Devils v Blaze - 27/12 - 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

osh

Finny, as usual, a great match report which actually tells people who weren't there a lot about the game period by period. I only wish that your reports could be transferred to the main website who as usual sadly neglect to provide anything like a half decent match report ( just look at the last couple, they are pathetic) also, its 10.41 on the day after the match and still no match report from the main website. Lets hope we play as well as we know we can in Belfast tonight, looking forward to this game.

A

Anonymous

but we played several games without Sawyer
Who?

its 10.41 on the day after the match and still no match report from the main website. Lets hope we play as well as we know we can in Belfast tonight, looking forward to this game.
And what's happened to the game highlights? This has been neglected for me since the launch of the new site if not before.

Coventry fans are not happy on the fire and ice forum, they are trying to work out why some Devils fans in block 15 were holding up copies of the Argos clearance catalogue? i didn't see any :lol:

Finny said:
You also sound quite shocked and surprised - despite your suggestions all season that the Devils are the far better side. Unless of course you were doing that just so you could wind us up more after a win? ;)
Shocked and surprised? I'd say the exact opposite. The Blaze have been pretty woeful all season with the cracks covered up by beating teams in the "bottom 5" and then coming up well short against the rest of the "top 5". I haven't got the stats but I think this season we have beaten a injured battered Giants and Sheffield once at home in the league.

My main surprise was that you were so surprised in your match report that you won so easily. The Devils are flying high at full strength and the Blaze are men down and playing poorly ... it had a rout written all over it. And it sounds like thats what we got. As I say, you have to take the rough with the smooth. I've been in Cardiff when we've beaten you with ease and your fans don't take lightly to some of our chants. Say what you like about our fans, they are still turning up in numbers to support our team and are probably the best in the league. We know you won a few trophies in the last century and it looks like you will win some more this season. We've had huge success in the last 10 years. Enjoy it. Happy Hockey Days!

drainage

J.B said:
Finny said:
You also sound quite shocked and surprised - despite your suggestions all season that the Devils are the far better side. Unless of course you were doing that just so you could wind us up more after a win? ;)
Shocked and surprised? I'd say the exact opposite. The Blaze have been pretty woeful all season with the cracks covered up by beating teams in the "bottom 5" and then coming up well short against the rest of the "top 5". I haven't got the stats but I think this season we have beaten a injured battered Giants and Sheffield once at home in the league.

My main surprise was that you were so surprised in your match report that you won so easily. The Devils are flying high at full strength and the Blaze are men down and playing poorly ... it had a rout written all over it. And it sounds like thats what we got. As I say, you have to take the rough with the smooth. I've been in Cardiff when we've beaten you with ease and your fans don't take lightly to some of our chants. Say what you like about our fans, they are still turning up in numbers to support our team and are probably the best in the league. We know you won a few trophies in the last century and it looks like you will win some more this season. We've had huge success in the last 10 years. Enjoy it. Happy Hockey Days!
Sorry mate - turn up yeap you did, support - nope not vocally anyway, best in the league - not sure you will get much agreement on this forum for that !! Yes you have had success in last 10 years , we have in last 24 years. We know what its like to be up there then struggle and yes we keep turning up too ! Its called a love of the game and team ....long may it continue. :D

You wont be able to keep citing - short bench (not that short from my view tho) injuries, bans etc for much longer ...... just like we couldnt in seasons past. as I said on previous post you dont win 15 on bounce accidently ..... we will lose and it will be painful but we will keep going !

the placid casual said:
Coventry fans are not happy on the fire and ice forum, they are trying to work out why some Devils fans in block 15 were holding up copies of the Argos clearance catalogue? i didn't see any :lol:
Yep and they are coming up with the usual clap trap about rude fans and officials. Of course they never chant or make comments when we go there, we can all be as bad as each other.

As for the officals I would be surprised if they were rude and I do have to ask myself why security had to go up there to check peoples tickets. I can only assume it was because the stewards were being given a hard time when they were checking them.

Ger-Devils

the placid casual said:
Haha the song that was started in Coventry in October :lol:

Obviously known as Chavs it fitted well.

I don't know JB you still sound a little bitter, especially with the comment about us winning titles in the last century and your success in the last ten years.

Glad you concede we are playing well, however your injury problems are what we have had to endure for a couple of years, unfortuantely no one is really interested in that - not in our experience anyway.

A

Anonymous

It always makes me giggle when rival fans refer to past glories. As a Liverpool fan I'm very much used to it. May I pose the question:

What's a club without history?

J.B, as a Blaze fan you are very much the minority here, I'd quit while your behind kid.

osh said:
Finny, as usual, a great match report which actually tells people who weren't there a lot about the game period by period. I only wish that your reports could be transferred to the main website who as usual sadly neglect to provide anything like a half decent match report ( just look at the last couple, they are pathetic) also, its 10.41 on the day after the match and still no match report from the main website. Lets hope we play as well as we know we can in Belfast tonight, looking forward to this game.
I quite agree. Thanks Finny for the match report. It is graphic, well written, detailed and frequently humerous. I thoroughly look forward to your report after each game if I can't get up to Cardiff. Keep Reporting.

So saying to Jaeger that he would pull him if we scored again means he had already conceded defeat.

Not sure how that made Jaeger feel even if he did say it because he wanted to rest him. Surely you want to play the game out to prove something to yourself.

TheStub

You can't expect him to come out full of fury and anger at his team. I bet the changing room was blue though.

But he doesn't come out and say we lost because we had no players on the bench, just that they were beaten by a confident Devils team. The puck isn't bouncing for them at the moment - but I would put money on Thommo having less truck with the injury and suspension excuse than us. They were icing a full compliment of D men, and are fairly stacked up front. So, yes they are weaker on D, team defence is key, and that starts with the forward fore and back checking well.

I thought they did a good job of keeping the Devils to the outside on Sunday. The game plan was obvious - 4 guys behind the puck to support the inexperienced D, try and find the floating forward with the stretch pass. Not very entertaining, but beat us twice on Sunday. Didn't work last night, Blaze looked tired and we were ready for the Blackhawks signature move, and just broke up the centre of the ice.

If they are rested, and play with a little more passion, they can probably get a result in Sheffield. It would be nice to think that anyway.

zoesdevil

Just saw the shots on goal for both sides and it says shots on lyle/myers 30 and shots on jaeger/murdy 33? I thought we had alot more on Blaze's net than what it says plus to be honest I didn't think blaze had that many shots!!??

ASHIPP

Valuable 2 points for the Devils - a slick performance against a Blaze team clearly tired and de-moralised at the end of the game.
Blaze were short-benched with injury and had a weakened defence.....but they still have some of the most dangerous forwards in the League who could and should have been pressurising. None of that could make an impact on a solid wall of Devils defencemen, so confident that they were actaully playing much deeper than usual, and actually looked far more dangerous on the Blaze pp than Coventry did! Fair play to Jaeger - he was outstanding.
The comparative levels of physical and mental fitness between both teams were obvious last night. Devils players were faster to the puck, faster to recycle, more effective in the body checks and composed. All those painful full-on gym sessions are paying off!
Great to see Stuart get the MOM, although there were some other really worthy performances - Stevie, JP, Kenton, Tylor, Scott and the 'one man' show that is Craig Weller! (awesome to watch). :D

IMHO, would really have liked to see either Mark (Smith) or Ritchie get the MOM. Here are 2 unsung heroes who work tirelessly and solidly to create the backbone of defence. They were responsible for most of the blocking (of players) and puck interception/clearing at the back last night. They rarely get the credit they deserve and are amongst the top stay-at-home blueliners in the league right now. Outstanding performance, guys. :cool:

osh

ASHIPP. A very good summary and you are quite right, nice to see you mention the so called 'unsung heroes' and I agree with you that its easy to sometimes forget the backbone of our defence and who obviously have contributed as much as anyone else during this fantastic purple patch (long may it continue) You always know how commited players are when they throw themselves in front of an opposing player as they are about to shoot, and our guys do that without hesitation. Take my hat off last night to our captain who stepped up to the plate and made a mess of Carlson. Its a great position to be in watching our players play with discipline and not having to rely too much on the physical stuff, although I feel tonight will be a very very physical sort of game.

On the note previously made by someone regarding the trophies...

Yes, I believe Cov fans are asking "where are your ELITE LEAGUE trophies". Unfortunately for them, it seems that because their team has no history, and were only "formed" in 2000, they can only show off the trophies from the EIHL. I think its like having brain blanks or something? Or perhaps they just dont believe that anything existed before the beginning of the Earth and the formation of the Coventry Blaze, which of course occurred at exactly the same moment in the year 2000 A.D.?

Apparently, if you won any trophies before they were around, it doesnt count. If they weren't contenders in the competitions, then it obviously wasnt fair play, and the Devils obviously didnt really deserve to win what they did. I mean, IF the chavs had been around then, they would have wiped the floor with the Devils wouldnt they?!

(Hang on a sec... just rebooting from my sarcasm overload there)

Bloody idiots. The Cardiff Devils are one of the most successful British ice hockey teams. Just because they dont have any recent trophies, doesnt mean they're not worthy. Anyway. I believe that the Devils have managed to get themselves into far more finals than the Blaze ever have done. Surely getting there in the first place means something!?

Mind you, we can all argue until we're blue (ha!) in the face, its not going to get anyone anywhere. It certainly didnt seem to get the fans very far last night. In fact, all that happened was they there were arguing over seats and verbally abusing their own fans for standing up and getting in their view because someone else was sitting in their seat (wtf).

Drainage - you were lucky you were on the other side of the rink haha! I did spot some glow stick things being handed out with much enthusiasm.

The Argos sale sheets were a fab idea! Perhaps we could increase it to a similar repetition of the "newspapers up for Shuff" at the Play Offs 2009 next time?!

I was quite shocked at the amount of really, really, nasty personal abuse they were sending over to block 2. Even Shuff and Nott fans, whilst they are some of the easiest to wind up, often take things in good jest. We're going to start needing to hire cages for the chavs before long. Or perhaps they could just bring their own from home?!

ASHIPP

Clare said:
I was quite shocked at the amount of really, really, nasty personal abuse they were sending over to block 2. Even Shuff and Nott fans, whilst they are some of the easiest to wind up, often take things in good jest. We're going to start needing to hire cages for the chavs before long. Or perhaps they could just bring their own from home?!
No, just threaten that they will have their bling confiscated by door security at the next game at BBT, that will shut them up. :oops: Oh, wait...they were pretty quiet anyway when goal no.5 went in! :lol: