Devils v Stingrays - 30/10 - 7:00pm - CC - Chat/Updates

osh

7 - 4 ? Got to admire the resolve of the team tonight, great result and will give them a lot of confidence for tomorrow night, especially with the news of a new D being announced on Monday.

Nice win tonight. Looking good to progress in Challenge Cup and hopefully go one further than last year. Gutted I missed such an entertaining game tonight. Lets hope we can do it in the league again tomorrow.

Do I dare mention the 4 goals against off 18 shots... opps, just did. To be fair we are missing 2 defenders, but defensive record is pretty shocking this season. Just need the forwards to keep scoring 5+ per game until we sort that out!

Sorry - seems it was actually 4 against off 28 shots - Elite League site just updated shots on target. They seem to updating scoring stats / goalie stats striaght away though which is good. Lyle still bottom in terms of save percentage :?

Lets hope this defender with lots of NHL experience is impressive.

Loved Tylor's response to his boarding penalty tonight, which was to come straight back out and take his man out 6 feet short of them instead. Inspired :lol:

Great game tonight, nice to see Symonds with a good shift. Now for Ben.

To be honest from a totally biased point of view we never looked liked losing. But a very entertaining game.

Excellent news about the new signing can't wait for the Echo on Monday, only question is how quickly can he get here

Ger-Devils

Enjoyed tonights game, cruising at 5-2 then silly pens cost us a bit. Good to see the team keep working and some lovely goals.

Also not seen anyone mention it yet but Hull are looking much better this year and come to play hockey and not give up when a few goals down. Cloutier has done a good job and they're a tough team to break down. Some of them goals Boucher could do nothing about, Maxi ripped that 1 then Michel from the other side with no D infront.

Great news that we have a D being announced Monday......let the rumours commence!

Lyle looked shaky again tonight. He did make some decent saves, but at the moment he looks like he'll give away more goals than he'll prevent.

Symonds icing regularly was good as it got Tylor icing as a forward when 5 on 5, however his distribution costs us possesion all the time. I don't know if it's ability or confidence but he aimlessly shovels the puck to mid ice all the time, nearly always leading to a turnover.

I actually think his play without the puck is good, not many players get by him and he doesn't make many mistakes in that sense.

I just hope it is something that has been picked up on and is being dealt with.

Really enjoyed the game last night!

Tyler was again outstanding but hats off to Maxi, thought that was his best game this season!

Still think we need another 2 guys on D to come in. Reckon if we could solid up the Defence we could make a real impact expecially with the likes of Belfast, Nottingham etc struggling with injuries at the moment!

As a lot of you say, Happy Hockey Days!

Finny

Pretty good game that had it's moments.

Once again the Devils started like a house on fire, and took the lead on the penalty kill. Macrae cleared the zone and Birbraer beat the defencemen for speed, before taking his time and dragging the netminder out of his net before firing home.
Devils 1-0 Stingrays

However, the Stingrays kept themselves in the game and after Lyle had made a couple of good saves, the puck fell to Sladok on the blueline and his slapshot through a crowd of players missed everyone and went straight into the net.
Devils 1-1 Stingrays

Both sides were creating lots of good chances and Boucher in particular was making some great saves going from post to post very quickly. With the Devils continuing to be indisciplined the Stingrays took the lead on the powerplay after a scramble infront of the net allowed Kalmikov to force the puck home.
Devils 1-2 Stingrays

Within 17 seconds though the Devils were back on level terms, if perhaps a bit fortunately. Matzka crashed the net and though he lost the puck, it fell to Adams who fired a slapshot into the net. Boucher was furious though as Matzka had 'accidentally' nudged him aside and was still in the crease when the goal went in. However, I have seen players in the crease loads this season and the goals stand - so about time we had one go our way.

So 2-2 end of first, but I think the Devils were a bit fortunate to be level. As the seconds ticked down, Voth had the puck and someone on the bench shouted for him to shoot even though he was just inside our own half. He took a massive windup and fired the puck as the buzzer went, catching a Hull Dman in the chest. Voth ends up with a 10 min misconduct penalty - which I felt was harsh and wouldn't have been given against anyone other than him.

Game remained close with the Stingrays having chances to retake the lead until the Devils hit a purple patch around the midway point of the game. Boucher had been having a fantastic game, but when Birbraer burst down the left wing he left a huge gap on his near post (presumably expecting the pass) which Birbraer exploited and fired a rocket past him.
Devils 3-2 Stingrays

Seconds later, and after good work by his linemates, Tylor Michel raced onto a drop-pass from MacRae and his first-time slapshot flew into the top corner without Boucher even seeing it.
Devils 4-2 Stingrays

Stingrays are a bit shell-shocked and two minutes later that same line is causing havoc again. Boucher couldn't hold the initial shot and Michel bundled in the rebound.
Devils 5-2 Stingrays

To be fair, I felt the scoreline flattered the Devils a bit as the difference between the two sides wasn't 3 goals.

Devils started to try to kill the game off as we moved into the third period. I'm afraid I can't remember either Hull goal but two goals in 2 minutes brought the Stingrays right back into it early in the 3rd period. Uusivirta and Tendler the scorers.
Devils 5-4 Stingrays

Stingrays had a couple of good chances to equalise as the Devils remained indisciplined, but slowly the Devils got their game going again. In the final couple of minutes it was the Stingrays who started to get indiscplined and give the Devils a PP opportunity. Moving the puck around and taking their time until Pelle ghosts into the far post unmarked, Michel picks him out and Pelle fires it in from the tight angle.
Devils 6-3 Stingrays

Further penalties stop the Stingrays trying to comeback again, and in the final minute the Devils get a 5-on-3 and score in exactly the same fashion as the previous.
Final Score: Devils 7-3 Stingrays.

Overall I think the scoreline flattered the Devils as I didn't feel it was a 7-3 game. Boucher made some fantastic saves but also let a couple of softies in too.

I think a Belfast fan said last week that this was the best Hull team he had seen and I would agree with that. They look really good going forward and I can see them winning a lot of games this season. The one thing against them is that they will have a nightmare schedule due to starting the season late but I'd be amazed if they didn't qualify for the playoffs comfortably.
I can't see them breaking into the top 5 and I'm not sure they will be able to catch Braehead to 6th, but from what I've seen so far they are a fair bit better than the other 3 teams.

For the Devils, Matzka had his best game in a long time, Birbraer at times is unplayable and Pelle is probably the best sniper we have had since.... well.... Moria?

Sir Tylor of Michel was at his best again, some huge hits on the much taller Hull Dmen that sent them flying all over the ice.

Referee Dean Smith had some howlers but I didn't think he was as bad as some people were making out. The Devils were far more physical and niggly than in previous games and if you play like that then you are going to pick up penalties.

Overall a good win for the Devils and I wonder whether that 7th goal could be crucial in terms of goal difference for qualification to the CC Semi-finals.

timski said:
Really enjoyed the game last night!

Tyler was again outstanding but hats off to Maxi, thought that was his best game this season!

Still think we need another 2 guys on D to come in. Reckon if we could solid up the Defence we could make a real impact expecially with the likes of Belfast, Nottingham etc struggling with injuries at the moment!

As a lot of you say, Happy Hockey Days!
Our injury problems look to hopefully be easing. We signed Mike Jacobson and it sounds as if Shane Johnson may also be back in the Giants line up as cover, plus Mason is to return next week.. So only C.Hemingway and Benny are still out among are imports..

Finny said:
Overall a good win for the Devils and I wonder whether that 7th goal could be crucial in terms of goal difference for qualification to the CC Semi-finals.
Any particular reason you say that Finny? Haven't really been following it in detail and I doubt the Blaze will qualify as we always lose in Nottingham, but why would the 7th goal be crucial?

Gazza272

mazza03 said:
Did Ben play last night? An if not, why not?

Because Sam smith and Voth are at the moment performing better than him?

Let's be honest we arent going to bench Voth and Sam Smith is performing very well on the third line. No room for Ben at the moment I would say. Unfortunate but I cant say i can really argue with it.

Finny

mazza03 said:
Did Ben play last night? An if not, why not?
He played a couple of shifts in the second period when Voth was in the bin for 10 minutes, and did ok.
However, he and Sam Smith were at the start of the season fighting it out for the 3rd line spot and for me Sam has been the better player so far.

Finny

J.B said:
Any particular reason you say that Finny? Haven't really been following it in detail and I doubt the Blaze will qualify as we always lose in Nottingham, but why would the 7th goal be crucial?
I was under the impression that in the CC, if teams are equal on points it goes on goal difference.

We had a heavy defeat against Coventry and although we clawed back some the following night, we needed another big win to get us back in positive.

It's very close in our group and I would surprised if qualification doesn't go down to either a single point or even goal difference.

Really enjoyable match! A must win match and a win!

With the current situation in D, that's how we're gunna have to win games - all the forwards played very well. Special mention to BoomBoom who I think has looked way better this year with Matzka and Pelle.

The D we did have all played very well. Mark Smith in particular didn't put a foot wrong all night I think. Symmonds performed pretty well too! I think Lyle will be a little disappointed with 2 of their goals, but an improvment on Wednesday at the least -- hopefully his confidence will build when we have this new guy.

bluedevil said:
Lyle looked shaky again tonight. He did make some decent saves, but at the moment he looks like he'll give away more goals than he'll prevent.
agree, stevie obviously is not on form at the moment, but hopefully will find his form. Thought the 4 D did well last night, they are obviously trying to keep as many shots away from Stevie as poss, which is being shown in the low SOG for him in the past few games. Disagree with the symonds quote, in that he did'nt make any more bad passes last night than the other 3 D and the fact his plus/minus's were +2, would suggest he had an excellent game for a young guy. Thought G had an awesome goal and even though all 4 goals went in on his shift, there wasn't much that could be done, other than better positioning by G & smith possibly.

As for Ben, it's unfortunate that we are lucky enough to have so many playable forwards and I cant understand why we cant rotate all the forward players and not leave one on the bench for most or all of a game. My fear is that Ben will and probably has been approached by other elite teams who have played against him recently, I for one think that G should ensure all our brits are looked after and kept here, as the thought of them going to another elite team, developing in to excellent players over the next few years and then playing against us, would be a total disaster, I hope G is speaking to Ben continually, although I fear this is not the case.
As for all our forward guys, they all seem to be enjoying this season, lets hope this continues, as a happy team will always do well in my book.