Devils v Giants - Wed 1 Feb 2017 - CC SFinal 1st Leg - FO 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Devil94

2300 is about 400 more than the BBT full. TK should be pleased with that for a mid week game.
All cash too, with ST not included.

Has the makings of a great game, have had some belting CC semi finals clashes with Belfast last few years. The last game against them puts some extra spice on it too.

Kal

I'm really looking forward to this, hoping its similar to our last game with them but with the Devils putting in another of those near perfect 60 minute performances! and a win ofc.

Electro

Should be a barn stormer, moved commitments weeks ago in readiness for this.

Have to say having 2300 fans in tonight is still a great achievement, 12 months ago most fans didn't foresee filling the IAW regularly, in hindsight complaining it's not sold out on a school night for a CC game is a little naive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Russky

Greatly disappointing. we didn't turn up in the third. Not the refs finest hour in charge with some very bemusing calls. Lordo should have called a time out just to stop the Giants momentum when the Giants pulled it back to 4-4. A lot of players were strangely and apparently not having an influence on the game for the Devils in the third, that tbey did in the first two periods.
The Devils now need a miracle at the SSE next week to get back into this Semi to have a chance of winning it.

E.D.S.

Yep.... two good periods and then we lost our way a bit. Was it the discipline or was the ref just calling bizarre plays. Clear hooks and trips went unpunished and he seemed to be letting the game flow and then he had 20 mins of calling everything.
He's not the reason we lost but it must have made for a difficult game to play in.
Next leg will be interesting. Tough place to go and win but this team can certainly do it on their day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

Disappointing result, but a great game to watch, thoroughly enjoyed it besides some weird calls. Two very good teams playing some awesome hockey, some of our play tonight was a pure joy to watch. Tough call in the return game, but we don't have anything to lose now, and this team can turn it around. Rumours that Mo has broken his ankle but no confirmation of that, if so speedy recovery Jake. Anyway really enjoyed tonight, it's only half time lads, we can do this.

Well that was a game we threw away with petulance. All the calls Smith called were correct....admittedly he let a fair amount go which personally I believed he should of called. But frustration got the better of a couple of the lads instead of doing it the Haddad way, hit them make them work and then they will get called with the penalties with their annoyance.
That first 40 minutes was some of the better play the Devils have played and against a team that is full of confidence.
But it's a one goal game with 60 minutes to play. And in some ways I'm more comfortable with being one goal down then being two up going into Belfast. We have to play for 60 minutes and go toe to toe hit for hit with them.
And Martin ......well this guy is just a god

jenks33

Gutted. I would have been disappointed with 4-4 but to lose it was a sickener. I know there are dozens of what ifs in a game of hockey but how crucial was that missed one on one bentivoglio had in the third. 5-2 is a long way back.
For years I thought Dean Smith was a decent ref but he's been abysmal this year. Some of those calls tonight (Against both teams) in a cup semi final were a joke. That soft penalty on lord with 1.38 left was the cherry on top of a pathetic performance. That's all you want is consistency but he seemed to let a lot of things go and then call silly penalties. He must have missed half a dozen clear penalties on A.Hotham.
As for Walser, what can you say. Bizarre behaviour from a player coach. You could maybe expect it more from a Nickerson character but not from the coach! I've never particularly liked the giants but Walser's behaviour tonight has made me like them even less. In the words of Kevin keegan "I will love it if we beat them, love it!"

backrow

We had chances to move or clear the puck shortly before the penalty which led to their 3rd goal and just seconds before their 4th goal.
Smith was absolutely terrible. The final penalty call on Lordo who was being blatantly held behind their net was brutal that late in the game after so many non calls. Say what you want but it basically gifted the win to Belfast.

Meridian

I think one of the big differences tonight was we played for 50 minutes the giants played for 60. I thought we were at our best the first 2 periods and deservedly lead by 2. However the first 10 in the third we were second best and it cost us.
As dodgy as some of the calls were unfortunately we should be used to refs inconsistencies and shouldn't leave the game in any doubt. Any game of the season the ref could cost us a few goals we saw that in Coventry a few weeks back. If we had played for the full 60 I think we would be taking a lead into next week

osh

Firstly, lost a lot of respect for Walser tonight when he skated off halfway through the National Anthem ! He quite rightly got a 10 minute penalty, but it just shows his lack of class and respect for a country's anthem.
As for the game, played very well for a period and a half and then stopped doing the right things for no apparent reason. We took absolutely dumb penalties when we didn't need to and they cost us dearly. Bowns will want at least 2 of those goals back, and he still worries me with the number of rebounds he gives up. Many players went missing when it mattered tonight, at 4 - 2 up we were looking good, and then we gave the game away in my opinion. I have to say that Lords penalty in the last 2 minutes was dumb and he - amongst others - was anonymous apart from a couple of checks during the game and as the coach it was plain stupid.
If rumour's of Morrissettes injury are correct, we have 2 weeks to bring in another very much needed player ( I understand the transfer cut off date is 15th Feb ). I'm more disappointed in tonight's result as we had it won at one stage and then went missing.

I think one of the big differences tonight was we played for 50 minutes the giants played for 60. I thought we were at our best the first 2 periods and deservedly lead by 2. However the first 10 in the third we were second best and it cost us.
As dodgy as some of the calls were unfortunately we should be used to refs inconsistencies and shouldn't leave the game in any doubt. Any game of the season the ref could cost us a few goals we saw that in Coventry a few weeks back. If we had played for the full 60 I think we would be taking a lead into next week

Can't blame the referee for turning the puck over for their 2nd goal, anrd their 4th goal although Smith made some weird calls in the 3rd and we appeared to be on the wrong end of some of the calls .
A pity the game ended that way as we played well the first 2 periods and missed a 1 on 1 that would have put us 5-2 up and I think would gave killed Giants off!

Still a 1 goal game means all to play for in 2 nd leg...

Meridian

Can't blame the referee for turning the puck over for their 2nd goal, anrd their 4th goal although Smith made some weird calls in the 3rd and we appeared to be on the wrong end of some of the calls .
A pity the game ended that way as we played well the first 2 periods and missed a 1 on 1 that would have put us 5-2 up and I think would gave killed Giants off!

Still a 1 goal game means all to play for in 2 nd leg...
Sorry if I came across wrong but that's what I was trying to say. We should be used to the refs and put the game beyond doubt

Played well in the first 2 periods then the Giants return to their dirty off the puck ways and Smith throws the game their way with some bemusing calls while ignoring others.
Let's turn up at theirs and play like we can (and did in the first 2) for a full 60. Then we can bag the win.

And Walser should have been taught a lesson. Hopefully we can give it to him later this season