Devils @ Steelers - Saturday 23rd- 7pm - Chat & Updates

Diafol

First period, we did just enough.
Second period we switched off and didn't stand a chance after that.
Just got in so I need a beer...

jenks33

Rich Best said:
kettdevil1 said:
Some of you must have been at a different game to me!!!! Whilst disappointed with the result I am immensely proud of the team....... It really was an incredibly tense game and although Sheffield did most of the attacking, I thought we were desperately unlucky not to get something out of it.

I actually disagree with Ocko about the tactics, I thought Lordo tried something different tonight to the Ice Sheffield game with one man sent in to hustle and the D collapsing rather more when Sheffield attacked. To be fair, it came within one unlucky bounce and a couple of glaring misses of working.

The D worked their socks off, throwing themselves in front of pucks and both Josh and Ritchie were immense. Up front, I thought Joey Haddad battled had and both Kurka and Martin made the most of the scraps they were fed.

Our record there isn't as bad as their record in our barn but it isn't good. Today, we came within a whisker of changing that..... and although I am gutted on all sorts of levels, the negativity towards the team was a bit surprising, I thought the mood amongst the hoards travelling seemed disappointed but at the result rather than the team....
Well said. Lets keep our chins up, I don't know of any occasion in the whole of history where negativity helped!
I think some fans take negativity the wrong way. In no way am I critical of the effort tonight. We battled for 60 minutes and nearly got something out of it. My issue is that we've got too much talent to go to Sheffield every time and sit back for 60 minutes. Under the previous regime when we weren't as talented that was fine but I think we should have a bit more confidence with this group of players. Like many fans I watched the devils in their 'glory days' when we took the game to teams, no matter who it was and where it was. Now I'm not saying that we should always go to Sheffield all guns blazing. But after last week's great win against the Steelers I think tonight would have been a great night to make a statement. The talk all week has been that it's braehead to lose, we could have gone out there tonight and shocked a few people. And when Pinc went off we definitely should have grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck.
My point is I'm not being negative because i think we're not good enough. If anything it's that I have so much faith in the team that it frustrates the hell out of me that we allow the steelers to attack us for 60 minutes!

osh

Never underestimate a Steelers side playing at home against us ! They deserved the win first and foremost. Instead of looking at our performance as a team, I'm just going to say they were better than us on the night. Expected a lot more and feel quite let down to be honest ! Think the players will realise they have missed a golden opportunity tonight.

terry hunt

I think some need to get a reality check.
When did we last win the league title? This organisation has brought a competitive team back to Cardiff when many had given up hope of any success.
They need our support them a winning team takes time to shape and other teams are not going to sit back and watch.
I am seeing the best hockey since Superleague and all teams have improved.
I hate losing to the Steelers any time but they hated losing to us last week.
I will take this league now when almost every game is tight till the end over 6/7 goal wins. Much better than leave a boring game early to avoid the traffic

ASHIPP

Our record historically at the HoS has been poor. Think most fans were anticipating a loss, or at best OT.

It is worrying that we cant seem to test a backup netminder but all credit to Day and the Steelers' defence that tightened up. The game was played at a v fast pace on a big ice surface. Devils were struggling for periods of time...was that fatigue?.

Unfortunately the reality is that these are the games the Devils must win in order to stay top. All 4 of our immediate rivals gained 2 points on us last night. Soon it could mean that we are relying on rivals slipping up to help our own position.

In saying that, if our team manage to retain the Challenge Cup and qualify for European competition this season, they will have done brilliantly.

pjj365

It is not so much the negativity and critism that gets me everyone is entitled to their feelings and views. It would not be a forum otherwise

But as in every walk of life being negative and critical is the easy bit. Coupling this with positive solutions is more difficult and it is the lack of this side of the debate which does get me

DevilDom

jenks33 said:
Rich Best said:
kettdevil1 said:
Some of you must have been at a different game to me!!!! Whilst disappointed with the result I am immensely proud of the team....... It really was an incredibly tense game and although Sheffield did most of the attacking, I thought we were desperately unlucky not to get something out of it.

I actually disagree with Ocko about the tactics, I thought Lordo tried something different tonight to the Ice Sheffield game with one man sent in to hustle and the D collapsing rather more when Sheffield attacked. To be fair, it came within one unlucky bounce and a couple of glaring misses of working.

The D worked their socks off, throwing themselves in front of pucks and both Josh and Ritchie were immense. Up front, I thought Joey Haddad battled had and both Kurka and Martin made the most of the scraps they were fed.

Our record there isn't as bad as their record in our barn but it isn't good. Today, we came within a whisker of changing that..... and although I am gutted on all sorts of levels, the negativity towards the team was a bit surprising, I thought the mood amongst the hoards travelling seemed disappointed but at the result rather than the team....
Well said. Lets keep our chins up, I don't know of any occasion in the whole of history where negativity helped!
I think some fans take negativity the wrong way. In no way am I critical of the effort tonight. We battled for 60 minutes and nearly got something out of it. My issue is that we've got too much talent to go to Sheffield every time and sit back for 60 minutes. Under the previous regime when we weren't as talented that was fine but I think we should have a bit more confidence with this group of players. Like many fans I watched the devils in their 'glory days' when we took the game to teams, no matter who it was and where it was. Now I'm not saying that we should always go to Sheffield all guns blazing. But after last week's great win against the Steelers I think tonight would have been a great night to make a statement. The talk all week has been that it's braehead to lose, we could have gone out there tonight and shocked a few people. And when Pinc went off we definitely should have grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck.
My point is I'm not being negative because i think we're not good enough. If anything it's that I have so much faith in the team that it frustrates the hell out of me that we allow the steelers to attack us for 60 minutes!
Very good point and how I feel after that result. We have a team stacked full of offensive talent yet we turn up 6 days after thumping them in our own rink and try and play to a defensive game plan which I don't believe suits us.

Expectations are rightly higher this season especially as we know how well this team can play. The last 2 times we have played the steelers in their rink I have seen many people with the same comments - a huge opportunity missed. They had their back up in for half the game and a couple of key players out yet again we couldn't capitalise on it. We also had the opportunity to put Sheffield virtually out of the running for the league and keep the pressure on Braehead. Now IMO the league is probably gone barring a collapse by the lilac ones. Hugely disappointed and frustrated.

august04

terry hunt said:
When did we last win the league title? This organisation has brought a competitive team back to Cardiff when many had given up hope of any success.
They need our support them a winning team takes time to shape and other teams are not going to sit back and watch.
I will take this league now when almost every game is tight till the end over 6/7 goal wins. Much better than leave a boring game early to avoid the traffic
Why do we need a reality check? Forget the old days, they're gone. We have great new owners who have invested heavily in this team, allowed us to carry spare imports with a view to winning championships. That's their stated aim too. This team is getting our support, just look at attendances at the BBT of late, so that doesn't wash either. When they play well, they get lauded. Likewise, when they don't, people shouldn't have any qualms about criticising if deserved. Last night their performance/tactics deserved criticism. To sit back and try to soak up pressure for 60 minutes, hardly get a shot on goal, with our offensive talent, was criminal. A huge chance wasted. And anyone who says this league isn't Braehead's to lose, just take a look at the run in. They'll sail home while Erhardt teams take points off each other. In a way, that might not be a bad thing for the league as I think something will be done about the conferences imbalance then.

Wannabe2

august04 said:
terry hunt said:
Why do we need a reality check? Forget the old days, they're gone. We have great new owners who have invested heavily in this team, allowed us to carry spare imports with a view to winning championships. That's their stated aim too. This team is getting our support, just look at attendances at the BBT of late, so that doesn't wash either. When they play well, they get lauded. Likewise, when they don't, people shouldn't have any qualms about criticising if deserved. Last night their performance/tactics deserved criticism. To sit back and try to soak up pressure for 60 minutes,

hardly get a shot on goal, with our offensive talent, was criminal. A huge chance wasted. And anyone who says this league isn't Braehead's to lose, just take a look at the run in. They'll sail home while Erhardt teams take points off each other. In a way, that might not be a bad thing for the league as I think something will be done about the conferences imbalance then.
Spot on with this thread, and agree with it all, I didn't want to sound negative last night, but I was so frustrated to watch such a talented team, not playing the way they can. It was a huge game against huge rivals, and with no hits, 3 shots in the first 20 mins, and against a team that were there for the taking I thought we would bust a gut to put them to the sword. Anyway it's gone now, and we move on starting tonight.

august04 said:
Why do we need a reality check? Forget the old days, they're gone. We have great new owners who have invested heavily in this team, allowed us to carry spare imports with a view to winning championships. That's their stated aim too. This team is getting our support, just look at attendances at the BBT of late, so that doesn't wash either. When they play well, they get lauded. Likewise, when they don't, people shouldn't have any qualms about criticising if deserved. Last night their performance/tactics deserved criticism. To sit back and try to soak up pressure for 60 minutes, hardly get a shot on goal, with our offensive talent, was criminal. A huge chance wasted. And anyone who says this league isn't Braehead's to lose, just take a look at the run in. They'll sail home while Erhardt teams take points off each other. In a way, that might not be a bad thing for the league as I think something will be done about the conferences imbalance then.
Spot on.

We were beyond poor tonight. Each visit to Sheffield in the last year we've gone to Sheffield looking like we didn't want to lose the game, rather than wanting to go out there and win it.

We're blessed with some of the most talented scorers in the league in Doucet, Kurka, Martin, Russell to name a few and we go in to Sheffield and try hold up a one goal lead when they have a depleted line-up and a back up in net? It's frustrating to watch, Brad Day must love playing against us.

I can handle a bad result, that's sport. What I can't handle is going in with the same game plan each and every time and expecting a different outcome. That's how it looks anyway.

We have one more trip to Sheffield this year and it could prove massive in the title race. I would love to think we'll go out there and try something different.

One last note, we should have lost by 4-5 tonight but Bowns was absolutely tremendous and gave us a slight chance to win that game.

The last couple of posts in my opinion were a good take on the game from some fans who have watched hockey for many years.
No one I can see is being negative towards the club or calling any individual player out they are just calling the game on what they saw.
Personally from watching the game in my opinion we just got it wrong, it just seemed a carbon copy of the two previous games at their barn and for me that was the disappointing fact along with other fans.
I just think we actually gave them too much respect, we have better goal tending & man for man a better team!
We failed to use our most potent weapon in our arsenal our "Offence" and the stats show this.
For me we should have gone at them from the puck drop & a more open game would of resulted in a high scoring game but one I'm certain we would of come out on top in.

As the saying goes " Fortune favours the brave!"
I have no doubt it will be normal service resumed tonight :Banana

Ocko

We managed only 15 shots on goal in the entire game. If anyone thinks that kind of performance is acceptable then youre quite frankly crazy. People paid a lot of money to watch that game be it on webcast or in Sheffield, and for whatever reason the team didn't turn up. The team are very fortunate that Bowns give them a chance to win every night, not many teams can say that about their NM. If we had Pinc or Day that would've been a cricket score.