Devils v Blaze - 27/12 - 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

TheStub said:
After an even first the Devils put the Blaze to the sword in the second and sealed it in the third. We looked comfortable tonight, much to the annoyance of the Blaze fans.
You clearly were not at the same game as me. The first period was anything but even, and if it wasn't for the Coventry keeper we could have been six up by the end of the first.

Finny, as usual, a bloody good summary.

It did seem easy, I said to my sister part way through the game that the Devils did seem to be holding something back.

That may seem disrespectful to Coventry, but lets be honest, they were hardly in the game.

Lets hope for a good game tomorrow, no matter what happens 15 games in a row is pretty good going

drainage

Finny - cracking summary !!! The most animated the Blaze fans got was musical chairs in the first break...... the biggest cheer they gave was when we slipped on ice well they wasnt much else going on for them ......then the genius thought of starting the chant show us your trophies ... to be killed dead by the " hanging from the ceiling" come back :D :D

Got to agree it was a surprisingly dull game from them - question is are we that good or were they that poor ?

and now I am scared .......the panthers have a who can stop the Devils thread !! Its all about us!!

Normally I hate it when the crowd chants 'shall we sing a song for you' as it more often than not means they then start chanting in reply. The Blaze fans ..... nope nothing. Followed by an impressive 'Come on YOU blaze' by block 2 though! :lol:

The only time they started chanting late in the third was after having been mocked enough, I think it was the 'can we play you every week' that got them angry they started 'show us your trophies'. :shock: I love how everyone just pointed to the many championship banners we've got hanging from the rafters in reply! :D They need a rethink with that chant.

As for the game, we never looked like losing. I think that's the first time I ever been happy to have a penalty called on us too as we looked just as comfortable on the penalty kill. One of the Blaze power plays was spent apart from the first face off entirely in their defensive zone with us attacking! Made me laugh as to why they were all surrounding the ref at one point to get him to call a delay of game penalty as I don't know why they wanted a power play! They were shocking on it!

The thing is that they had five of their top players missing and I know what goes around comes around and that, which we have gone through many a time but I can't see the next meeting being as easy if they get all the players back, but glad for the run keeping on going :D

Wasn't at the game but can't help feeling that you don't want to get too ahead of yourselves. You have beaten a Blaze team missing our 2 best defencemen plus 2 other key players in a game where we have very little to play for as our title challenge is over. OK you thrashed us but it is just one game and it isn't like we haven't thrashed you on previous seasons. Just the way things go. I'm hoping you can go on to win the title but don't get ahead of yourselves as our team is rubbish at he moment so it is hardly a great achievement. As for our fans, isn't that just banter? Fans sing the same at Liverpool regarding their trophy drought. You have got the upper hand his year and enjoy it. We've had our moments in CArdiff and enjoyed them. Just don't get over cocky as it can come back to bite you.

J.B said:
Wasn't at the game but can't help feeling that you don't want to get too ahead of yourselves. You have beaten a Blaze team missing our 2 best defencemen plus 2 other key players in a game where we have very little to play for as our title challenge is over. OK you thrashed us but it is just one game and it isn't like we haven't thrashed you on previous seasons. Just the way things go. I'm hoping you can go on to win the title but don't get ahead of yourselves as our team is rubbish at he moment so it is hardly a great achievement. As for our fans, isn't that just banter? Fans sing the same at Liverpool regarding their trophy drought. You have got the upper hand his year and enjoy it. We've had our moments in CArdiff and enjoyed them. Just don't get over cocky as it can come back to bite you.
Bloody hell JB thats the most negative post you have ever posted lol

We certainly aren't getting ahead of ourselves, however we have won 15 games in a row so I think we do have a right to some self satisfaction at the moment.

You can only play the team that is in front of you and to make the comment your teamn were rubbish (in so many words) can be seen as quite churlish.

E.D.S.

J.B said:
Not sure we're getting ahead of ourselves and definitley not being cocky as I think most people are concerned about us no longer being under the radar. It's always good to beat Coventry mainly because of the fans. They don't tend to respond too well/graciously to any kind of defeat to Cardiff. I agree you have turned us over many a time and remember well C&C tearing us apart on numerous occasions. As for the injury card.....appreciate you've had a tough year this year but the Devils have been that way for the last 3/4 years (as a cold shiver runs over my spine recalling losing our starting nettie and playing our reserve for about 13 games, think it was Osaer) we can only beat what is put in front of us and that is what we've done tonight and for the last 14 games.
I just can't see us being cocky or the players for that matter getting ahead of themselves. Nobody expects us to go unbeaten for the rest of the season so surely the guys can go out there and playing without the pressure. We will lose at some point, we all know it - so do you think this makes the team more relaxed or does it work the other way? Just curious as to what others think.
Good performance lads. Stay injury free and we could do something this year.

Ger-Devils

Blaze D were ok for what was left of it, their forwards couldn't give a damn apart from Carlson! Totally different team to last year and Fulgham isn't the same player as he was!

We coasted most of that game, lots of pressure even on our PK we looked the most dangerous out there! Some great performances but that was a team who were full of confidence, enjoying their hockey and know anything is possible.

Good report Finny.

Drainage! They were playing musical chairs from before the first puck was dropped all the way through to the start of second period.

They were driving me nuts. There were people sitting in seats that weren't there's, because someone was in theirs and because those seats were free at the time they arrived so decided to sit there (wtf?) After directing three groups of people to their seats, advising them to 'tell them to move' I was amazed when I discovered a chain of three sets of people, each sitting in someone elses seat because someone was in theres.

So I lost it and screamed at the whole block that it wasn't our problem they can't count and that they should stop being idiots and sort themselves out. They all looked a bit shocked at the outburst but seriously, its a freaking sell out. If someone is in your seat, tell them to shift it.

The funniest part is when they argue and complain like toddlers at being told to go sit down in their seat. The seat they bought. In block 5. If you didn't want to sit there, you should have bought a standing ticket. Muppets.

I've seen better organisational skills demonstrated by the Elite League and we all know that's saying something!

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night!

Brought along a mate of mine from work and 5 members of his family who were all watching their first experience of hockey and they all absolutely loved it! Don't know about you guys but watching newbies really getting into this great sport is top drawer!

I don't think we're getting ahead of ourselves either, at some stage we're going to lose but I just hope it isn't tonight. Winning in Belfast would be a real sign of intent that we're serious title contenders!!

C'mon Devils!!

:D :D

Well done Devils! 15 in a row! Crazy that we are still 2nd in the league albeit with games in hand over the team in first. If you told someone your team had won their last 15 in a row msot people would assume you must be walking the league!!?

Coventry fans don't do themselves any favours and I don't want to stick up for them, but I think they are trying to refer to the recent trophy wins (particularly leauge) with their 4 league titles to our none in the Elite League. We might be the 2nd most succesful team in Britian, but pointing towards a last regular season league championship of 96/97 wouldn't really impress me much - Ben Davies would have been just starting school the last time we won the league. I'm also a Liverpool fan, so I mostly keep quiet about league titles.

Anyway - hopefully we'll be pointing to a very new banner or two when we play them next season (as no doubt they'll still stupdily chant it :lol: )

zoesdevil

Does anyone know wot it means when some of our fans take of there shoes and wave them in the air at certain points during game, please could you clarify this for me as it's bugging the heck outta me!! :?

drainage

Clare said:
Good report Finny.

Drainage! They were playing musical chairs from before the first puck was dropped all the way through to the start of second period.

They were driving me nuts. There were people sitting in seats that weren't there's, because someone was in theirs and because those seats were free at the time they arrived so decided to sit there (wtf?) After directing three groups of people to their seats, advising them to 'tell them to move' I was amazed when I discovered a chain of three sets of people, each sitting in someone elses seat because someone was in theres.

So I lost it and screamed at the whole block that it wasn't our problem they can't count and that they should stop being idiots and sort themselves out. They all looked a bit shocked at the outburst but seriously, its a freaking sell out. If someone is in your seat, tell them to shift it.

The funniest part is when they argue and complain like toddlers at being told to go sit down in their seat. The seat they bought. In block 5. If you didn't want to sit there, you should have bought a standing ticket. Muppets.

I've seen better organisational skills demonstrated by the Elite League and we all know that's saying something!
Clare - only noticed it in the break ! Sitting other side of rink and noticed a swarm of dayglo tops in the section ! was funny tho

TheStub

Re: Re: Devils v Blaze - 27/12 - 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

zoesdevil said:
Does anyone know wot it means when some of our fans take of there shoes and wave them in the air at certain points during game, please could you clarify this for me as it's bugging the heck outta me!! :?
Shoe off if you love Brad Voth.

Was funny to see Blaze fans joining. I wonder if they realised what they were joining in with; perhaps they thought they were showing us up.

drainage

Think its safe to say we will never get cocky about our team - we have had too many lean years, bad injuries, bans etc.

at the moment we are riding the crest of a wave and should rightly enjoy it ..... it will end and how the league will enjoy it !! I can see the posts now !

we can only play the team that ices and yes there have been some with key players out but equally there have been teams at full strength ....we still have 15 on the bounce and that doesnt happen by accident.

Just for once things are going well for us and I intend to enjoy it but brace myself for the game that stops the winning streak ..... it will happen but hopefully we will still end the season ahead of some of the top 4 :D

Oh and the shoe thing - its shoe off if you love Brad Voth !

TheStub

Simmsey said:
Last night 5 became 4. The Blaze have needed changes for a month & haven't / couldn't made them. Sorry but no longer a contender
Not often I agree with Simmsey, but going by the last two games (and their previous run of games) I think they have fallen too far off the pace. Yes, it would be great for it to be us who take the title, but I don't think the Blaze will get back in the current top 4 for contention.

Wouldn't it be nice for the Clan to catch them :lol:

Finny

J.B said:
I don't think I've ever seen you sound so bitter JB. You also sound quite shocked and surprised - despite your suggestions all season that the Devils are the far better side. Unless of course you were doing that just so you could wind us up more after a win? ;)
And I must be mistaken - because I could have sworn that when we had injuries in past seasons you were one of the first people to jump up and tell us that we couldn't use injuries or suspensions as an excuse. Yet here you are doing the same?
Blaze have been very fortunate with their injuries in the past. This season they don't seem to be coping with it too well.
And let's not forget that have brought in replacements. They still had 9 imports last night and would have had 10 had Cruickshank not been suspended. Robinson is a better player than Smith for me whilst Kohvakka wasn't that bad last night and no worse than SodaStream. Yes they missed Lee and Weaver, but we played several games without Sawyer and Richardson but still got results.