Cardiff Devils Vs Panthers - 30th Nov 7:00pm - Chat and Such

Re: Cardiff Devils Vs Panthers - 30th Nov 7:00pm - Chat and

Slartibartfast said:
Nobody took revenge for the hit on Ben and rightly so in my opinion. We are still a player short so cannot afford to have someone in the box or worse thrown out of the game.
Plumpton was chirping all the way through the game and really wound up some of the Panthers.
When asked to fight, he just smiled at them.
To me this is great discipline not cowardice. We know Plumpton can fight but he chose not to and the result was a 5-0 win.
If Conboy had been able to show this discipline then he might have still been here showing us what a capable player he was.
Despite no fighting, it was still a fairly physical game.
Don't get me wrong, I love to watch a good scrap but I would rather watch a good win and I did last night.
Well done Devils
Completely agree - thought that Plumton played a fantastic game winding up Salters and Punchbag.
With the score are 1-0, you always felt that the Panthers could get back into the game. The second half of the second period was exquisite. Three goals in about 7 minutes really turned the knife (with only one on the Powerplay). The PK unit saw a fair bit of action, and looked very composed.
DLC. - Fantastic shut out, well chuffed for him.
As for the Jensen hit, I do hope that the Devils ask for a review. It was totally unnecessary, late, to the head, clearly off his feet - you simply know that if it was the other way round, the Panthers would be asking for a review and with the number of appearances in Hanson's book of naughty boys the Devils would be in for an extended period playing with less than a full quota of imports.
Fingers crossed for tonight - would very much like the same result, but think the Panthers will probably take the points in their own barn
They have two import D returning, a larger ice pad they are more accustomed to, and will have a sizeable home crowd to cheer them on. Corey will be demanding some new sexy Neilsen Hockey from them tonight. Heart says Devils win, Head says Panthers win (shut up Head!!)

Martynwo

Fair request if it was about security etc, but that wasn't the problem...the problem was no one thought of unlocking them at the end of the game, it was bedlam.

Great game, great work ethic from the players.

A

Anonymous

You must be crazy to think its ok for any person to hit our young Brits around not be punished!
Player short or not.
Even if plumton or marsh goes over and has a word something has to be done.
It's there job to look after Ben jones piggot etc.

What u are saying is let everyone push us round it don't matter we can't afford to sit in the box?
Bullshit

Chris

Administrator

Finny said:
Missed the last two games, and we've won them both.
I'm a bit worried about going next week now!
James and Skippy are looking for someone new to label as the jinx... ;)

As for the payback on Jensen, maybe something will happen tonight, someone has already mentioned on here that no one seemed to be watching him go down so who knows if they saw it or not.

Whilst it would be nice to see our players stand up for one another, i'm a bit wary of actually wanting it to happen because of the inevitable ban that will be heading our way :(

That Jensen was only called 2mins for interference would suggest whoever of our players launched a few at him would be looking at a minimum of 2+10+5, if not a game or match penalty similar to the Conboy and Keefe incident for excessive roughing or whatever the penalty generator made up for that one...

Skippy

Thread starter #45

Chris said:
James and Skippy are looking for someone new to label as the jinx... ;)
How many games did you see Bissonette play again Jinxy :grin:

Zack Kassian said:
You must be crazy to think its ok for any person to hit our young Brits around not be punished!
Player short or not.
Even if plumton or marsh goes over and has a word something has to be done.
It's there job to look after Ben jones piggot etc.

What u are saying is let everyone push us round it don't matter we can't afford to sit in the box?
Bullshit
No I'm not crazy, I just have a different opinion from yours.

Jensen's check was petulant. The Panthers were losing 4-0 at the time, and whilst his 2 minute call didn't result in a Powerplay goal for the Devils, the Devils built up enough momentum during that Powerplay to light the lamp for the 5th time some 6 seconds after the Jensen penalty expired.

As has been stated by other posts, the incident happened very quickly, and it is questionable whether the other players on Ben's line realised the severity of the incident (at the time). It is only after having had the benefit of watching several TV replays from different angles that most people have fully appreciated how poor the check was.

Dean Smith (arguably the best referee in the Elite League called it for what he saw - as 2 minutes interference). He doesn't have the benefit of TV replays, and in order to eradicate the thuggish nature of incidents like Jensen's check last night, we have to put our "faith" in the judicial system that exists to deal with incidents like this - which I why I think it would be a worthwhile exercise to have the matter reviewed (but I don't have to stump up the money to do so).

I am fairly confident that if the matter was the other way round, the Panthers would be asking for it to be reviewed, and we would quite possibly end up playing more games than we currently are having to play, without our full quota of imports.

This season we have dominated many games, and the allowed opponents back into the game by taking the laws into our own hands, and suffering short-handed as a result - you will have seen many games where the person retaliating gets treated (by the disciplinary panel) far worse than the perpetrator. Last night the Devils discipline was good and the team as a collective played extremely well.

I am confident that if a situation happens during a game that warrants one of our big guys to have a word, then the appropriate players will step up - these guys are professionals and know their roles within the game.

tigertemme

Cant seem to upload a still, albeit blurry, its on twitter @tigertemme clearly shows elbow contact with head

Wannabe2

Great game by the lads last night, talking to a Panthers fan after the game he seemed to think we didnt play brilliantly, but that they were poor, myself I think we played so well, we made them look poor, after all 5 goals and hitting the post 3 times it could have been 8 to zip. Lacosta is now showing us why he was signed, and that our coaching team wasnt too bothered about losing Doyle, he had a blinder. This team is now showing us what they are all about, great display by each and everyone of our imports, but jesus how good are our Brits. It was a true pleasure to watch this team last night, thank you to each and everyone of you. Play like this lads and you need to fear no bugger, thanks again.

BostonBart22

well after 3 fantastic wins on the bounce, 13 goals scored 2 against, credit must go not only to this bunch of players but brent and that lucky hat, hope he got it with him today, ideal xmas present trilby with devils logo on it, :lol:

Looks like we did ask for a review and the discipline panel agree that Jensen's late hit deserves suspension - 3 games, the first of which is tonight's game.

Judging by the first few minutes of tonight's game, the Panthers are looking for retribution, but the Devils have just scored on a Powerplay - Max from Ben and Mac .

It says on the match summary for this game on the Elite League site:
"Max Birbraer of Cardiff scored his 400th EIHL career point when assisting on his teams 3rd goal"
Didn't hear this mentioned during the game - seems like we should honour this achievement it in some way...?

Temme

ice pie said:
"Max Birbraer of Cardiff scored his 400th EIHL career point when assisting on his teams 3rd goal"
Didn't hear this mentioned during the game - seems like we should honour this achievement it in some way...?
According to EP he only has 373 :S
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15090

Can't find the button to look at it on the EIHL website (all time points)

James

Administrator

Elite Prospects only looks at league not cup perhaps ? would be nice to do something for it, that's a lot of points.

Temme said:
ice pie said:
According to EP he only has 373 :S
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15090

Can't find the button to look at it on the EIHL website (all time points)
His post season stats are shown if you look properly to the right. He has 22 points making 395. It appears the w/end stats aren't updated as yet which I believe totalled 5 hence 400 points.