-2 was utter class :cool: in execution, as was Sir Tylor's (easily the Devils' MVP right now).....and judging by the reaction in the Blue Tent, few people (including the team) initially realised it had gone in!

Very dissappointed that the 2nd line of Voth, Finnerty and Hill seemed, IMHO, to contribute very little positively to the play and will be remembered in that game only for lost tempers and PIMs (excluding Hill from that).Also Ben Davies appeared only on the ice to cover for PIMs - hopefully his lack of icetime was simply to protect him from being targeted by very aggressive opposition? :?

TheStub

It was a good performance from an obviously exhausted team. Thought Symmo didn't look out of place, and despite some early jitters was solid. We need him logging decent ice time to continue to improve, as at the moment we aren't gaining much and he shows a decent amount of promise.

For me the big concern is Voth. He did little of value IMHO last night, failed to agitate and was generally a hinderence. The 2nd line look better with Ben on it, and the 10 minutes Voth sat may have been the best 10 of the game for us. Voth needs to up his game, or Ben should have his spot.

Overall we were poking rather than skating and generally looked shattered. But when we simplified our game and kept our heads we look by far the better team.

ASHIPP said:
The goals were great but G's blue line slapshot to make it 2-2 was utter class in execution, as was Sir Tylor's (easily the Devils' MVP right now).....and judging by the reaction in the Blue Tent, few people (including the team) initially realised it had gone in!
1st point from last night - must win game - did win game - well done G & the guys.

2nd point - I think ASHIPP is on the right lines, but for me doesn't go far enough - I think there is a case for Tylor to be created a Lord at the New Year's Honours List (Before anyone jumps in with the fact that he's from overseas and therefore can't be made a Lord - I know, but that is simply down to the fact that the rules were created by some doddery old fart with a wig back in the days when you had to write everything with a Pecock quill - Doesn't mean that the rules shouldn't change!!)

Final Point - Whoever in the Devils Organisation that determines contracts, should already have the pen ready for Lord Tylor of Michel to sign up to be a Devil for Life - END OF!!!

ASHIPP

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
ASHIPP said:
The goals were great but G's blue line slapshot to make it 2-2 was utter class in execution, as was Sir Tylor's (easily the Devils' MVP right now).....and judging by the reaction in the Blue Tent, few people (including the team) initially realised it had gone in!
1st point from last night - must win game - did win game - well done G & the guys.

2nd point - I think ASHIPP is on the right lines, but for me doesn't go far enough - I think there is a case for Tylor to be created a Lord at the New Year's Honours List (Before anyone jumps in with the fact that he's from overseas and therefore can't be made a Lord - I know, but that is simply down to the fact that the rules were created by some doddery old fart with a wig back in the days when you had to write everything with a Pecock quill - Doesn't mean that the rules shouldn't change!!)

Final Point - Whoever in the Devils Organisation that determines contracts, should already have the pen ready for Lord Tylor of Michel to sign up to be a Devil for Life - END OF!!!
G - if you reading this, Tylor needs to be signed NOW for the next 10 years.....or there will be a fan mutiny of catastrophic proportions!
Tylor is the embodiment of everyone's perception of a Cardiff Devil. He is, by a country mile, the team MVP right now.....the consumate all-rounder, mentally, physically, positionally, motivationally.
It's totally commendable that he is studying for a career as a fire-fighter - but the hockey appreciating public is not ready for him to retire for a long while yet! :D

IMO the biggest mistake G made is putting Tylor on D.

He rushes forward. Games he played D - 0 points, games he plays on forward - 5 points.............

osh

samidevils said:

He rushes forward. Games he played D - 0 points, games he plays on forward - 5 points.............

I think G's hands are tied on this one. He needed to add a temporary D due to injuries and missing players and I'm sure that putting Michel there meant he had a player who could forecheck, make hits, and go on the offence when able. In your opinion, who exactly would you have put on the D instead of him ?

Finny said:
Pretty good game that had it's moments.

Once again the Devils started like a house on fire, and took the lead on the penalty kill. Macrae cleared the zone and Birbraer beat the defencemen for speed, before taking his time and dragging the netminder out of his net before firing home.
Devils 1-0 Stingrays

However, the Stingrays kept themselves in the game and after Lyle had made a couple of good saves, the puck fell to Sladok on the blueline and his slapshot through a crowd of players missed everyone and went straight into the net.
Devils 1-1 Stingrays

Both sides were creating lots of good chances and Boucher in particular was making some great saves going from post to post very quickly. With the Devils continuing to be indisciplined the Stingrays took the lead on the powerplay after a scramble infront of the net allowed Kalmikov to force the puck home.
Devils 1-2 Stingrays

Within 17 seconds though the Devils were back on level terms, if perhaps a bit fortunately. Matzka crashed the net and though he lost the puck, it fell to Adams who fired a slapshot into the net. Boucher was furious though as Matzka had 'accidentally' nudged him aside and was still in the crease when the goal went in. However, I have seen players in the crease loads this season and the goals stand - so about time we had one go our way.

So 2-2 end of first, but I think the Devils were a bit fortunate to be level. As the seconds ticked down, Voth had the puck and someone on the bench shouted for him to shoot even though he was just inside our own half. He took a massive windup and fired the puck as the buzzer went, catching a Hull Dman in the chest. Voth ends up with a 10 min misconduct penalty - which I felt was harsh and wouldn't have been given against anyone other than him.

Game remained close with the Stingrays having chances to retake the lead until the Devils hit a purple patch around the midway point of the game. Boucher had been having a fantastic game, but when Birbraer burst down the left wing he left a huge gap on his near post (presumably expecting the pass) which Birbraer exploited and fired a rocket past him.
Devils 3-2 Stingrays

Seconds later, and after good work by his linemates, Tylor Michel raced onto a drop-pass from MacRae and his first-time slapshot flew into the top corner without Boucher even seeing it.
Devils 4-2 Stingrays

Stingrays are a bit shell-shocked and two minutes later that same line is causing havoc again. Boucher couldn't hold the initial shot and Michel bundled in the rebound.
Devils 5-2 Stingrays

To be fair, I felt the scoreline flattered the Devils a bit as the difference between the two sides wasn't 3 goals.

Devils started to try to kill the game off as we moved into the third period. I'm afraid I can't remember either Hull goal but two goals in 2 minutes brought the Stingrays right back into it early in the 3rd period. Uusivirta and Tendler the scorers.
Devils 5-4 Stingrays

Stingrays had a couple of good chances to equalise as the Devils remained indisciplined, but slowly the Devils got their game going again. In the final couple of minutes it was the Stingrays who started to get indiscplined and give the Devils a PP opportunity. Moving the puck around and taking their time until Pelle ghosts into the far post unmarked, Michel picks him out and Pelle fires it in from the tight angle.
Devils 6-3 Stingrays

Further penalties stop the Stingrays trying to comeback again, and in the final minute the Devils get a 5-on-3 and score in exactly the same fashion as the previous.
Final Score: Devils 7-3 Stingrays.

Overall I think the scoreline flattered the Devils as I didn't feel it was a 7-3 game. Boucher made some fantastic saves but also let a couple of softies in too.

I think a Belfast fan said last week that this was the best Hull team he had seen and I would agree with that. They look really good going forward and I can see them winning a lot of games this season. The one thing against them is that they will have a nightmare schedule due to starting the season late but I'd be amazed if they didn't qualify for the playoffs comfortably.
I can't see them breaking into the top 5 and I'm not sure they will be able to catch Braehead to 6th, but from what I've seen so far they are a fair bit better than the other 3 teams.

For the Devils, Matzka had his best game in a long time, Birbraer at times is unplayable and Pelle is probably the best sniper we have had since.... well.... Moria?

Sir Tylor of Michel was at his best again, some huge hits on the much taller Hull Dmen that sent them flying all over the ice.

Referee Dean Smith had some howlers but I didn't think he was as bad as some people were making out. The Devils were far more physical and niggly than in previous games and if you play like that then you are going to pick up penalties.

Overall a good win for the Devils and I wonder whether that 7th goal could be crucial in terms of goal difference for qualification to the CC Semi-finals.
Finny, Pretty good report, sure i was at a similar game but the game i watched finished 7-4!! :?

Finny

Do you know what, I've only just realised it was 7-4. For some reason when people have asked me the score today - I been telling them it was 7-3.

Whoops. :oops:

Gazza272

osh said:
samidevils said:

I think G's hands are tied on this one. He needed to add a temporary D due to injuries and missing players and I'm sure that putting Michel there meant he had a player who could forecheck, make hits, and go on the offence when able. In your opinion, who exactly would you have put on the D instead of him ?

It was here he should have had Faith in Symmonds and rolled with 4 D men. While Tylor can pretty much do it all in terms of effort and consistency we needed to keep that third line ticking in terms of momentum for me.

We were dead tired against Dundee who have shipped a lot of goals so having 2 lines who were scoring a lto of goals i would have loved to have seen us just go for it and seen how many we could have got. After a couple of goals Dundee's confidence may have been rocked again.

As it is I felt having Tylor in D handicapped us to only having one line. The second hasnt been playing well and the third was then disrupted.

drainage

Finny said:
Do you know what, I've only just realised it was 7-4. For some reason when people have asked me the score today - I been telling them it was 7-3.

Whoops. :oops:

Do you know you have had me thinking I have dementia all day !!! I thought I had dreamt they scored 4 after reading your (very good) write up !!!!

sure know how to scare an aging woman !

Forgot i'd posted here!!

Its a hard one, but our best players are on 3rd and 1st lines, so why not either as Gazza said, put faith in Symo or stick a 2nd liner on D as TBH they are the "weakest" line.

Why couldn't we bring up a D man from the ENL, just for a 30 second shift here and there to rest everyone else?

Anyway we struggled V newcastle IMO because our firepower was on D......