Devils @ Giants - November 2nd & 3rd - Chat / Updates

Martynwo

Tell you what...why don't we all comment on the "eye gouge" hopefully Darnell will see the comments and that will back up his and Hanson's "Mason told us he was eye gouged" so it must have been and there you all are tell us it was. :DWD

Martynwo said:
Tell you what...why don't we all comment on the "eye gouge" hopefully Darnell will see the comments and that will back up his and Hanson's "Mason told us he was eye gouged" so it must have been and there you all are tell us it was. :DWD

Commonsense on the Forum , I never thought I would see the day

First time posting an image so unsure if it'll work, but it's as straightforward a call as you'll ever see. Darnell was on the spot and the attempts at defending Conboy here are pitiful.

Skippy

Thread starter #84
Re: Devils @ Giants - November 2nd & 3rd - Chat / Updates

Martynwo said:
It honestly won't matter what's said on here the amount of noise the Giants and Blaze fans are making about it on social media will do the job for them.

Expect 12.

Martynwo

You'd be no good at a defence lawyer, If I was being "eye gouged" then my left hand would not be holding my stick, it would be wrapped around someone's head. Having being eye gouged many years ago I can tell you I lost it and nearly arrested after the rugby game.

Martynwo said:
You'd be no good at a defence lawyer, If I was being "eye gouged" then my left hand would not be holding my stick, it would be wrapped around someone's head. Having being eye gouged many years ago I can tell you I lost it and nearly arrested after the rugby game.
If that was Keefe with his fingers in Conboy's eyes you'd be up in arms. If you can't see an attempt at eye gouging in that photo then there's no point in arguing. Even Finny, possibly the staunchest of Devils fans when it comes to defence, can see what that is. I can't understand the desire to defend him - this guy has shafted your team in a huge way. He's cheated his teammates, the management and the fans through a series of selfish incidents which all lead to you playing short. Now Lacosta is back your season is getting back on track (hell, you just beat Belfast away!) and now you'll be playing short for several games. Using Campbell as a precedent it'll be 12.

Martynwo

Ah..so now we know you're not a devils supporter, with some bias bang goes your prosecution mu laud.
"Fingers" and now "eyes" now eh, getting blown up even more now ? Gloved hand / gloved finger just a face wash grow up and whine on your own forum.
To be honest I'm expecting a ban based on all the hype and Belfast "influence".

Chris Carpenter said:

First time posting an image so unsure if it'll work, but it's as straightforward a call as you'll ever see. Darnell was on the spot and the attempts at defending Conboy here are pitiful.
Picture is open to speculation. On the one hand it looks like Conboy is helping Mason blow his nose, another view is the alleged eye gouging

Here's another - who's to say Mason isn't biting Conboy's finger? (Check the photo) You can't see the end of his glove, and has been said previously, if someone is allegedly gouging your eye, do you REALLY keep you arm down by your side??

Mason cries to Darnell - who clearly (from a number of posts from people at the game) didn't see the incident, nor did the linos. That's not to say the event didn't happen as the photo clearly shows something did happen.

The absence of any sportsmanship qualities whatsoever in some top end ice hockey players is pitiful. Since when did ice hockey become so soft?

I do not believe it is possible to determine the intensity of any force behind the action from a still photo - perhaps there is video evidence of the incident? But to call for 12 games like some people are is pathetic. He would under the Keefe precedent have to be regarded as a first time offender (Excessive Roughness) if indeed the call warrants further suspension - should have only been 2 minutes (at most) and get on the the mans game we all love.

Tom - instead of fouling up ice hockey matches with your cras interpretation and inconsistent application if the rules, why don't you just sod off and take up crochet?

I dont understand how Conboy can be defended here. it was a stupid thing to do full stop. Think its time he was shown the door, one step too far.

D

Deleted member 1337

CONBOY MATCH PENALTY

November 3, 2013

Cardiff Devils forward Andrew Conboy received a match penalty for excessive roughness in his side's game at Belfast Giants on Saturday 2nd November 2013.

The penalty occurred in the second period (21:36) and he will now miss Cardiff's match in Belfast this afternoon (Sunday 3rd November 2013).

As is mandatory, this penalty will be reviewed by the head of discipline and the findings will be announced shortly.
From EIHL Website.

Martynwo said:
Ah..so now we know you're not a devils supporter, with some bias bang goes your prosecution mu laud.
"Fingers" and now "eyes" now eh, getting blown up even more now ? Gloved hand / gloved finger just a face wash grow up and whine on your own forum.
Wow. If that's a face wash then perhaps you had his headbutt down as a kiss? Maybe his check on the official as a celebratory chest bump? For a club that's got a hell of a lot of knowledgeable hockey fans this forum doesn't half get the anomalies in the fan base. We'll see over the coming days if your team share the same visual 'issues' as you. I'm betting Pope is already booking the one way ticket....

Chris Carpenter said:
Martynwo said:
Wow. If that's a face wash then perhaps you had his headbutt down as a kiss? Maybe his check on the official as a celebratory chest bump? For a club that's got a hell of a lot of knowledgeable hockey fans this forum doesn't half get the anomalies in the fan base. We'll see over the coming days if your team share the same visual 'issues' as you. I'm betting Pope is already booking the one way ticket....
And Keefe's blindside check from behind to Conboy's head (which amazingly conveniently for Belfast, and incredulous to most other ice hockey viewers got changed, so that Keefe could be deemed a first time offender!!) as a mere attempt to shift a piece of fluff that appeared on Conboy's jersey that could possibly fly into his eye. :) ;) ;)

Hey we all wear rose tinted specs, but I would be really interested to know how one is supposed to determine the intensity of the incident from a still photo? With all the facilities that are at the O, I'm a little amazed that there hasn't been any video, footage from a mobile shown. Perhaps the facilities at the Ikea flat pack down the Bay aren't that bad after all.

Jones72

Can't wait for tomorrow's headline news: "Hockey player in face-wash horror"

Sliput

Chris Carpenter said:

A picture is not always fact. I remember on the Fire and ice there was a picture of a pack which looked like it was 100% in the back of the net and Blaze fans went into melt down, moaning about the ref for disallowing it. When the video came out it was perfectly obvious that the puck was actually passing in front of the net. Photos can look deceiving.

Conboy may or may not have done it but for you to use that photo and say is as straightforward as you can is a little disingenuous.

Wannabe2

When Brad Voth first came to us he was truelly a fruitcake, opposing fans were calling for him to be tarred and feathered and put on the first immediate flight back home, refs had him on there hit list. Brad went onto be a Legend in Cardiff and a player every team in the league would have signed.Myself I like to think Conboy could well walk in Brads shoes, he can obviously play and contribute when on the ice, there are a few fruitcakes in this league Conboy aint alone in that department, I am biased no one needs to tell me that, but the head butting come on, yes its a defo no no, but visor to visor with less venom than swatting a fly, and then steamrolling into a official like a runaway train, Keefe, Harvey, Olson,Nickerson have all been guilty of over the top incidents, and no one wants to see a player badly hurt, but remove players like this and the game will be all the poorer for it. Thats just my view and obviously many will have there own opinions and rightly so.

Ocko

It's a face wash nothing more or less. Of course his fingers are going to be near to his eyes, it doesn't make it an eye gouge on though.

Giants are such a bunch of whiney bitches. Mason should be embarrassed that he complained to the ref about something that soft and Darnell even more so for making a call because a player told him to. He didn't see it, that is plain to see. And if he did he certainly didn't make much of an effort to break up this 'obvious gouge'. If any gouging is taking place then the ref would have stepped in straight away because damage to the eye could easily occur, so either way he has showed once again what an incompetent ref he is, again.

Wannabe2 said:
When Brad Voth first came to us he was truelly a fruitcake, opposing fans were calling for him to be tarred and feathered and put on the first immediate flight back home, refs had him on there hit list. Brad went onto be a Legend in Cardiff and a player every team in the league would have signed.Myself I like to think Conboy could well walk in Brads shoes, he can obviously play and contribute when on the ice, there are a few fruitcakes in this league Conboy aint alone in that department, I am biased no one needs to tell me that, but the head butting come on, yes its a defo no no, but visor to visor with less venom than swatting a fly, and then steamrolling into a official like a runaway train, Keefe, Harvey, Olson,Nickerson have all been guilty of over the top incidents, and no one wants to see a player badly hurt, but remove players like this and the game will be all the poorer for it. Thats just my view and obviously many will have there own opinions and rightly so.
Was he a fruitcake? I always had him down as just clumsy with his hits as he didn't adjust for his height and was late on some. In the end he got a reputation where if the hit was borderline it got called. I don't recall him doing anything like headbutting, gouging or checking an official though. There aren't many players I can remember in the EIHL era who have a rap sheet like Conboys for 'no-no' offences like that. To compare Voth to Conboy does a huge disservice to Voth IMO.