Devils v Giants - Wed 1 Feb 2017 - CC SFinal 1st Leg - FO 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1

The DEVILS bid to get to the Final of the Challenge Cup to be held in Ice Arena Wales now hots up with the first leg of the semi-final against the Belfast Giants.

If the DEVILS are going to clinch the League title this season they have to start beating the Giants and this Cup game is a good place to start.

We'll be running the ever popular Match Night Live service for this game so if you cannot get along to the IAW to cheer on the team you are welcomed to join us at MNL for our unique brand of biased reporting at the t the usual location of of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you want to make a score prediction or give us your update of the game all this can be done by contacting us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

In recent games more and more texts are coming through from the IAW, texters are always needed so if you can help us out please get in touch by PM or text the MNL line on 07527 625206

KaneDevils

This could be a good momentum swing not just for our cup aspirations, but for the league championship too.
What a boost it would be knowing we can beat the in form side.
With lord back playing and ulmer hitting good form, the immediate future is looking bright.

Let's fight for everything and see what happens. I'd love us to win the league for all you long serving fans. You've been through the mill what with one thing and another (before my time some of it) and also for sorac and all that you've done to bring us a worthy (yet slightly smallish ;)) new home.

Let's do this!!!

voth26

Show respect to the giants but not to much, but let them worry about us. We need to be patient, disciplined and relaxed and hopefully we can play the way we played that put us top of the league. The guys are going to need our support for not just this game but every game till the end of the season.

Rob Batch

The attitude the guys played with Saturday was exactly right. No nonsense, professional and confident. We can crush Belfast on Wednesday IF we play in that same manner. The Challenge Cup final is within our grasp if we play in that classy, professional way!! This team is a joy to watch when they play to their true potential. Easy for me to say, harder for them to do !!

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Confidence, discipline, hard work and defensive responsibility are the keys. If the Devils can play like they did over the weekend (just like they were playing back in October and November), they are in with a real chance.

Fans will remember years ago the Devils used to dread the Giants coming to our place...or going to theirs because they were so superior.

Since the new ownership, Devils have beaten them several times. Giants are playing fantastic hockey at the moment but they shouldn't be feared. Their visit to our home should be made as uncomfortable as possible.

Wannabe2

Hit, Hit, Hit, and Hit more, throw these guys off their game, this is our house, let's make sure they know that. Let's get our gaff rocking, let's be the extra player on the ice. Let's let these guys know they may be second, but that's as far as it goes second. We are leaders at the moment for a very good reason, yes we have had our blip, but hopefully we have HAD our blip, and now is the time to show this lot who is boss, Come on lads let's do this, leave it all out there on the ice, Giants are a good team, but not as good as us.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

Electro

I hope we play a lot better than we did over the weekend, Nottingham didn't turn up and flyers wasn't that convincing.

Having said that both teams are going into this needing the win, equal pressure can have an unpredictable effect, could go either way as many games have this season.

Makes for bloody entertaining games. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see how the Giants approach this game with Bordeleau and Lord in the lineup compared to the last game, they brought a really physical game which we haven't seen before this season from them

Wannabe2

Both teams with plenty of Hoyle,Giants with Keefe, Nickerson, Vandermeer, Riley , Martinelli etc, Devils with Bordeleau, Louis, Lord, Batch and Hotham, it's going to get a wee bit heated. Let's do it lads.

Ocko

Yup should be one of the more physical games this year, Giants have a stacked roster for toughness. Martinelli is no fighter though, and when he rarely does he's awful he's only had 3 fights outside of junior hockey.

DevilDom

After Martinelli's actions in the last game hope Bordy smashes him all over the ice. He needs to be sent a message that he can't take liberties with our players just because Bordy was suspended.
I also hope Bordy reminds Nickerson who is the biggest dog after him giving it large during and after the last game they were here.

I just hope that we don't go into our shells and let them win the physical battle as we did as the game wore on last time against them. Hopefully with a relatively fresh Lord in the side and Bordealeau back that won't happen, but we need everyone to maintain the physicality.

Looking forward to what should be a cracking game!

Ocko

Bordy should be chomping at the bit for this game. He's played really well recently, his game has improved and seems as if he's rediscovering his hockey skills that years of fighting had lost. And seeing his team knocking around while he was out couldn't have been great for him as a spectator.

I expect him and the rest of the team to drag this game through the trenches. Result is of the upmost importance but so is sending a message to our now biggest rivals.

Big game for Bordy and he's up to the challenge in my opinion. Last game showed why he is so important. He wasn't on the ice and Nickerson felt he could push his weight around. Not a criticism of Louis, who stepped up and could claim a marginal victory in that tilt. But Louis was covering two roles that night. Play Bordy, play Lord, and rest a smaller skill player. Hit (cleanly) everything and lay down the marker. This is a 120 minute game and Belfast have huge momentum, it must be stopped within 5 mins of face off.

ASHIPP

Interesting to read Derek Walser's comments about his team's double win over the Steelers at the weekend. He talks particularly about excellent netminding and clinical finishing from his forwards. Very little mention of physicality and aggression - but a big emphasis on hardwork. Think this is one aspect of the Giants' game that won them the game down here a fortnight ago. They forced numerous turnovers and won the board battles. Our guys spent so much time trying to win back possession that they could not set up sufficient chances.

Am sure Lordo and the Guys will know exactly what's required to get the advantage tomorrow.

Massively looking forward to this game. I really hope we put on a display that shows we are not going to let trophies slip away this year and will fight to the end on all fronts. I can't take a 3rd year straight of being the EIHL "chokers"!

Wannabe2

Really looking forward to tonight's game, it could easily be one of the best games of the season, fingers crossed, The top two teams battling against each other, a huge game for both, we need a good win tonight, although we are playing well away from home. Hopefully a good crowd and plenty to feel happy about.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS