Devils @ Braehead - Saturday Feb 14th - Chat/Updates

voth26

qazz said:
i doubt he was ever battered as a player from what I recall. As far as a war I also doubt that as they are intent on winning the league, if a close game it will be a tame affair. If a runaway for either hang on as it could get interesting. The goons as you call them have been fairly quiet in their quest of the title I believe as a team they have only averaged 10-14 min in penalties in their last 10 or so games. Having watched your team recently you need to wonder what happened to that championship team with your pick of coach of the year, not to mention the owners stepping up to sign another player
Where hae we stated we are a championship team or that we have coach of the year??, as for goons I was in braehead for the game and smith is nothing but a goon because he sure as hell can't play hockey. He such a brave guy going after a total non fighter like Chris jones, he was so keen to go with batch tho.

Temme

Assuming Devils don't win the league, i'd prefer Sheffield to win it (god that hurts)
I honestly don't want Braehead to win it as they've played easier games this year against the weaker teams.

That's not having a go at Braehead, heck they can only play the cards they're dealt.

Also this whole stigma of "your team is full of goons" "clueless rubbish players" bla bla bla needs to stop. Embarrasing. Braehead are top of the league for a reason, whether you like that style of play or not, they still have to win games on a regular basis to be where they are.

Jeff Smith was clearly sent out to do a job on anyone that bit to his antics. Good on him, and good on the Devils for not biting.

He gives CJ a few shoves in the chest, hardly cross checks & on a protected area either way. At 3-0 down in a CRUCIAL game i'm sure we can forgive players for losing their temper.

If Devils can maintain 3rd place i'd be happy come the end of the season, and hopefully now ALL our attention is on stuffing Coventry in the CC on Wednesday.

James

Administrator
We still have 3 games against Sheffield don't forget. That run of losses didn't help but the teams destiny is still in their hands.

Have Hope#35

Temme said:
Assuming Devils don't win the league, i'd prefer Sheffield to win it (god that hurts)
I honestly don't want Braehead to win it as they've played easier games this year against the weaker teams.

That's not having a go at Braehead, heck they can only play the cards they're dealt.

Also this whole stigma of "your team is full of goons" "clueless rubbish players" bla bla bla needs to stop. Embarrasing. Braehead are top of the league for a reason, whether you like that style of play or not, they still have to win games on a regular basis to be where they are.

Jeff Smith was clearly sent out to do a job on anyone that bit to his antics. Good on him, and good on the Devils for not biting.

He gives CJ a few shoves in the chest, hardly cross checks & on a protected area either way. At 3-0 down in a CRUCIAL game i'm sure we can forgive players for losing their temper.

If Devils can maintain 3rd place i'd be happy come the end of the season, and hopefully now ALL our attention is on stuffing Coventry in the CC on Wednesday.
Think we need to finish in at least 2nd Place as 3rd is likely to turn into 4th for the Playoffs as our Conference Winner could be someone other than Sheffield (who are currently 2nd.) No reason why we can't pursue 2nd or even 1st... We have Sheffield 3 Times in March, they will be crucial for our push for the Top 2!
Jeff Smith is a Goon, he apparently spat in Myers face during the game too which would explain Myers' reaction to Smith during the game!

Temme

James said:
We still have 3 games against Sheffield don't forget. That run of losses didn't help but the teams destiny is still in their hands.

This i like, If we can take points off Sheffield in those games then we're sitting pretty.

But works both ways, i'm sure both teams have identified these games as VITAL, and if we don't come away with the majority of the points then i fear we could slip to 4th/5th.

@hope, also agree with that, didn't factor in the conference rankings (which i think are a bit of a joke...)

James

Administrator
Forgot about conferences. That makes Sheffields job harder again as they have played 3 less conference games than the other teams.

Just watched the highlights, is the incident with Frank and Marsh a headbutt on Marsh? Or am I just seeing things and also missing something somewhere else?

Have Hope#35

Temme said:
James said:

This i like, If we can take points off Sheffield in those games then we're sitting pretty.

But works both ways, i'm sure both teams have identified these games as VITAL, and if we don't come away with the majority of the points then i fear we could slip to 4th/5th.

@hope, also agree with that, didn't factor in the conference rankings (which i think are a bit of a joke...)
I agree... They are a Joke, unless of course we can finish 1st! Then they're great :lol:

Devil_Abroad

Bevan7 said:
Just watched the highlights, is the incident with Frank and Marsh a headbutt on Marsh? Or am I just seeing things and also missing something somewhere else?
Definite head butt! No wonder Marsh went for him, and Bowns! Interesting to see Fitz looking around for someone to dance with and when he finally meets up with Clarkson he loses interest. :RAWK

Not sure what Smith said to Myers that resulted in that cheap shot punch after Myers had taken a penalty for hooking after he had been hooked several times on that play by Smith! In fact Smith was trying it on with Martin in the first just before his goal, and later with Chris Jones. Likes the small guys then

Well done Devils on an amazing weekend.

Hope you've got something left in the legs for Wednesday as the Blaze look to be back in form - and I'm going up to watch! lol

I hope this isn't too positive a post? :DWD

Skippy

Thread starter #52
Devil_Abroad said:
Not sure what Smith said to Myers that resulted in that cheap shot punch after Myers had taken a penalty for hooking after he had been hooked several times on that play by Smith! In fact Smith was trying it on with Martin in the first just before his goal, and later with Chris Jones. Likes the small guys then

I'm sure I saw on Twitter someone saying Smith Spat at him ?

Have Hope#35

skippy said:
Devil_Abroad said:

I'm sure I saw on Twitter someone saying Smith Spat at him ?
I saw that on Twitter too... Would certainly explain Myers' reaction as that wasn't like him!

Devil94

James said:
Isnt there a pretty hefty penalty for spitting ?
Would imagine so, but no chance it'll happen. Can't see any evidence of spitting on the video, and if the refs saw it they would have called at least a game penalty on the night (you would hope).

James

Administrator
RULE 162 – SPITTING
DEFINITION: A player who spits on or at an opponent, spectator, or anyone
in the rink during a game.
i.
A player or team official who spits on or at an opponent or anyone in
the rink during a game will be assessed a match penalty.
ii.
A bleeding player who intentionally wipes blood from his body onto
an opponent or anyone in the rink will be assessed a match penalty
for spitting.

Here's what I see on the highlights.

Smith makes a movement forward with his face and shoulders come up, like a spitting action. Myers reacts with a glove to the face and Smith goes down cheaply like he's been shot. Myers then makes a gesture to his mouth at ref. Not conclusive but something happened there, Myers not known for being so quick to react.

Frank makes two forward motions with his upper body to push Tyson back, looks like second one he makes head contact and Tyson grabs his leg to get his attention. Bowns has seen something as he also reacts. Let's be honest Tyson is handy but sparing with his fighting. He has stood up to Olson and Westgarth when they take liberties but does not drop the gloves lightly. He was still fuming after the linos split them up, something made him flip.

Lastly, Smith looking to fight anybody at the end regardless of them being a willing combatant or not. Cowardly, respect to Batch for putting him in his place, on his arse on the floor. I'd be more than happy for DoPs to announce that being #BatchSlapped was punishment enough so no further ban needed. And as for Clan fans applauding him off, bizarre.

All in all Braehead were put back in their box, any league win would be tainted by the conference system giving them so many games against teams found in bottom half of the table.

BostonBart22

KaneDevils said:
Please can posters stop calling Smith a goon! He's not that good!
quite surprised at smiths actions, at hull he didnt resort to those tactics, wouldnt be surprised if finnerty ordered him to get on the ice and goon it up with one of the kids c.j. fair dos c.j. could have taken the bait and it all couldve kicked of leading to injuries or suspensions to our special team players. ok smith may have got banned but that be no great loss to the goon army ,imagine us losing hotham if he got involved with the 2 semi finals coming up, i think the league should look into finnertys comments before the game.