could mike danton not play in the uk?

TheStub

He's served his time, and has therefore discharged his debt. His crimes were not directly of a violent or abusive nature, and he is unlikely to pose a threat to society.

The founding principles of UK criminal justice is rehabilitation not punishment - so we would be going against our own principles to refuse him entry.

drainage

TheStub said:
He's served his time, and has therefore discharged his debt. His crimes were not directly of a violent or abusive nature, and he is unlikely to pose a threat to society.

The founding principles of UK criminal justice is rehabilitation not punishment - so we would be going against our own principles to refuse him entry.
But until someone from the UK with same record can go opposite way I disagree with it ...know of someone with a criminal record on a far lesser scale who couldn't go to vegas for 5 night holiday

Don't dispute the served the time for the crime element but until there is parity dont agree with Danton getting a visa ... When UK citizens can do same then that's ok but until then nope think its wrong

TheStub

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd like to think we are more enlightened than our American kids.

Personally I'd rather our policies be dictated by our principles than cheap retaliation for a country that's still finding it's way.

Twinkle said:
I see that some Coventry fans are tweeting the UKBA saying that Danton needs to be in a Blaze shirt and that he needs a visa now. He is a two bit hockey player they don't even know.... !!! This is making Coventry look more and more foolish as the days go on .
Surely that is all a bit tongue in cheek? I have my doubts whether entry is granted on the basis of number of tweets in support of someone.

Fingers crossed for positive news tomorrow. You can read it two ways. Either he has been stringing people along as Gazza says or, to me, it suggests he has probably been refused and the club are going to give details of their appeal and how long it will take etc.

KaneDevils

The Stubs right. Danton has done his time and turned his life around. Yes he hired someone to kill somebody, but this was somebody who had done horrible things to him, things beyond comprehension. Maybe some of us would of done the same, who knows. Nobody got hurt, only Danton himself. Let the bloke live his life. It's not like he's a psycho who hides in the bushes!!
Im up for seeing top talent in this league, Danton fits that description.

Welshy74

KaneDevils said:
The Stubs right. Danton has done his time and turned his life around. Yes he hired someone to kill somebody, but this was somebody who had done horrible things to him, things beyond comprehension. Maybe some of us would of done the same, who knows. Nobody got hurt, only Danton himself. Let the bloke live his life. It's not like he's a psycho who hides in the bushes!!
+1

drainage

KaneDevils said:
Sorry no excuse for taking the law into your own hands whatever the provocation .... If you condone that then by default anyone who has been wronged should be allowed to dish out their own brand of justice .....slippery slope that

Leaving that aside my issue isn't whether he has served his time it's the injustice in the visa laws the other way around .... Until there is parity for UK citizens I don't agree with him getting the visa

And as for no one getting hurt ..that's more luck than judgement hardly makes it a little slip up !!

drainage

Wannabe2 said:
Rumours are that he may have had it accepted conditionaly. Hope so, want him to come myself.
So it says on Twitter - nothing against the man personally but dont agree with the difference in visa laws either side of the pond.

I am fairly certain he will ply his trade in the UK this season ...... lets hope he lives up to all the hype !

drainage

KaneDevils said:
Sorry no excuse for taking the law into your own hands whatever the provocation
Hmmm. :roll:
Sorry ??? You think there is ????? Want a country of vigilantes do you ? Hope you never commit a crime then cos am fairly certain you wouldnt want the victim extracting retribution - will never get me to agree taking matters into your own hand is right

KaneDevils

Here's a scenario OK. Someone knocks down a loved one, driving whilst twice over the legal limit. They then drive off.

can I say hand on heart I wouldn't take the law into my own hands?
No, I'm afraid I couldn't. And I don't think anyone else could either.
It's easier said than done until you find yourself in such a situation. Some things are not just black and white.
Pain and grief can have a devastating effect. I respect your opinion and your views and don't want to argue or fall out.
I've had my say.

Earnie

The rules can sometimes be rather inflexible. Someone is bound to say 'well you relaxed the rules for him - why not for me?'
Personally I hope he gets to play in the UK

James

Administrator
As someone who has played at the highest level of the sport in the world, he would be a player that junior players could look up to and learn from.
:DWD He can teach them valuable life lessons like don't get caught and if you do get caught how to make other prisoners your 'bitch'

drainage

DevilDom said:
Makes him sound like a model citizen - I can't see why he was refused in the first place! :roll:

Seriously though, I hope his appeal is successful and he makes it over here to play as we need players of his claibre here and he does appear to be making the effort to show he is a reformed person.
Just said same thing to Sam - makes the UKBA seem spiteful !!!