could mike danton not play in the uk?

WelshHabsFan said:
This is interesting if you're bored; explains the law here very well but in Danton's case he was guilty of the attempt, no-one was actually hurt by him.
http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk/Loss-of-control.php

Otherwise I'm not getting involved here.
Interesting, but surely that would only be applicable if he was being tried in the UK?

He's been convicted in the US, and as it was over a 12 month sentence, it's an automatic refusal from UKBA.

Coventry would have known this from the outset, so it seems to raise some questions about how public they went with the signing so early. All a bit strange.

As for the hero worship in evidence from Coventry fans :DWD

drainage

KaneDevils said:
Here's a scenario OK. Someone knocks down a loved one, driving whilst twice over the legal limit. They then drive off.

can I say hand on heart I wouldn't take the law into my own hands?
No, I'm afraid I couldn't. And I don't think anyone else could either.
It's easier said than done until you find yourself in such a situation. Some things are not just black and white.
Pain and grief can have a devastating effect. I respect your opinion and your views and don't want to argue or fall out.
I've had my say.
Not going to fall out but there is a subtle difference between wanting to and doing ... off course everyone wants to punish those who hurt our loved ones but I prefer to let the law take its path.

We arent a third world country with despots in charge - a country that condones or excuses vigilante behaviour isnt a country i want to live in

As I said before he committed the crime and he paid the price - thats fine by me and he may well be a model citizen now but some of his comments make you wonder how contrite he really is.

If he comes he comes - prefer to concentrate on my team !

drainage

Imagine said:
WelshHabsFan said:
This is interesting if you're bored; explains the law here very well but in Danton's case he was guilty of the attempt, no-one was actually hurt by him.
http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk/Loss-of-control.php

Otherwise I'm not getting involved here.
Interesting, but surely that would only be applicable if he was being tried in the UK?

He's been convicted in the US, and as it was over a 12 month sentence, it's an automatic refusal from UKBA.

Coventry would have known this from the outset, so it seems to raise some questions about how public they went with the signing so early. All a bit strange.

As for the hero worship in evidence from Coventry fans :DWD
Think someone posted earlier (or tweeted) that its likely Thommo didnt want to announce it and Danton did .... or maybe I dreamt it !! if its an outright no for a 12 month or longer sentance then it does seem very odd.

You would think they would apply and appeal on the quiet rather than the 3 ring circus that has now hit town.

Anyway less than 10 days to game time ... thats the good news here :D

Crap start for Blaze. We looked good on paper and now this has reared it's ugly head. I have one question for the Blaze org:

Why did you leave it so damn late to apply?

Surely someone had the sense to think his past may cause delays or to be stopped altogether. More poor management from this club. We don't need another team to battle, we're too busy beating ourselves up!

Thommo should start looking for others players just in case.

drainage said:
Think someone posted earlier (or tweeted) that its likely Thommo didnt want to announce it and Danton did .... or maybe I dreamt it !!
Ahh, maybe you're right, it does ring a bell dimly somewhere.
Circus indeed! :pickle

James said:
Tad# said:
Why did you leave it so damn late to apply?
Did they though ? If true and the Olympics has fouled up the applications for lots of clubs it might not be their fault.

Danton tweeted not that long ago they had only just applied. Granted, the Olymipics caused problems, but we signed him at the start of the off season. Should of done it back then.

Imagine said:
That goes without saying, but people were questioning how things were at our end so thought we could all get informed. There is no knowledge that is not power.

Danton tweeted on 26/06/12 that he had started the Visa process. So took around 7 weeks. I'd imagine an appeal or a re-submission could take longer as they are probably not treated as priority?

The GM from the Blaze has confirmed the visa process was started as soon as he signed so you can't blame the club. From the PR, it suggests that a rejection was expected on the first try. Question for me is how realistic is getting it accepted on appeal. If it is likely, I'm happy to wait a month as I think he could be worth it. With our budget, our season is realistically going to be defined by moments rather than cups. He is likely to be involved in these and give us something to be excited about, whether its a fight, hit or a goal. If we can get Farmer back whilst we are waiting, all the better.

However, if there is no realistic chance of him ever getting a visa, the club should move but how you replace someone like that is very difficult.

There's a VERY slim chance he'll get in. The rules state that anyone that has been sentenced for over 12 months is usually grounds for refusal. Danton can't even get into the USA...

James

Administrator
J.B said:
However, if there is no realistic chance of him ever getting a visa, the club should move but how you replace someone like that is very difficult.
They won't be able to get a player of the same calibre for the same cost. Danton will have come cheap with the question mark above his head. It was a shrewd move by Blaze. If he gets in they get a good player cheap, if he doesn't they get to run with 10 imports and get the full backing of the fans.

I'll be honest, I know the law is the law but it does seem a shame that people can't see past his past. He made a mistake, served his time and now genuinely seems to have changed for the better. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks he would be an entertaining player to watch.

It seemed a bit of an odd move by the Blaze when he was first announced and we all found out about his criminal record but now, I think Thommo may need to start looking for other players at the very least even if he doesn't send out contracts yet.

Skippy

I guess the possibilty of him being denied was always in the back of the Blaze coaching staffs minds ?

With possible lock outs there could be some real quality players looking to play as NHL players trickle down and take other contracts etc etc.

Could work out well for them