Devils v Giants - Sat & Sun - League - Chat/Updates

Mo's goal was up there with Culligan's against the Blaze last year. Absolutely unreal finish. It was only when I watched the highlights back I realised just how good it was.

I enjoyed my weekend in Cardiff, great vibrant city which now has a really good rink.

Pity how the weekend panned out. I felt the Giants played well on the Sunday and very disappointed we didn't win that game. To lose it in that manner, by a fanned pass was heart breaking.

The new rink looked great. Maybe some teething issues but those will be worked out.

Anyway I badly need sleep and nearly have a voice. But great weekend.

jimmy snels

chris592 said:
I enjoyed my weekend in Cardiff, great vibrant city which now has a really good rink.

Pity how the weekend panned out. I felt the Giants played well on the Sunday and very disappointed we didn't win that game. To lose it in that manner, by a fanned pass was heart breaking.

The new rink looked great. Maybe some teething issues but those will be worked out.

Glad you had a good time (albeit without the result you wanted ). Out of curiosity did you feel nickerson challenging Hendrikx to the fight was a turning point and poor decision? Every person i spoke to (all devils) felt he put personal retribution ahead of the team goal and swung momentum girmly the devils way.

KaneDevils said:
Good o.t goal from kurka, but for me, Mo's second goal was the goal of the game. Wonderful finish.
A thing of beauty no doubt and on the backhand. I remember Jeff Pierce (Because he's worth it!) batting one in high out of the air a few years back in the BBT but this one is better IMHO. The skill required to get the shot away makes it better.

Kurka's was great. The way he evaded the back check to be able to get his shot away was sublime.

The first couple of games at IAW have certainly been blessed with great goals. Forney's (I think it was him) on Saturday was excellent also. Lovely play and finish.

jimmy snels said:
chris592 said:

Glad you had a good time (albeit without the result you wanted ). Out of curiosity did you feel nickerson challenging Hendrikx to the fight was a turning point and poor decision? Every person i spoke to (all devils) felt he put personal retribution ahead of the team goal and swung momentum girmly the devils way.
Nope I have no issue with that. And I hope Nicko challenges him again Wednesday.

For me the turning point was the penalties. Thought some of the calls where soft. Garside hooking was nonsense, and forney also got 2 mins for tripping I think, and honestly it looked like the Devils player lost his edge on the wet ice. Felt a couple of nothing calls went against us, then after that we lost our cool and started taking stupid penalties. For me that was the turning point. We lost our cool and let the Devils right back into it.

Honestly felt hogarth lost control of the game and looked lost for periods of it. Cardiff are a good team but when we have 5 player's sitting in the box it's an up hill battle.

But even at that we regrouped and came back. Felt in OT we had the pressure in the zone. With the Devils player missing a stick it became a massive chance to win. But an awful missed pass by ganzak allowed kurka to skate in and win it for you guys.

To be fair it's been the same pit falls for the giants all season. A bad call goes against us and we lose our composer and take other multiple penalties. This season has been one of major disappointment. Soo frustrating and personally I'll be glad it's over so we can rebuild.

I like walser, very passionate and wears his heart on his sleeve. But hopefully he can learn from this year, think he needs to be more of a calming influence with the team .

But that's just my opinion :)

We did have hendrix wife on at us most of the game haha

august04

chris592 said:
jimmy snels said:
chris592 said:

Nope I have no issue with that. And I hope Nicko challenges him again Wednesday.

For me the turning point was the penalties. Thought some of the calls where soft. Garside hooking was nonsense, and forney also got 2 mins for tripping I think, and honestly it looked like the Devils player lost his edge on the wet ice. Felt a couple of nothing calls went against us, then after that we lost our cool and started taking stupid penalties. For me that was the turning point. We lost our cool and let the Devils right back into it.

Honestly felt hogarth lost control of the game and looked lost for periods of it. Cardiff are a good team but when we have 5 player's sitting in the box it's an up hill battle.

But even at that we regrouped and came back. Felt in OT we had the pressure in the zone. With the Devils player missing a stick it became a massive chance to win. But an awful missed pass by ganzak allowed kurka to skate in and win it for you guys.

To be fair it's been the same pit falls for the giants all season. A bad call goes against us and we lose our composer and take other multiple penalties. This season has been one of major disappointment. Soo frustrating and personally I'll be glad it's over so we can rebuild.

I like walser, very passionate and wears his heart on his sleeve. But hopefully he can learn from this year, think he needs to be more of a calming influence with the team .

But that's just my opinion :)

We did have hendrix wife on at us most of the game haha
It was a stupid, selfish penalty which put personal retribution ahead of the team. I hope he challenges Hendrikx on Wednesday night too - clearly his mind will be elsewhere and not thinking about his defensive duties if that's the case. All that gesturing to the crowd was laughable as Hendrikx was the only one landed a decent punch! Nickerson got the takedown but who cares about that, it's not the WWE! The fight got the crowd into a game that Giants had dominated to that point and then Belfast imploded the next 5-10 minutes. More of the same please on Wednesday.

For me Hendrix needed to answer the bell for injuring him. I love this sport and this is one of the reasons why. Tough guys settling issues on the ice. Losing Nicko for 5 mins wasn't team reason we lost. You had hendrix out for 5 also. Those penalties cancelled each other out.

I love the toughness hockey. And I don't want that to change. I don't feel that was the reason we lost that game. It was the glut of penalties leaving us with 4 other players in the box that cost us.

The fight was clearly a draw too. Was hardly a classic slug fest. But you know what I don't care. Nickerson and hendrix both stepped up and I respect that. And it was certainly not the reason we lost that game.

Silly penalties and a missed pass by ganzak was the reason we lost that game.

chris592 said:
For me Hendrix needed to answer the bell for injuring him.
chris592 said:
And I hope Nicko challenges him again Wednesday.
Completely disagree that Hendrikx deliberately injured him however given that Nickerson was gunning for his blood I've got nothing but respect for Hendrikx for not shying away from him and stepping up to 'answer' for 'injuring' him.

So why on earth should Nickerson challenge him again? He's 'answered' him. That should be it. When is Nickerson going to stop? When he's injured Hendrikx? Have we learnt nothing from Janssen's witch hunt against Marsh which let's face it ended his season and possibly career.

The sooner premeditated fighting is stamped out of hockey the better in my opinion.

KaneDevils

Tyke Devil said:
KaneDevils said:
Good o.t goal from kurka, but for me, Mo's second goal was the goal of the game. Wonderful finish.
A thing of beauty no doubt and on the backhand. I remember Jeff Pierce (Because he's worth it!) batting one in high out of the air a few years back in the BBT but this one is better IMHO. The skill required to get the shot away makes it better.

Kurka's was great. The way he evaded the back check to be able to get his shot away was sublime.

The first couple of games at IAW have certainly been blessed with great goals. Forney's (I think it was him) on Saturday was excellent also. Lovely play and finish.
Kurka's goal was a gem, but you see those type of breakaways a lot in hockey, where as Mo's goal is a rare sight. A truly fantastic goal. Ive watched a lot of NHL and haven't seen too many goals of that nature. Lets not start a topic on Jeff Pierce though!! :lol:

KaneDevils said:
Tyke Devil said:
KaneDevils said:

Kurka's goal was a gem, but you see those type of breakaways a lot in hockey, where as Mo's goal is a rare sight. A truly fantastic goal. Ive watched a lot of NHL and haven't seen too many goals of that nature. Lets not start a topic on Jeff Pierce though!! :lol:
Jeff Pierce was an egnima....wonder what he is doing now?

Merthyr Devil said:
chris592 said:
For me Hendrix needed to answer the bell for injuring him.
chris592 said:
And I hope Nicko challenges him again Wednesday.
Completely disagree that Hendrikx deliberately injured him however given that Nickerson was gunning for his blood I've got nothing but respect for Hendrikx for not shying away from him and stepping up to 'answer' for 'injuring' him.

So why on earth should Nickerson challenge him again? He's 'answered' him. That should be it. When is Nickerson going to stop? When he's injured Hendrikx? Have we learnt nothing from Janssen's witch hunt against Marsh which let's face it ended his season and possibly career.

The sooner premeditated fighting is stamped out of hockey the better in my opinion.

Did I say he deliberately injured him? No i didn't. I think it was a freak accident but I still see how Nicko wanted to fight. Just like if Nicko injured hendrix then I'm sure he would want a fight.

Let the big lads fight If they want. Nickerson offered him out hendrix accepted. I respect that, both these guys are doing what they do best, no one was jumped no one was forced into it. And it was more hand bags anyway .

Cardiff for me are a tough hockey team, and I have always admired that style of play.

But anyway I came on here to praise Cardiff as a city and the new arena. I gave my opinion on a fight on if it changed the game or not. Not to argue about picky things. Accept the praise and move on :)

bdevil

I'm shocked no one has mentioned that dirty, cheap hit from Rutherford on Hotham. Ganzak had already been called for interference, game had stopped and Rutherford took Hotham's feet from underneath him from behind. Only a 2 min cross checking penalty was given..
With regards to the fight, it was just after we'd scored so a dominant win from Nickerson may have killed any momentum we had from just scoring. Obviously, and gladly, didn't turn out that way but that have been in his thinking.

chris592 said:
Did I say he deliberately injured him? No i didn't.

Let the big lads fight If they want. Nickerson offered him out hendrix accepted. I respect that, both these guys are doing what they do best, no one was jumped no one was forced into it.
I didn't say you did. Was just saying in general because Nickerson has claimed he did numerous times. And I agree that if they both want to fight go for it. It was more that you said you hoped Nickerson would go after him again on Wednesday, when for me the matter is done.

I personally hope Hendrikx does what he does best on Wednesday night and sticks to defending. He's been one of our better players these past few weeks during our mini slump.

And I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Cardiff :)

James

Administrator
Sheincar said:
Should Nickerson also have been called for illegal equipment as fight strap undone?
I'm not sure if its still a rule or not but it used to be that the other participant of the incident or the opposing bench would need to call the equipment penalty not the ref. If we didn't request it, the officials can't call it. I seem to remember MacIver called it numerous times after being thrown out for it early season.