could mike danton not play in the uk?

Thread starter #1
RUMOUR: Speculation is increasing that new Coventry Blaze Ice Hockey Team forward Mike Danton will be refused a visa to play in the Elite League. BIH.co.uk

Tad#

Rumours other then BIH (which instantly means its more reliable :D ) are saying he's been denied. Silly, silly game by Blaze. They've left it far too late to apply for such a key player. Can't see him getting here in time for start if season now - or at all...

With his conviction, it was always going to be an automatic no for him. So the only way would be through an appeal process, and there would have to be very good reasons for it to be granted.
According to someone I know at UKBA, just wanting him to play for Coventry isn't enough, as there's no shortage of other players available.
So I'd be quite surprised if he does end up playing, but that's just from the info I have from UKBA.

Still, at least Farmer has a place now he's not good enough for Arystan Temirtau

As Tad said, a pretty silly game from Coventry, always looked like a PR exercise that could blow up in their faces.

Tad#

Imagine said:
With his conviction, it was always going to be an automatic no for him. So the only way would be through an appeal process, and there would have to be very good reasons for it to be granted.
According to someone I know at UKBA, just wanting him to play for Coventry isn't enough, as there's no shortage of other players available.
So I'd be quite surprised if he does end up playing, but that's just from the info I have from UKBA.

Still, at least Farmer has a place now he's not good enough for Arystan Temirtau

As Tad said, a pretty silly game from Coventry, always looked like a PR exercise that could blow up in their faces.
From what I've heard, Farmer has left due to personal reasons (guessing he didn't like it there), the fans were quite sad to see him leave - apparently.

Going to be tough for Blaze to find someone now. There's a good chance Farmer will go elsewhere, tempted by other clubs/money. Granted he was convicted, but we've let far worse into the country. One of the olympic players was due in court for knifing someone to death for crying out loud!

Going to be tough to find someone else? There is no shortage of Canadian hockey players in the world and plenty looking for jobs, particularly with the NHL situation. I'll be a bit gutted if Danton doesn't make it over but it's hardly the end of the world. I wouldn't say it's a PR disaster for the Blaze either - even if he never steps on the ice, he has generated lots of interest and sold season tickets. Some might even suggest it was a very clever ploy ....

As for leaving the visa application too late, I'm no expert but I believe you can only apply a few weeks before you want to arrive in the country.

J.B said:
Going to be tough to find someone else? There is no shortage of Canadian hockey players in the world and plenty looking for jobs, particularly with the NHL situation. I'll be a bit gutted if Danton doesn't make it over but it's hardly the end of the world. I wouldn't say it's a PR disaster for the Blaze either - even if he never steps on the ice, he has generated lots of interest and sold season tickets. Some might even suggest it was a very clever ploy ....

As for leaving the visa application too late, I'm no expert but I believe you can only apply a few weeks before you want to arrive in the country.
Or it could back fire ..... Surely the Blaze should have known it wouldn't be a straight forward visa application and therefore shouldn't have released a PR on it, what about people who have bought ST's on the back of Dantons signing . Are they going to refund the money if he doesn't get here ? For what its worth I still wouldn't be suprised if he ends in a Blaze shirt !

Hmmmm....I am not sure , I don't know why but I get the feeling he has been granted a visa but igiving out duff info so he can look like the 'big man' he deludes himself he is and step out onto the ice in Cardiff (sort of make an entrance).

Gazza272

I'm not sure if its different with sports but I work with the UKBA every day through education. To appeal the desicion could be a lenghty process and probably wont be resolved by the time the first game rolls around.

It might also cost them which i guess the blaze will have to weigh up whether its worth it.

Something tells me Coventry didnt want to release it but once Danton started shooting his mouth off saying he had signed in Britain and then following Thommo it wouldnt take a genius to work out what was happening.

The visa process is also a personal thing so Danton will have to be putting in the leg work to get it simply sponsored and supported by the Blaze.

Danton having a child may also go in his favour on appeal. He will seem less of a risk to the UKBA being in charge of an infant. Especially as it seems his infant isnt coming over with him, it gives him a reason to go back.

Be very interesting to see what happens with this one.

Skippy

"Hey guys, super pumped about all the support I have been receiving. You guys are awesome. There will be an update for you folks tomorrow. -- Mike Danton (@Mike_Danton)"

I smell a publicity stunt..

I see that some Coventry fans are tweeting the UKBA saying that Danton needs to be in a Blaze shirt and that he needs a visa now. He is a two bit hockey player they don't even know.... !!! This is making Coventry look more and more foolish as the days go on .

drainage

skippy said:
"Hey guys, super pumped about all the support I have been receiving. You guys are awesome. There will be an update for you folks tomorrow. -- Mike Danton (@Mike_Danton)"

I smell a publicity stunt..
Yeap think it is too... Dragging the whole think out for max effect

Can't see it being a stunt. Too many players have retweeted etc about wanted Danton to get a Visa. If it is though, it's a really, really poor stunt by them..

Gazza272

Tad# said:
Can't see it being a stunt. Too many players have retweeted etc about wanted Danton to get a Visa. If it is though, it's a really, really poor stunt by them..

It's Danton to a tee though.

Based on his tweet today I think it's pretty obvious he has his visa. Given that the UKBA probably wouldnt be working properly during saturday and sunday (this is based on student visas might be different for work) I would think Danton was issued his visa on Friday or earlier.

Thus his whole Twitter campaign has been to make himself feel better. I think it's worth noting before the tweet Skippy posted he wrote to Adam Keefe saying thats the trophy I want to win this year in reference to the EIHL championship so he's very much intent on coming here.

He got his attention though, we were all suckered in.

drainage

Gazza272 said:
Tad# said:

It's Danton to a tee though.

Based on his tweet today I think it's pretty obvious he has his visa. Given that the UKBA probably wouldnt be working properly during saturday and sunday (this is based on student visas might be different for work) I would think Danton was issued his visa on Friday or earlier.

Thus his whole Twitter campaign has been to make himself feel better. I think it's worth noting before the tweet Skippy posted he wrote to Adam Keefe saying thats the trophy I want to win this year in reference to the EIHL championship so he's very much intent on coming here.

He got his attention though, we were all suckered in.
I am sure we will see him in the UK this season .....don't agree with it but am sure he will be ...a new villan (quite literally !!) will be in town!