Devils v Panthers - 10/12 @ 19:00 - League - Chat/Updates

Justtw

I agree on Bordeleau, he's better than Hendrixks but Louis, Myers and Hotham do more roughing than he does. Good luck on the refund though, can't say they will give it to you for the team playing bad.

Welshy74

Stay there till the end if the players are performing and we are just 2nd best but sorry that performance tonight was simply unacceptable at all levels of play. Maybe the players seeing fans leave is a wake up call that tonight was not acceptable.

I disagree. You pay your money, you deserve to get value for it. We were due a hiding. Feels like we've played not to full quota whilst grinding the results out, this felt like it was coming. Fans are entitled to do what they want IMO. I think it's the team that should be held accountable here.

<deleted> I'm honestly disgusted seeing fans leave, if the team is losing, you sit there and suffer, that's why we're fans.

osh

Well, we were well and truly 'Panthered' tonight. Let's first of all give credit to them. they were better in every single department, player for player, endeavour, effort, passing, forechecking and of course, scoring. We were even outshouted by 2 blocks of Panthers fans, credit where it's due.
Now, criticism where it's due. We looked disinterested even in the pre match warm up. We were lacklustre in the drills and at times the players were just stood messing about with the puck and talking to each other. Once again, Fournier and the 2 Hothams were bloody awful on defensive mode. They gave the puck away so many times and were caught out of position so many times it really was embarrassing. There is not one single player who I can give any sort of credit to after one of the worst home performances in many a year. This sort of loss has been on the cards for a few weeks, we have barely deserved to have won some of our recent games, but managed to scrape results. So much for our physical style of play when it's needed ! lets hope our team don't just go through the motions tomorrow, because they were certainly on the level of loose motions tonight. Can't even blame it on Ladies Night yet either.

Im a massive Bordy fan and feel when its going our way he does a perfect job! However at 2,3 or 4-0 down we needed him to rough someone up stop the wave of white and gold flooding us and just take the sting out the game. He is paid to protect and get things going when things aint plain sailing and it didnt happen tonight. Hopefully a better performance tomorrow. Glad i chose tomorrows game out the 2 to attend and just lost the £8.00 on the webcast tonight.

pjj365

There has been a discussion elsewhere on here about the 2 way street between fans and players

We can express our views in many ways Leaving is one but I have never left out of disappontment at losing. Tonight was a first because I could not stand to see what I percieved as lack of spirit by the team. That is a step too far in the suffering stakes

Does not make me less of a fan

Glad I was not there for the boos - that is unacceptable. Silence would be so much more effective

KaneDevils

There has been a discussion elsewhere on here about the 2 way street between fans and players

We can express our views in many ways Leaving is one but I have never left out of disappontment at losing. Tonight was a first because I could not stand to see what I percieved as lack of spirit by the team. That is a step too far in the suffering stakes

Does not make me less of a fan

Glad I was not there for the boos - that is unacceptable. Silence would be so much more effective
Disagree. Lose 8:0 at home, playing like that, you deserve every boo you get. Totally and utterly unacceptable.

Rob Batch

Gobsmacked !! History now though. Poor in every department , tomorrow we need to show our heart 'n' soul. Everyone has a bad day at the office, it's the response that counts ! The response in tonights game was non-existant, very surprising indeed !! A harsh lesson has been learnt, hopefully .

All I can say is the team looked and played like the were all hungover must have been their Christmas party last night. An extremely poor showing our defence was not there at all and has not been great all season. There seems to be a lack of passion and we have no speed at all. I just hope that the guys have their ass handed to them by the owners after they had is done by the panthers.

JC23

From Steve King on Twitter;
Unacceptable performance by our @cardiffdevils Despite our excellence this year there's no excuse for that. Very interested in our response

kristian

Time to brush ourselves and look forward to Steelers now.

Think they all need to look at what went wrong from the first to last minute tonight

Need a big reaction
Did Lord not play the last period

Mooney#16

I couldn't give a monkeys about the score line but yes agree with most that performance was way way below standard. But I have to say I have the utmost respect for Lordo and Els but there were some seriously shite coaching decisions in that game. And before anyone goes there. Franny is no better.

Panthers have a massively aggressive penalty kill. They crowd the puck very quick in numbers on zone entry. You have to find the opposite wing to spread the zone. This won't happen if the off side winger drifts to the middle And takes the off side D in with him. Poor special teams scouting I thought.

However my biggest fear is what we have all said was a good thing in Bordy not fighting came back to haunt us. I think it was Panthers 6 goal. Cluster puck. That tree had just nailed Martin. Everyone is angry. Bordy and Lordo are chirping off the bench and next play Batch steps up leaving his lane to try to get him to go. Panthers attack his vacated wing and score. Now I stress this wasn't Batchy fault though a bit dopey. The face off was in front of the Devils bench. Doucet was two feet away. As the puck drops change Douc for Bordy straight away and let him go and slap the tree. Batch stays in position and you get your message across whilst maintaining positional discipline. I know Lordo is a pretty honourable coach but he has to start to develop tactical repatoire. Tonight needed a huge reaction in the physical stakes and it needed dare I say it a down right portion of filthy cheap hockey thrown in like a decent goalie bump and some borderline late hits. Just climb into the trenches stuff. Your getting humped. Show you hate it and take it out on the opposition. Discipline has served Devils really well this season so far but tonight at about 3-0, 4-0 Devils needed to drag that game into the mud. The staunch stance on style of play seriously handcuffed Devils chances to get back into that game.

Samael

Wow. I wasn't expecting that sort of scoreline. Seems the threats made by Panthers management about changes did the trick and they bucked their ideas up. I wasn't at the game myself as I'm working again tonight (and skivving right now) but if all the comments on here about a lacklustre physical display, swiss cheese defence and lack of interest from our lot are true then Lordo and Todd need to take note of Panthers management of the situation. Seems some guys here are getting complacent and too comfy. All the talk about how great the team unit is and how they all get on and have a laugh counts for NOTHING when we are posting embarrassing scorelines like that. Time for management to get tough methinks and tell some of the players the Christmas holidays have not started yet so they still need to turn up for work and earn their sodding wages. I feel really sorry for the fans who paid good money for that.

ASHIPP

Congratulations to the Panthers. A masterclass in tactics and gameplan. Corey had certainly done his homework and his coaching experience showed.

Devils outclassed in every aspect of the game. Watching a replay of that game will show how to be completely dominant in every area. Defensive play, man-marking, positioning, every Panthers player knew his role.

Think the shock of p1 destroyed the Devils' confidence and heart in this game. They are so much better than to let it get to them.They need to show an immediate and dominant response tomorrow. Whilst we cannot expect our Team to win every game, it's reasonable to expect them to play with grit and spirit.

Credit to a handful of guys who flogged their guts out and tried to create chances and energy especially Mark Louis, Joey Martin, Joey Haddad, Matthew Myers. Lord needs to decide whether he's playing or coaching in these huge games. It's surely impossible to make clear decisions or changes when you cant see the whole game from the bench.

Hopefully Culli will be fit for tomorrow night - the calmness and simplicity of his play was misssed tonight.

matbur

Lack of fight, desire when up against was the most disappointing aspect tonight. Bordy fell short in terms of leadership and taking some responsibility but except for Piggot, Lord and Louis, the whole team were way short of what is an acceptable standard.

Hopefully a few home truths will have been said in the locker room after the game and they up their game somewhat tomorrow night.