Cardiff Devils v Coventry Blaze - Tue 27 Dec 2016 - FO 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Sorry Outsider, I have to agree with DMC here, #24 in my opinion plays too much of a cavalier style, yes he does get a good haul of points but at what cost? +/- is a key stat particularly for a D-man and I too would be keen to see his right now. His lazy passing is all too prevalent and often the cause of offensive zone breakdowns and worse still blue line howlers and unforced giveaways for the opposition to jump onto and pressure us in our zone which in a high percentage of them leads to a goal scored on us. He has a lazy style when moving the puck and if only he would clean that up from his game and concentrate on consistent solid D he would improve not only his own game but also would see us tighten up at the back. Yes there are other players who make mistakes, #20 has had a few, but it is horribly too evident for #24 that needs to be coached out of him.....and quickly!
Defence wins championships.....and right now we have plenty of room to improve here. Concentration on solid D will really help us and will give us more time on the puck offensively .
+/- is the worst stat in hockey. It's a team stat that's pinned on a individual player. For example, if Ben Bowns gives up a bad goal, the 5 players on the ice are given a minus. If 4 players do their job and 1 doesn't then the 4 that did their job get a minus. If a center man loses a faceoff and the other team scores all get minues. I think you get my point. There might be the odd time that a coach may use the stat but a coach also knows his team and who he can trust in crucial points in a game. Last point, most good teams all have + players and all bad teams most players would be a - . Just a fact. Many times a player will switch teams, coming from a bad team that he's a minus on and go to a good team where he immediately becomes a + player. Does Hotham do anything right ? He was voted , by the league GM's btw as the best defenceman in the league 2 years running and as well was a finalist for league MVP 2 years running . Are there some issues ? Absolutely but lets look at his ice time, he arguably plays more than any player in the league and maybe it's wise to manage his ice better. He also does a lot of good things under pressure that you evidently don't see. I agree there are some negatives, but there are many positives as well. I guess you didn't see his 3 assists in the 3rd period the other night against Coventry did you or did you just conveniently forget that ? I would argue that if Lord said to him that he wants him the play just defence, he could do that with no problem but he adds a lot to the offense to the team. More to say but I think you get my point