Devils v Panthers - League - 24th Mar 24 - FO 1600

Wannabe2

In defence of Wannabe2, we’re so inconsistent that we’re just as likely to lose to the bottom club (Nottingham) 3 times as we are to beat the top team (Sheffield) 3 times.
That to me is pretty much the definition of inconsistent!
Thank you my friend, you explained everything I meant in just a few words. And spot on.

So with Belfast losing to Fife today, and losing to Nottingham the last time they played, and also being 8 points behind us having played a game more. We're still more inconsistent than them?
Surely by definition the most inconsistent team in the league is 5th..
If you read my post again you will see that I haven’t said we are the 'MOST' inconsistent, I said we are 'SO' inconsistent.

I still maintain though that we have probably the biggest 'swing' in performance levels, ie. consistency.
The majority of the teams from 4th place down have been consistently crap for the majority of the season!

Devils86

My head hurts, this is like "I'm Spartacus"

Or:
"I'm Brian"
"No, I'm Brian and so's my wife"

How about we agree that the Devils have not been as consistent as we would have liked.

I think you can blame Pietroniro for at least some of that. His actions were a huge turning point in the game. From cruising 3-0 up and looking good, the Devils found themselves a man down for a five minute major during which the Panthers scored two goals. That lifted the Panthers and unsettled the Devils. Totally unnecessary action which turned the game on its head. If you want consistency then a good place to start is not conceding pointless penalties like that.

E.D.S.

I think you can blame Pietroniro for at least some of that. His actions were a huge turning point in the game. From cruising 3-0 up and looking good, the Devils found themselves a man down for a five minute major during which the Panthers scored two goals. That lifted the Panthers and unsettled the Devils. Totally unnecessary action which turned the game on its head. If you want consistency then a good place to start is not conceding pointless penalties like that.
Not at all. Agreed it didn't help but we were woeful last night. Exiting the zone, tape to tape passing, defensively poor which led to a tough night for Bownsy..... etc etc

Not at all. Agreed it didn't help but we were woeful last night. Exiting the zone, tape to tape passing, defensively poor which led to a tough night for Bownsy..... etc etc
Agreed. But it all started there when they were 3-0 up and bossing the game. Five minute power play and two goals totally changed the context of the game. No need.

TL91

I’ve just seen the video of Chad’s hit which he got called for boarding on - looks a decent hit to me, personally albeit I’m sure there’s others with a much better view on it. Just interesting a lot calling him out here when you could argue it’s a poor call from the refs! Just looks like a fair hit to me.

The_Stick_

I’ve just seen the video of Chad’s hit which he got called for boarding on - looks a decent hit to me, personally albeit I’m sure there’s others with a much better view on it. Just interesting a lot calling him out here when you could argue it’s a poor call from the refs! Just looks like a fair hit to me.
I think the right call was made on the night. On first look it was a terrible hit, but on reflection the Panthers player does turn into it.

E.D.S.

I think it was worth 2 mins. The way the player went down didn't help. He went down like he'd been hit by a truck. Far too much of this coming into our game. When there's a high stick, there's big head flick and a covering of the mouth with the glove and when people get a nudge from behind they do that daft slide down the boards. Friend did it in Belfast following the softest of taps from Barrow. The curtains came out like at the Grand National, like they were about to shoot him and amazingly he got up and skated off. Then there's Greenfield last Wednesday - made of glass.

Jonesy83

On the night I thought it was a straight up boarding call but watched it from block 9.

After watching the highlights, I think it was more unlucky as the panthers player seemed to turn and stop to play the puck (couldn’t see that from my angle on Sunday).

Camera angle would have been the ref view.

Don’t really have a massive issue with it being a boarding call tbf, but not anywhere near as bad as I first thought.

But the fight that happened straight after was instigated by Kesell. He skated after Chad, tapping him with his stick who was skating away.

As much as I hate the instigator penalty, if it’s in the rule book, surely that was an easy call to make.

Wannabe2

Im with you mate, I didn’t think there was much in it one bit bad ref call as far I reckon.

E.D.S.

So frustrating for Chad. Starts brightly, gets his first point in a while, then gets 'no choiced' after the hit which leads to two 5 minute penalties which means he's kicked out.

TL91

For me I just think there needs to be certainty with these kind of calls - as we’ve seen this had quite the impact with the 5 min major. There’s video there, so can it be used for these kind of things? Don’t get me wrong don’t want to get into football/rugby terms where everything seems to be reviewed.

Devils86

I thought he was in trouble as soon as the Panther crumpled. He did turn away late which presented the numbers - thought it was from behind rather than a typical boarding call myself as he (from memory) went into the plexi. For me it was more of a minor penalty but I say that with red tinted glasses.

There were a few instances before that where Panthers had ended up hitting the boards without control and I was waiting on a boarding call. Already short benched they looked like they lost a couple - one fella in particular had his teeth handed to the bench by a stripe.

Had those incidents not happened then I reckon Chad could have got 2 mins. Would hope that whilst it will be reviewed by DOPS that it wouldn't qualify for supplementary discipline - it certainly wasn't a 5+game as some have incorrectly suggested. The second major was his ejection - just so happened to occur 5 seconds after the first major!

That being said he has history and is on DOPs radar for this season so could see him sit for a couple just on repeat offending.