Challenge Cup Final

Wannabe2

I don’t have a problem with the Challenge Cup myself, to me it’s the chance to see more games and that’s good, maybe it’s not set out in the best format, but I still enjoy it. Loved the games when we were in the final more so when we won obviously. You have to beat what’s in front of you , just wish the gap between top teams and bottom teams could be reduced making competitions a bit more competitive.

august04 2.0

Congratulations to Belfast, they deservedly won the competition under the rules laid out. No issue with that at all. In fact, I admire them for investing in the team when they had their major wobble a couple of months ago, by bringing in quality replacements like Besko. If only we were quite so ambitious instead of being told at that time that there was “no one out there“. Who knows whether they broke the rules or not, that’s for the EIHL board to look but when your salary cap has been based on “gentleman’s agreements“ in the past, then it means nothing anyway and there is no punishment. But the competition does need a major overhaul next season. 2 groups of 5, not bothered if based regionally, top 2 in each group in the semifinals. And if the final is not in a neutral venue, then it must revert to being played over 2 games.

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

The actual Challenge Cup final itself is just the inevitable sideshow in an attempt for the League to give the competition some credibility.
The ACTUAL point of the CC is to deliver seemingly endless home and away fixtures to generate money.
A completely ridiculous format that won’t change because the Scottish clubs don’t want to travel, Sheffield and Nottingham will not want to be split up so they can continue with their gravy train.
Belfast will undoubtedly want to carry on with status quo, which leaves the geographically closest southern teams in the remaining group.

With most clubs having their own agenda in deciding the group make up its devalued the whole competition before a puck is dropped, so to award a trophy on this basis is farcical.

As someone said previously, if the League deem the competition too unimportant to set aside a designated Saturday to hold the final it shows you pretty much everything you need to know about the stature this devalued competition holds!

So, will the format change? In a word…No!
Makes me laugh, all clubs have a common agenda, their all businesses designed to make a profit, just like every other sport & all compete to get the most benefit for themselves.

ASHIPP

Am sure if Fife had won the game last night, we wouldn't even be discussing wage caps and fairness etc. We would rightly be lauding the Flyers for a fantastic win (frankly, any team getting to the final has done very well. An achievement Devils, Steelers, Panthers failed to reach this year). Some might possibly be lauding the current CC format for finally working in favour of a non arena team.
The current repetitive format does need changing and levelling up, however. The good 'ol Autumn Cup was a bit more exciting.

It's difficult to imagine how Giants can attract these high calibre players, stay within the roster numbers AND the wage cap. A wizard GM would have to work miracles!

Last edited:

moggy#9

Am sure if Fife had won the game last night, we wouldn't even be discussing wage caps and fairness etc. We would rightly be lauding the Flyers for a fantastic win (frankly, any team getting to the final has done very well. An achievement Devils, Steelers, Panthers failed to reach this year). Some might possibly be lauding the current CC format for finally working in favour of a non arena team.
The current repetitive format does need changing however. The good 'ol Autumn Cup was a bit more exciting.

It's difficult to imagine how Giants can attract high calibre players, stay within the roster numbers AND the wage cap. A wizard GM would have to work miracles!
If the league embraced openness in these things perhaps such achievements would be lauded rather than greeted with suspicion.

BostonBart22

Well done giants on the win, firmly believe the grandslam is on for them and on that note I think keefer will go onto bigger leagues next season , he's done it all now at Belfast as with lordo in his winning seasons, plus some of the players he's got now will be looking to upgrade themselves, they've had a great core this season and .ist consistent team.

BostonBart22

Incidentally if the final was on neutral ice would the gate money and tv rights be split, if so would fife miss out last night as it was on belfast pad.

Gisland

At the start of every season, I have my season ticket in place, we sit in the same seats, and drink the same ridiculous amount of garbage beer and EVERY season, I dread, or just don't attend, the group stages of the CC Cup. It bores the life out of me. I would love for the league to do something, anything, to improve it. Last night was a good enough night. A cup was won, and the team got the usual plaudits. However, the buzz of a match against Cardiff, Guildford etc just wasn't there.March 2023 CC win will not live long in my memory

BostonBart22

At the start of every season, I have my season ticket in place, we sit in the same seats, and drink the same ridiculous amount of garbage beer and EVERY season, I dread, or just don't attend, the group stages of the CC Cup. It bores the life out of me. I would love for the league to do something, anything, to improve it. Last night was a good enough night. A cup was won, and the team got the usual plaudits. However, the buzz of a match against Cardiff, Guildford etc just wasn't there.March 2023 CC win will not live long in my memory
Correct it wasn't edge of seat stuff by far, but a great atmosphere and the crowd were well into it as we're the fife fans, they would've had a great piss up regardless of the result bcos it was their first final in the eihl era.

Kevin roog

I think the format with the best qualifying team gets home advantage in the final is a good idea, but as someone said, Belfast are always going to play the worst teams in the league , where we get Guildford and Coventry, and if you are going to play group games, just play each team once, home and away

august04 2.0

I think the format with the best qualifying team gets home advantage in the final is a good idea, but as someone said, Belfast are always going to play the worst teams in the league , where we get Guildford and Coventry, and if you are going to play group games, just play each team once, home and away
I disagree that it’s a good idea. It’s a ridiculous idea when you have such a disparity in quality between the groups (even if the 2 finalists this year were from the Scottish group/Belfast, which is a little surprising). The final must either be a one off at a neutral venue, or over 2 legs as it used to be. I'd prefer it over 2 legs.

pjj365

I disagree that it’s a good idea. It’s a ridiculous idea when you have such a disparity in quality between the groups (even if the 2 finalists this year were from the Scottish group/Belfast, which is a little surprising). The final must either be a one off at a neutral venue, or over 2 legs as it used to be. I'd prefer it over 2 legs.
How can you arrange a neutral venue until the finalist are known
Last minute arena bookings on 2 successive days is likely to be impossible. Arenas are the most attractive venues in terms of numbers but I guess you could add in Cardiff and Glasgow
As for who host I thought clubs bid for the rights to hold and has nothing to do with positions in the seedings

august04 2.0

How can you arrange a neutral venue until the finalist are known
Last minute arena bookings on 2 successive days is likely to be impossible. Arenas are the most attractive venues in terms of numbers but I guess you could add in Cardiff and Glasgow
As for who host I thought clubs bid for the rights to hold and has nothing to do with positions in the seedings
Well you can’t arrange a neutral venue until the finalists are known, that’s pretty obvious! But why does a one off final need to be in a big arena? We put on 2 great finals. As you say, there are other options too, doesn’t have to be Sheffield or Nottingham. Not sure I get your point on “last minute arena bookings on 2 successive days” though? But as I said, my preference would be back to a 2 legged final, you don’t have to worry about a neutral venue then, it’s just a home and away series.

Have Hope#35

Exactly the same can be said of the play offs. They're just a joke for different reasons.
At least with the Playoffs they are what they have to be! We all want a series but too many teams need to commit to using their rink which impacts having a proper series... At least the short format doesn't result in loads of boring games like the CC - It's also fair unlike the CC Group format!

Earnie

Well there is an easily recognisable trend here. We all seem to agree that there is urgent need for an imaginative change to the Challenge Cup format. Like before 23/24 season would be good! A new name for it would be refreshing.