Cardiff Devils v Coventry Blaze - Tue 27 Dec 2016 - FO 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

jimmy snels

Bordy changed that game. He energied the crowd who yet again had been subjected to boring play and no physicality. The crowd were 100 % showing their frustration at lord and it was well deserved. When bordeleau FINALLY took a shift in the second there were sarcastic cheers in Lords direction all around me. He then comes out makes a hit and we score. Third period is how we should and expect to see a devils team play. There was pride to see out there.

Take a bow Patrick Bordeleau....
After playing like a bunch of pussies for 2 periods, where Bordy was unforgivably stifled physically, he took that game by the scruff of the neck in the 3rd when we were 2 goals down. 2 or 3 unbelievable shifts where he caused havoc, hit everything that moved, created scoring chances for himself and his line mates and energised his team and the building - and swung the momentum of the game decisively. That's why he's here and he should be given free reign to do that whenever he likes. His frustration with Lord was there for all to see in the second and for the first time, I sensed some disquiet in the crowd as to the direction that Lord is taking this team. I love the way Lord plays but he's so conservative as a coach, almost afraid to let his team off the leash. I hope Lord took a clear message from the revitalised crowd in the 3rd - that's how we want to see this team play. When we play like that, nobody in this league can live with us.
Excellent post that sums up a lot of people's opinion,

Ocko

The exchange happened after the Blaze 3rd. Straight after the goal Klotz took a shift Bordy seen it so went out as well. Lord shouts calling him back, Bordy shouts something like 'I'm doing my f****** job', Lord pulls him off, cue a bit more of an exchange and Bordy goes ape and punches the glass between the teams.

He didn't get benched or anything and took a shift just after and had an assist. He then asked Lord if he could go again and Lord appeated to give him permission this time but Klotz declined.

august04

The exchange happened after the Blaze 3rd. Straight after the goal Klotz took a shift Bordy seen it so went out as well. Lord shouts calling him back, Bordy shouts something like 'I'm doing my f****** job', Lord pulls him off, cue a bit more of an exchange and Bordy goes ape and punches the glass between the teams.

He didn't get benched or anything and took a shift just after and had an assist. He then asked Lord if he could go again and Lord appeated to give him permission this time but Klotz declined.
I'm sure there were quite a few shifts before Bordy returned after that exchange with Lord. I was beginning to think he had been benched but then he finally iced - cue the sarcastic cheers from the crowd which jimmy snels mentioned. Maybe Lord then got the message loud and clear.....

Yes, goals win games but momentum creates goals.

Watched on Icetime, Bordy was MOTM by a country mile. Let him take the lead on games from now on and create the type of games that Cardiff Devils play. Skill players will flourish around the havoc he will create

I'm sure there were quite a few shifts before Bordy returned after that exchange with Lord. I was beginning to think he had been benched but then he finally iced - cue the sarcastic cheers from the crowd which jimmy snels mentioned. Maybe Lord then got the message loud and clear.....
Think he didn't ice because in that passage of play I may be wrong but we were on the PP and then 4 on 4. When it went back to 5 on 5 he was back on. For me one worry is doucet and his penalties. We began to get some momentum tonight and he gave away a penalty which they scored from. I won't criticise him tonight as he more than made up for it but he did the same in Nottingham. While we were building momentum he gave away a 2+2 which they scored from. I know with haddad they've spoken and worked with him about silly penalties could we do the same with doucet or is it better him playing with that edge

august04

Think he didn't ice because in that passage of play I may be wrong but we were on the PP and then 4 on 4. When it went back to 5 on 5 he was back on. For me one worry is doucet and his penalties. We began to get some momentum tonight and he gave away a penalty which they scored from. I won't criticise him tonight as he more than made up for it but he did the same in Nottingham. While we were building momentum he gave away a 2+2 which they scored from. I know with haddad they've spoken and worked with him about silly penalties could we do the same with doucet or is it better him playing with that edge
I think you're right but he had iced on special teams throughout the game, certainly on the penalty kill anyway. I was relieved to see him return and I think we scored on that shift too.

Earnie

Without wishing to be disrespectful to Benti but Bordeleau was my man of the match also. He single handedly motivated the team into action after having been restricted by Lord. I have a beautiful view of what goes on at the bench and he was restrained. He was eventually let loose a few minutes before end of second and rest is history.

I think you're right but he had iced on special teams throughout the game, certainly on the penalty kill anyway. I was relieved to see him return and I think we scored on that shift too.
Yes quite right but don't think he has played much on the PP or 4 on 4. Mind you I'd quite like to see him more on the power play, we did score on the shift he returned which I think only raised the atmosphere even more

bb1

Tonight we got out of jail yet again. All because of one man.....PATRICK BORDELEAU.

Like somebody already said after going 3-1 down he was screaming at Lord to let him out and after Lord declined him he punched glass out of pure frustration. He's played at the highest level possible and knows far better than a Lord when the right time to change the game is. Lordo seriously needs to take his head out of his own a#s at times and listen to the players.

After Bordy's shift.....say no more.....complete GAMECHANGER who hits like a train and never take penalties. Both him and Piggott are worth weight in gold. Lord needs to eat some humble pie after tonight.

You'd think he'd have learned from Friday against Manchester yet tonight for 2 periods he had us playing the same uneffective hockey that clearly wasn't working.

I don't mind losing but the manner we go about it at times is sad to watch. We have a guy who has been described by NHL analysts as 'the nuclear option' yet Lord has him playing a Morrissette style game. In front of a packed out arena full of new fans it's a very poor way to sell hockey in Cardiff.

Overall great comeback and huge pat on back to Bordy and sign him up for next season!.....I hope Lord learns from this.

bb1

Imagine if we lost !! F k Me
We nearly did though. It's hard to watch at times esp when we know what the team is capable of. Josh plays his best when he's physical and makes guys skate with heads up.
He like others don't look like they are being allowed to play that way which gives them less impact and effectiveness.

Take a bow Patrick Bordeleau....
After playing like a bunch of pussies for 2 periods, where Bordy was unforgivably stifled physically, he took that game by the scruff of the neck in the 3rd when we were 2 goals down. 2 or 3 unbelievable shifts where he caused havoc, hit everything that moved, created scoring chances for himself and his line mates and energised his team and the building - and swung the momentum of the game decisively. That's why he's here and he should be given free reign to do that whenever he likes. His frustration with Lord was there for all to see in the second and for the first time, I sensed some disquiet in the crowd as to the direction that Lord is taking this team. I love the way Lord plays but he's so conservative as a coach, almost afraid to let his team off the leash. I hope Lord took a clear message from the revitalised crowd in the 3rd - that's how we want to see this team play. When we play like that, nobody in this league can live with us.
Imagine if we lost !! F k Me
We nearly did!!!!

bb1

I loved the way the game panned out tonight. The late comeback made for a thrilling game !
Without a doubt it was a superb 3rd. We just need more of that in the 1st to set the tone. Sometimes leaving it that late won't always work out for us.

Great grit and heart shown by the guys in the end

Agreed Bordy effectively won the game for us! Those hits and the run at Stewart totally swung the momentum and gave every other player a much needed jump to their play! I like Lord but I do feel sometimes he isn't using Bordy to his full potential...after going 3-1 down Klotz ices next shift and you can see Bordy is itching to get on! A fight at this point of the game for me is what fights are about...swinging momentum! As it stands I believe we ice our least physical line and we have a 10 minute spell of dour trap hockey following! Next shift Bordy ices he is pumped...and we score!

Overall In the first I thought we were the better side and second we were poor, no one stank the place out; Bowns made some good stops but let a couple in he'd want back, hotham made a few weak defensive plays and the otherwise solid louis had a disaster on their second goal! I thought Gleason Fournier stood out today as did Doucet and as always Hadad! Although it wasn't productive tonight I think Hadad would suit that top line with Asselin and Martin given time...with mo or Douc they lack maybe someone to win the puck along the boards givimg space...Haddad is possibly our best player at this without giving up much skill wise!

All in all a thrilling game and happy with a 4 point weekend! We need to build on this and inject a consistency to our game; to play every period like the third is sadly unrealistic but the contrasting slump for 15 minutes or what not in the second should be eradicated.
Funny how you mentioned that Hotham made some weak defensive plays and he did but you failed to mention that he had 3 assists in the 3rd period but only got credited for 2. Just a question though, did anyone else make any defensive mistakes or bad passes ? If so, did you mention those mistakes ? Did any forwards make any defensive mistakes or bad passes or is it always the defencemen ?

Slartibartfast

Great game and yet another spirited fight back by the best team in the league. But why do we keep having to fight back. The intensity when we were behind was amazing and showed the Devils at their best but its a dangerous game to play in such a competitive league.But we keep doing it.
People are knocking Lord and crediting the win to Bordy but the line changes worked. Culligans pass to Doucet was amazing as was Doucets finish. Bordy played a big part in the fight back but I think Culligan, Bentivoglio, Doucet and Lord all have to take some credit also.

Devil_Abroad

I believe you are correct as he spoke to Klotz before the face off - guess Klotz declined as they were playing well and ahead. He later spoke to Marquardt too who also declined. Then we see that hit on Jorgensen - it was a 2 in 1 as Jorgensen bounced off the plexi after first contact straight back onto Bordeleau driving through a second time - sheesh what a hit! And he was seeing birds for a good minute. All credit to him for coming back on but not sure he should have been allowed to do that after clearly suffering concussion.

First 10 we were great - even firing shots in from all angels but then we score. Then we go into our shells. Why?

Blaze must be wondering how they lost that game.

What a third period. Please can we play more like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk