Challenge Cup Final

Swarley

The way Belfast have found form this is looking like it'll be their season for a grandslam unless they some how fumble it in the playoffs

Swarley

We can all carry on about how bad the format is for the cup, how home ice advantage shouldn't be a thing but it'll never change big budget teams will always dominant this cups format and that's exactly what they want, if Fife had of gone against say Blaze in the final you'd of had the big money teams demanding it be changed.

Fife didn't really stand a chance but they turned up and played and even beat the steelers to the finals that along is an amazing thing to have happen.

AJ73

The league needs restructuring and that game last night shows exactly why. The salary cap needs to become a mandatory component of the rules and diligence should be undertaken to ensure it is kept within for all teams. If smaller teams then choose not to utilise the full cap, that’s their prerogative - but it should ‘even’ the playing field between the clubs somewhat and ensure the league is more competitive as a result.
Also, if you have a cup final that you play in midweek, because it’s too irrelevant to block out one Saturday night in a season - then what is the point of that cup, beyond purely a money making exercise?!

James

Administrator
Not the exclusive right for any one club.. 9 others clubs had that same availability open to them.
I'm sure some clubs finances would say the availability wasn't open to them, although that's no fault of the Giants. Well done Belfast and well done Fife for being there in the first place.

Wannabe2

Not the exclusive right for any one club.. 9 others clubs had that same availability open to them.
That’s far from the truth though in fairness, it’s purely a financial thing that many teams couldn’t afford. It’s a luxury that many teams couldn’t afford.

Ejercito Rojas

The actual Challenge Cup final itself is just the inevitable sideshow in an attempt for the League to give the competition some credibility.
The ACTUAL point of the CC is to deliver seemingly endless home and away fixtures to generate money.
A completely ridiculous format that won’t change because the Scottish clubs don’t want to travel, Sheffield and Nottingham will not want to be split up so they can continue with their gravy train.
Belfast will undoubtedly want to carry on with status quo, which leaves the geographically closest southern teams in the remaining group.

With most clubs having their own agenda in deciding the group make up its devalued the whole competition before a puck is dropped, so to award a trophy on this basis is farcical.

As someone said previously, if the League deem the competition too unimportant to set aside a designated Saturday to hold the final it shows you pretty much everything you need to know about the stature this devalued competition holds!

So, will the format change? In a word…No!

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

A lot of sour grapes in this thread.

Giants won it, won it well and let’s be honest are the best team this season.

Would have liked us to have won it, but the fact of the matter is Giants have a better team this year.

We can all moan about salary cap/luxury of bringing in extra imports etc etc - but until proven guilty they’ve operated within the rules! The same rules are open to everyone else. If giants have a few more ££££ to throw at it then so be it - same as in all other sports.

Ejercito Rojas

Would have liked us to have won it, but the fact of the matter is Giants have a better team this year.

We can all moan about salary cap/luxury of bringing in extra imports etc etc - but until proven guilty they’ve operated within the rules! The same rules are open to everyone else. If giants have a few more ££££ to throw at it then so be it - same as in all other sports.
I don’t have a problem with Belfast spending their own money on whoever they want, my problem is the Challenge Cup in its current format is flawed and tedious in the extreme!

E.D.S.

I assume Belfast have some pretty scary revenue targets to hit to break even given the arena situation (I don't know this for a fact so shout if I've got that wrong) so having an average team won't put bums on seats. Whilst you could say the same for everyone, mid table mediocrity (Panthers) and a third full arena will probably end them - again, I'm purely speculating - that might explain the revolving door of imports and panic buying. I guess the question I'm asking is, could other teams cope better with a regular third place finish or below finish and still be financially viable if the arena/rink is barely full (putting to one side an owner that is happy to keep bailing a team out)?

Amazes me that Devils fans say they originated/started cheque book hockey, but not t many complaints from within, then when another team spends more then that becomes a problem. within
As for the CCup format, I fully agree it needs revamping and have thought that way for numerous years. The fact is the majority of GM's agree to this same format season on season. It's clearly laid out before the season begins, therefore you then have to play/beat what is in front of you. If you do this well you then gain top seeding. If clubs have problems with the way the group's are set, then they should make this clear and push for change. But like someone has mentioned it's set up to be numerous home/away money spinners (although plenty wouldn't agree, due to somewhat smaller attendances). The two teams who reached the final fully deserved to be there and because of the way it's structured the final then becomes a home fixture. The only people to point the finger at is the league's GM's and EIHL board.

Have Hope#35

Might well be. And the league may well reformat it.. As it stands, pre-season it was the agreed format. And unless you win it, every other team will consider it a joke competition.
TBF even in the years we've won it there's no denying it's a joke of a competition... It's still a trophy though and if you win it you'll enjoy it regardless!

BostonBart22

What rules, never seen it in writing which imo should be listed on EIHL website at the start of every season about wage caps, but no it was a gentlemans agreement instead...bullshite to that..