Devils v Giants - 08/09 @ 18:15 - League - Chat/Updates

Martynwo said:
In the 3rd we looked tired even with the 4 lines running
I don't think they played the 4 lines as they should of, I only saw Rupert in 3rd period, if guys are getting tired use the youngsters, they showed they were up to it last year

Poor result , I think this team are certainly capable of taking on the top teams .

Devils fell for Keefe's master stoke , take a player out and draw the penalty , conboy lost his head , if he had just waited he would have had a chance to take him out and probably only get 5 mins.
The guys looked like they ran out of gas , what can you expect given the travel over the last 2 days .
Myers stood on his head between the pipes up at fife last night but tonight he let Belfast see too much of the net.

danhall76 said:
the devil himself said:
I agree with him sending a message definitely! However wouldn't the correct and sportsman like way of doing so be to wait for keefe to stand up, then fight him properly? We would be moaning like hell if keefe had done that to one of our players? We've played what five games? He's avoided a 5 game ban luckily and picked up a game ban tonight? Hands down plumton could have sent a message In the correct way? Plenty of players inside our locker room who would be able to fill the enforcer role.
He has not picked up a game ban, he got a 5+game.

Keefe would have done the same I would imagine. Plus i would hardly say he is the most sportsmanlike at times.
so he did pick up a game ban then yea? Match means he won't play next game. Stupid move and lost us the game. Played 5 games and thrown out of two of them? Not a great statistic is it really?

Ocko

I think people are being kind when they said that joe played 'alright' etc. he was awful and was exposed tonight. I have no doubt at all that an average EIHL goalie would have saved 6 of those. I can't blame many of the players too much, it has to be soul destroying to keep getting pegged back conceding nothing goals. With the exception of the majority of the 3rd when there was nothing left to play for, I thought we were the better team. We would have beaten this giants team comfortably with lacosta.

How can anyone moan about Conboy for sticking up for his teammates when that is what we have been crying out for for years?! If it was a 2+10 call no one would have said anything; because that's all it was. He didnt even throw a punch it was a non event really. Same for Phillips 2 mins max, not 3rd man in. There has to actually be a fight for that. If you think Conboy was in the wrong I suggest you watch a less physical sport.

steve

We lost - that was the only fair result. But to have been that gutless, not
impressed. We've been ultra physical and played a very aggressive forecheck in the pre-season. Now it's for real we play like pussies!

Ocko

We didnt see the real devils team tonight. They tighten up around Myers and rightly so I am 100% sure all the players would play considerably differently with Lacosta in nets.

ASHIPP

Ocko said:
We didnt see the real devils team tonight. They tighten up around Myers and rightly so I am 100% sure all the players would play considerably differently with Lacosta in nets.
Did they? Thought Joe was exposed on several occassions in p3 as Devils pushed forward for goals. 1 Giants' goal was gifted by a poor pass from one of our players, another through a player slipping and a third as a direct result of a silly penalty giving Giants a pp in last 4 minutes.

august04

I don't know whether Lacosta was concussed last night, but if he was, this could be a real problem for the Devils. Possibly 2 concussions in less than a fortnight - he could/should be out for weeks, maybe longer. He cannot be rushed back too soon after this latest incident.

Gazza272

I really don't agree the Giants were better. As a team our heads dropped when it was clear that with Myers in net the game was beyond us. the 3rd and 4th Giants goals I'd say he would want back.

Before this though we had the Giants camped in their zone for large portions of the game in Period's 1 and 2. I think it's easy when a game ends in the manner it did to think we were that bad, but I think if we were to watch the game as a whole tomorrow morning there were lots of positives to take.

I still think Conboy did the right thing, we got a bench to role 4 lines and have Plumton, Ross, Adams, Max, Batch plus more to handle the physicality of a game, it should not affect us that much him leaving.

I don't want to put this result on Joe's shoulders because I think he has an impossible position, but I definitely think his weak goals affected the make up of this game, and I think we would have won that game with Lacosta in net.

Ocko

ASHIPP said:
Ocko said:
Did they? Thought Joe was exposed on several occassions in p3 as Devils pushed forward for goals. 1 Giants' goal was gifted by a poor pass from one of our players, another through a player slipping and a third as a direct result of a silly penalty giving Giants a pp in last 4 minutes.
Joe was exposed because he positioning was poor, he was nowhere near any of their goals. There are always little mistakes by players defending if their isn't there wouldn't be a need for a netminder at all. The giants knew this hence why the were shooting from everywhere.

I actually thought out d were excellent for 50 minutes.

As a Giants fan I don't think tonight was a fair reflection. I was very worried after 35 ish minutes. I think on another night with your top class netminder playing that could have been very different. Also factor in your massive travel and we had a real early season rub of the green. I suppose for you guys, you're hoping that, that sort of luck will even out over a season. I do think you guys will be in the mix come the season's end.

Diafol

The first 2 periods were quite encouraging. To come back from 2 down showed some of the fight which had been lacking last season - just a shame the guys' heads collectively dropped during the third.

The Giants will be challenging for the title no doubt.

I agree entirely with Ocko about Conboy - I cannot believe people are calling for his head on the first weekend of the league season.

There is, however, a silver lining this evening:

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/stats/game ... me_id=1623

http://www.ih-update.co.uk/game_details.php?id=3292

ASHIPP said:
Ocko said:

Agree. Even the last few goals.. Lloyd and Keefe breakaway goal the Devils D were nowhere, and Sandrocks bullet they gave him a clear shot on goal. Looked like head dropped.

Myers made some good saves in the game as well, so harsh to blame him for the loss. Caps goalie last night stood on his head but once Caps got tired and heads dropped the goals started to flow for us, bit like tonight.

Zack Kassian said:
By the way! The intro was terrible
Yep. Didn't like it many years ago when we first had it but now, after having "Burn it to the Ground" and "Hell Yeah" with amazing videos it is both slow and boring. Hope something else is in the pipeline.

Earnie

The travel is a killer and soon we have it again. Dundee away followed by Nottingham at home and probably get a similar result to tonight.

With a back up goal tender and the travel we were never going to win this one although we made a valiant attempt. It all went pear shaped when Conboy was given 5 + game.

We can match them and beat them if the playing field was level

Diafol

Nitra said:
Zack Kassian said:
By the way! The intro was terrible
Yep. Didn't like it many years ago when we first had it but now, after having "Burn it to the Ground" and "Hell Yeah" with amazing videos it is both slow and boring. Hope something else is in the pipeline.
A new intro is apparently being put together:

Cardiff Devils ‏@cardiffdevils 6 Sep
Good luck to @cardiffdevils filming @cardiff_airport this afternoon to complete finishing touches to the new "Devils Intro" #flyfromcardiff

Personally Conboy is there to do what he does best. Protect our players. That caused us big time last year. He will also get us goals as he proved tonight.

I thought defence in full was poor tonight and even though Joe did great stepping up, his puck handling behind the net is dodgy at times leading to poor passes which cost us at times. I couldn't tell if he was injured also as he seemed to struggle to to push to his right.

Keefe is a teams worst enemy when he's playing against you. You hate him but if he was your player you would idolise him.

Spoke to Lacosta in the car park before the game and he said he's seeing the doctor tomorrow but really didn't seem to optimistic about it.

Yes tonight was disappointing but a 2 point weekend isn't a bad way to start the season. It will come and when it does it will be great. There's gonna be losses at home, it happens, but to boo your own team is a disgrace!

tigertemme

Myers was out of position for majority of goals... buuuuuuut 35 shots on him shows we were outplayed. Lets give lacosta a 1 goal in 10 shots tally still puts the tally at 3/4 which would probably pick the team up to score more. But yea no excuse for being outshot at home...

Conboy played well with a funny but silly penalty to take

Intro is shite

Its MAX. BOOM. BOOM. BIRBRAER not max boom boom. Birbraer

Lord looks epic and is one to watch

Hope tyson keeps this up for a season

Gospel

Our passing was very poor tonight, could hardly hit a barn door let alone another Devil.

Team did great to get back on level terms at 2-2 but it was the wrong time for Conboy to do what he did. Devils were on the up, puck rolling their way, Giants getting frustrated and then Conboy gets his penalty. That allowed the Giants to get themselves sorted and they took control and the game was gone.

Joe did what he could, he will want at least 2 of the goals back but he wasn't really helped by our D tonight who looked very slow.

Considering what G wrote in the programme tonight that he wanted an even more physical game than in the pre-season games, I didn't see any of that.

We can and im sure we will improve but they cant blame bus legs every single time.