Devils fans get your thinking caps on

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Okay guys get thinking on this one its serious, and Mods can you make this a sticky please.
Old fans and new, we need to think of the following
A. The best hits we have ever seen a Devils player throw.
B. The best fights we have ever seen a Devils player fight.
C. The best goals we have ever seen a Devils player score.
D. The best saves we have ever seen a Devils nettie save.
Lets give this one some thought guys, it could end up very interesting.
If further info could be given with the particular incident, example who against, and when, all the better but not critical.

I'm a big fan of defencemen and Jarvis is better than most people think

If you watched him closely you would agree and he scores goals

Best hit would have to be Wally's hip check in the old rink v Blaze, cant remember the guy's name but he was their tough guy who found it hard to fly without wings. As for a goal it would be one that Cowmeadow scored v Cap's when Maxi scored after 8 secs and it turned into a rout! Cowey shot from the blue line with a one timer and it pinged in off the post....loved it. Fight would have to be Maxi v a Bison guy in the old rink when the Bison guy had been a pain for the first half hour until Maxi beat him real bad, it looked like he had been hit randomly in the face with a lump hammer, i think his name was Vanhelen. As for saves i dont care how it's stopped as long as it don't go in!

Gazza272

taffmcwilliam said:
Best hit would have to be Wally's hip check in the old rink v Blaze, cant remember the guy's name but he was their tough guy who found it hard to fly without wings. As for a goal it would be one that Cowmeadow scored v Cap's when Maxi scored after 8 secs and it turned into a rout! Cowey shot from the blue line with a one timer and it pinged in off the post....loved it. Fight would have to be Maxi v a Bison guy in the old rink when the Bison guy had been a pain for the first half hour until Maxi beat him real bad, it looked like he had been hit randomly in the face with a lump hammer, i think his name was Vanhelen. As for saves i dont care how it's stopped as long as it don't go in!

The main reason vahanen looked so bad was that maxwell had sticked him in the face before laying into him with punches. Pretty much set the trend for Maxwells stint in Cardiff for me, mug someone smaller than me to get the fans onside. Such a waste of Talent for me was Dennis Maxwell. At least thats how i remember it.

Need more time to think about the other questions wannabe posed.

Diafol

My three candidates for best goals in my time watching the Devils:

Matt Myers picking up the puck in his own defensive zone, skating the length of the ice diagonally from right to left, beating the whole Giants team in the process before slotting home high on the goalie's glove side (WNIR 2003/04, can be seen at 17:42 on that season's Goals Goals Goals DVD)

Jon Cullen doing much the same thing against the Panthers in the playoff semi-final, 2005, taking the puck on his own goal line and skating to the Panthers blue liine before a cheeky little deke past a forward, then blasting the puck high into the net before the 2 D-men can get close enough to make him the meat in a sandwich. Genius !

Rejjie Stringer's penalty against the Blaze, Challenge Cup Final 2nd Leg 2006.
Not the greatest goal you'll ever see, but you try and find a Devils fan who won't admit it's one of the best ever !

Best hit is definitely THAT Kirk De Waele hipcheck.

I'm not really a fight connossieur, I'll get back to you on that one !

DevilDom

Wannabe2 said:
Okay i give up forget this thread.
The start of this thread is so funny I was nearly crying whilst reading it (or maybe its cos i've had a drink?).

Best goal - Wes Jarvis (any game)
Best check - Wes again
Best fight - er Wes
Best Save - can you guess?

:lol: READ the thread you numpty!

Seriously though;
Best goal would be Richardson's this season against Sheffield when he skated the length of the ice, beating 4 players to score - what made it so good were the circumstances of the game and the players we had out that day (and it was against the Steelers).

Best hit without doubt - Mc on Tommy "the Duke" Plonker, best mid ice you will ever see, saw it live and many times on TV replays, best lesson every young player will learn is to keep your head up.

Best fights - Mike Ware for me was the best fighter, his fights with Vial were always good to watch. Also that fight he had with the Knights player (can't remember his name funny spelling) shook him like a rag doll.

Best Goal - For me it has to be Mc v Ayr (?) when rocky saganiuk was left trailing in his wake going 2 or 3 times around his own net then coast to coast goal

Best saves - hard to remember great saves individually, but I think Herly was our best all round NM

Good thread if people can keep in this type of answering format

steve

I'm glad that Cullen goal in the playoffs came up, that's got to be a candidate. I'm trying to remember a goal vez scored in about '06 where he triple deked and put it high glove side twisting his body more or less inside out to keep the puck on the stick curve despite the puck being on his backhand side (I think that makes sense). I think I've got it on DVD, I'll dig it out.

Best check - can I nominate McCallister on hinks?

Finny

A couple of other great checks to mention alongside the DeWaele one:

Stephen Cooper pretty much knocking out Humberside's Dan Dorian mid-ice.
Did he do the same to Scott Morrison when he was at Whitley too?
And I think another midice check when we were in europe?

The Doug McEwen goal where he went around the net twice and then went coast to coast with Saganiuk trailing him. Think it was against Durham?
Mark Richardson's goal against Sheffield this season.
Mike MacWilliam's breakaway in Nottingham where he back-handed it.
My favourite is still the Stephen Cooper goal though back in Wembley 1990 with just over a minute to go.

off the top of my head the Voth-Burns fight last season, just remember burns' head bouncing around. or Maciver 2 years ago (i think), can't rememeber the guys name but i think it was Newcastle or Hull and they dropped gloves MAciver got his hand on him and gave him a few hits and the guy went down, but he still had his hand on him so when the ref thought all was over he picked the guy back up for some more!

Wannabe2

Thread starter #16
Martynwo said:
Best hit without doubt - Mc on Tommy "the Duke" Plonker, best mid ice you will ever see, saw it live and many times on TV replays, best lesson every young player will learn is to keep your head up.

Best fights - Mike Ware for me was the best fighter, his fights with Vial were always good to watch. Also that fight he had with the Knights player (can't remember his name funny spelling) shook him like a rag doll.

Best Goal - For me it has to be Mc v Ayr (?) when rocky saganiuk was left trailing in his wake going 2 or 3 times around his own net then coast to coast goal

Best saves - hard to remember great saves individually, but I think Herly was our best all round NM

Good thread if people can keep in this type of answering format
If people can please keep to the format as i am trying to put something together, and your choses will be a great help, but going of into something else wont. The more peoples choices the better and will result in a far better outcome, Thank You. ;)

Best goal - Way too many so I’m going throw another one in. BNL Playoffs against Dundee. Russ and Ivan both serving majors and games. Game tied at the end and a 10 min OT period followed. But, under the BNL playoff rules OT classed as a new game. GWG Ivan ast Russ.

Best check - 'That Hip Check' by Kirk

Best fight - I have a few but just for changing the game and the cup tie - Regan Darby in the 1st leg of the CC final

Best Save - Anything that Joe Watkins saved (50 of them) against AIK Stockholm

Best Check - Athough the Checks from S Cooper and Kirk, are probably the 2 best in my eyes, there was also a Check behind the net with Mike Ware coming one way and, I'm pretty sure a Bison player (who was far smaller and travelling far faster) coming the other and meeting in the middle, with the result of the Bison players legs continuing forward while his upper body stopped and him sliding half the width of the ice into the boards.
Not a fair contest (and probably not a far check), but it stuck with me!

Best Goal - Steve Thornton away at Sheffield when he first came over. Short Handed infront of our net he takes the puck the whole way down centre ice chased by the whole Steelers team and with one player practically hugging him though the attacking zone and then shakes him off, scoring on the backhand with his back to goal.

Best fight - The Mike Ware and MacWilliam fights from the ISL days seemed to havethe most drama and exitment about them, with the most memorable for me being the battles between Ware and McSorely's London Team and the Vial KO.