CDRA Open letter

Foxy

Ocko said:
oldblock4 said:
As someone else has already said they would be worried if they were the owner seeing a fall in ticket sales, mumblings of not renewing st's, not going to games. Surely if Paul Ragan is still planning on running the Devils next season he and others should be thinking this?!!
This is the part I fail to understand either, especially after PR makes out this is all about the 'business'. We are losing fans at a rate of knots, regardless how many 'cretins' and 'militia' he thinks there are, the problem is bigger than that where people are just fed up. This has to be our worst for attendances in years but according to Ragan it's just the protesters/milita/cretins/Steelers in desguise fault; 600 to a quarter final game is definitely a bigger problem than what '20 or so' people can make. The business is in trouble, if it isnt it is just a matter of time. He needs to build bridges and fast and stop with this ridiculous 'my way or no way' defiance. He should know as well as anyone you cannot run a business where you are disliked by such a majority, you HAVE to appeal to your customers - he doesnt need this drama 1 year before the main event of moving into the new arena but is doing nothing to help himself.

Paul Hoskins, Block 3 Row C Seat 6.
Good post.

He seems to be taking this as a personal vendetta between himself and Paul Sullivan. The rest of us are irrelevant.

As for not having a clue what the protest is about ...... maybe he should take the time to listen before its too late.

James

Administrator
What is the aim of the protest then. What is the endgame. What is it to achieve? theStub asked the questions and a laundry list of annoyances were posted but not what the actual protest is actually hoping to achieve. Yes there are issues but is it a general level of annoyance protest ?

Mooney#16

If its anything like last time. You are kidding yourself if you think some of the personalities involved are capable of keeping their mouth shut.

DevilDom

James said:
What is the aim of the protest then. What is the endgame. What is it to achieve? theStub asked the questions and a laundry list of annoyances were posted but not what the actual protest is actually hoping to achieve. Yes there are issues but is it a general level of annoyance protest ?
For me, the endgame is as follows:

- to show Paul Ragan that his Militia of 20 disgruntled fans is a lot more
- to have acknowledgement and respect for the reasons for being disgruntled rather than being dismissed.
- action to deal with the many issues that have been dealt with by the club so badly this year.
- for the club management to treat ALL fans, sponsors, players etc. with respect.

Do I want to dictate the roster - No. Am I against change - No provided it is not change for change sake.

Finny

Mooney#16 said:
If its anything like last time. You are kidding yourself if you think some of the personalities involved are capable of keeping their mouth shut.
But it is nothing like last time. If it somehow turns into that, I would walk away and I think so would a lot of people.

At the moment it seems to be the club trying to turn it into a Ragan v Sullivan or Loyal Fans v Militia Trouble Makers argument.

DevilDom

I think Ragan's latest interview showed why the offer of CDRA would not of worked. There is not an ounce of reconciliation in him.

Mooney#16

Not just the club. It's a polarising debate. I don't think anyone denies the motives are sound ish. But seems the polarising aspect is the protest. Not all fans believe in that course of action but the fallout effects everyone.

James

Administrator
OK I understand the first two points Dom and I suspect actually trying to speak to Mr Ragan directly might get you more in the right direction with the second at least. How do you see the third point working. Will you provide Mr Ragan with a list. Will there be action points drawn up. Will there be goals to aim for? It's all a bit wishy washy otherwise. More a 'down with this sort of thing' Father Ted protest. Let Mr Ragan know your issues, what they actually are and how you suggest they can be amicably achieved otherwise you're just getting wet for 1/2 an hour with no good achievement.

James said:
From the article in the south wales Echo it's to get rid of the current owner:
“I can only speak for myself, but I would like to see the current management gone. They seem unable to run the club in a positive way for the benefit of fans and that is shown by dwindling attendances.
But even though our own fanbase is divided on the protest, for some reason the organiser/organisers think it's great that they have fans from other clubs backing them up. What the aim of that is I have no idea, the Coventry fans are hardly having a great time with their current ownership, the Sheffield fans were/are calling for Christiansens head and were getting annoyed that their current owner wasn't acting quick enough.

Some of the reasons for this protest seem to be reasonable to me, even if I think it's going to do far more harm than good to the fanbase. But trying to get support from other fans around the league is ridiculous, the decisions in Cardiff are not affecting those living hundreds of miles away.

DevilDom

James said:
OK I understand the first two points Dom and I suspect actually trying to speak to Mr Ragan directly might get you more in the right direction with the second at least. How do you see the third point working. Will you provide Mr Ragan with a list. Will there be action points drawn up. Will there be goals to aim for? It's all a bit wishy washy otherwise. More a 'down with this sort of thing' Father Ted protest. Let Mr Ragan know your issues, what they actually are and how you suggest they can be amicably achieved otherwise you're just getting wet for 1/2 an hour with no good achievement.
After watching the last interview that Ragan has done do you really think he is that open to discussion? All you ever hear from him is dismissal of fans who have a concern.

I don't want to give the management a list of objectives and actions that are needed they should be obvious (although I'd happily do it if PR wants me to), with the basic principals being honesty, integrity and respect.

James

Administrator
HatchetMan said:
James said:
From the article in the south wales Echo it's to get rid of the current owner:
“I can only speak for myself, but I would like to see the current management gone. They seem unable to run the club in a positive way for the benefit of fans and that is shown by dwindling attendances.
But even though our own fanbase is divided on the protest, for some reason the organiser/organisers think it's great that they have fans from other clubs backing them up. What the aim of that is I have no idea, the Coventry fans are hardly having a great time with their current ownership, the Sheffield fans were/are calling for Christiansens head and were getting annoyed that their current owner wasn't acting quick enough.

Some of the reasons for this protest seem to be reasonable to me, even if I think it's going to do far more harm than good to the fanbase. But trying to get support from other fans around the league is ridiculous, the decisions in Cardiff are not affecting those living hundreds of miles away.
So everyone outside is protesting to get rid of Ragan? That's not on Dom's list? Is each person going outside for their own reasons then ? Sometimes I have someone standing in my season ticket spot at games and they won't move. That really annoys me, I paid for that place. Should I stand outside then ?

DevilDom

James said:
So everyone outside is protesting to get rid of Ragan? That's not on Dom's list? Is each person going outside for their own reasons then ? Sometimes I have someone standing in my season ticket spot at games and they won't move. That really annoys me, I paid for that place. Should I stand outside then ?
:lol:

I never said I wanted Ragan to stay either. ;)

The extent as to how far things go is in PR's hands in my opinion. He could show some empathy to the people protesting and narrow the gap and help to end it or he could continue being belligerent and watch it widen and go on.

Where does it say everybody is doing that? It clearly says that is Paul's personal opinion. If PR is not going to acknowledge that there are more than 20 annoyed fans then it is natural that those fans will want to demonstrate that there are. He knows what the issues are, they've been raised at fans forums and in writing, but he shrugs then off due to it all bring from the same few people.

If the issues are prompting people to question their commitment to attending our renewing season tickets, surely it is beret that the club have an understanding of the numbers involved rather than only seeing it when applications are lower than expected?

Paul Sullivan

James said:
James, it clearly states that opinion is my own and I was deliberately highlighting that. Not quite sure why you seem to be ignoring that very clear point.

As for 'is each person going outside for their own reasons' - Of Course! How else would they decide? Apart from bullying and mind control of course :roll:

Feel free to stand outside if you have been sufficiently dissatisfied and frustrated by the management of the Club this year. Feel free to not do so if you are happy with the current organisation, feel you benefit sufficiently from the Club they provide or just don't want to because of a personal or personality issue.

It seems to me that your belittling of the reasons, justification or decisions made by those who are standing outside is a short leap to 'I don't understand why there is a protest', which is what Paul said today, and a perfect example of his denial of the level of dissatisfaction of a good number of his fans and partners. Current and former.

Comparing over 100 people saying they will stand outside in protest to an easily solved issue with a newbie in your spot is not only disingenuous, it is a little insulting.

James

Administrator
bluedevil said:
Where does it say everybody is doing that? It clearly says that is Paul's personal opinion. If PR is not going to acknowledge that there are more than 20 annoyed fans then it is natural that those fans will want to demonstrate that there are. He knows what the issues are, they've been raised at fans forums and in writing, but he shrugs then off due to it all bring from the same few people.

If the issues are prompting people to question their commitment to attending our renewing season tickets, surely it is beret that the club have an understanding of the numbers involved rather than only seeing it when applications are lower than expected?
So you are saying everyone is protesting for various disparate reasons? That's not really a sensible protest. I've already said I think the protest it potentially damaging so if it is going to go ahead, I'd rather know it was going ahead with a tangible goal rather than a vague collection of issues. If I stand outside because I'm annoyed with people standing in my place at games, how will Ragan know? Will he assume I'm there because I want him out or will he assume everyone is there in solidarity for me and my 'people standing in my place' plight? It devalues the process completely if there isn't one accord amongst the people protesting outside.

James

Administrator
Paul Sullivan said:
Comparing over 100 people saying they will stand outside in protest to an easily solved issue with a newbie in your spot is not only disingenuous, it is a little insulting.
But that's exactly my point Paul. You say it clearly states that your opinions are your own but how is Ragan going to know what everyone else is protesting for if they don't all share your opinion? There may be varying levels of disappointment / disgust / anger / wanting a fag break amongst the people outside. Without a concerted voice it achieves nothing. Stand outside if you feel its necessary but at least agree on the reasons and aims behind it.

Paul Sullivan

James said:
Paul Sullivan said:
But that's exactly my point Paul. You say it clearly states that your opinions are your own but how is Ragan going to know what everyone else is protesting for if they don't all share your opinion? There may be varying levels of disappointment / disgust / anger / wanting a fag break amongst the people outside. Without a concerted voice it achieves nothing. Stand outside if you feel its necessary but at least agree on the reasons and aims behind it.
James this is something that began as me posting what I would do. Just me. Others have joined and posted support, for which I am grateful. You seem to be playing for a kind of check-mate whereby I either speak on behalf of over 100 people without consultation or try to say that the protest is meaningless without a manifesto.

It is my sincere hope that tomorrow strikes a chord and Paul and those of us who are unhappy with his management of the Club can forge a strong, respectable Cardiff Devils of which we can be proud. Irrespective of your own views, I think based on the objective commentary on this season from around the League and now this event, it would be churlish in the extreme to suggest we are anything but a shadow of our former selves.

If further mistreatment of players (my prime motivation) were, God forbid, to re-occur then it is likely someone would organise a fans-only forum to discuss a more structured and I would guess, aggressive approach.

And let me be clear here. I do not mean roster changes. I mean mistreatment.

That's not what anybody wants. You may not agree. You may never support unless there is a format that you endorse for aims and views. But do not disregard that over 100 people - who have on several hundred occasions made their very specific displeasure known to the Club - are now sufficiently unhappy to take further action just because we aren't issuing brochures.

I am bemused by some of the bile displayed on here, it is not even veiled any more. Most fans are just not posting or cannot be bothered as trench warfare appears to be their only accepted way of moving forward.

The protest appears to be more about an obsession by a couple of people about the owner than it does rational thought. They are so consumed by hatred that they cannot see the wood for the trees and are whipping up support for what appears to be their own personal cause. I'm glad they don't work for the Devils, as I certainly wouldn't have them working for me.