Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants - Sat 14 Jan 2017 - League - FO 7pm

ASHIPP

No co-incidence that our early league success was due to a heavy away schedule. Strongest road record in a long time.

I genuinely think that the pressure of staying top could be a factor (subconsciously) in the Devils'recent performances, particularly in front of the home crowd.

They are professionals and this is 'the business end' of the season but there doesn't look like a lot of fun out there in warm-ups or game time.

The guys look mentally exhausted....add to that the physical exhaustion of the bench being shortened. Can't imagine guys getting fewer shifts when they desrve more (unless they arre injured) can do much for their motivation.

It's as much about managing the fatigue levels and mental wellbeing of the players as it is having a winning gameplan. That can't be an easy task.

Last edited:

James

Administrator
I noticed Nickerson was a lot more in peoples faces in this game compared with Belfast's last visit. Did Bordy's presence in the last game keep him quiet or was he managing an injury of some kind? Or was it simply just a different game plan?
He wasn't anywhere near as much as I expected him to be though. I think this was largely down to the good play by Louis showing him we wouldn't stand for it. We needed to show Belfast that we wouldn't roll over and although I agree we were to some extent bullied out of the game later, it wasn't the dominating Belfast performance we have seen in the past.

bb1

Why do you think Rutherford is a superb player, who knows where the net is, now he has only played 22 games, but here's some comparisons.
Rutherford pl 22 goals 6 ass 9 = 15pts playing for a top team
Aimeda pl 21. goals 7 ass 18 = 25pts in a bottom 3 team
Lawrence pl 23. goals 11 ass 13 =24 pts
Ty Siner pl 21. goals 8 ass 15 = 23 pts bottom 3 team
Shultz pl 20. goals 9 ass 12 = 21 pts
Staal pl 23. goals 10 ass10 = 20 pts bottom team
So sorry but I have to disagree on this one, one thing he is though and very good at it, he is a rink rat, a cheap shot, and a Lloyd clone.
I'm sorry but Rutherford is a very good hockey player. He scored 14 goals in 25 games for the Caps. Yes he's dirty, gritty but does a great job IMO.

Yes he's scored 6 goals and 9 assists in 22 games. So statistically Myers must be worse as he's scored 6 goals and 4 assists in 35 games!!!!! On a no1 team.
Obviously points don't tell the full story. He's got many dimensions to his game as much as I don't like him

Wannabe2

Rutherford goals for the Caps would have been mainly in the easier conference, comparing a import to a British player is a little clutching at straws.

KaneDevils

Ocko - "We have to get players going again, one big signing won't fix that."

Depends who was signed. The right player, big name, big character, could have a huge impact. Like Weller years ago, or like Williams at the Panthers. Being this close to the title, and after missing out marginally in recent seasons, I'd go for the jugular, funds permitting.

I doubt morisette or anyone else is injured otherwise lord would be playing, surely? Ulmer hasn't been playing well, points can be misleading, more so assists. He doesn't deserve to be playing every game. Morisette and benti too, maybe for slightly different reasons. A few games scratched could do either of them some good, clear their heads or whatever.

august04

I doubt morisette or anyone else is injured otherwise lord would be playing, surely?
Unless Lord is carrying an injury too that we don't know about?
He hasn't been afraid to drop someone and play himself before so it's strange that he's behind the bench permanently now in a period during which we're not playing well.

KaneDevils

Unless Lord is carrying an injury too that we don't know about?
He hasn't been afraid to drop someone and play himself before so it's strange that he's behind the bench permanently now in a period during which we're not playing well.
Good point, yeah. I had assumed he benched himself to gain a coach's perspective.

terry hunt

I think the mods should stop this thread.
We have given Lordo and the team loads of advice,abuse,suggestions on lines and tactic changes.We have even told him which players to change and new ones to recruit.They will need time now to absorb all this or ignore it.
We should now be telling them how to win the next 2 games against the Blaze and Steelers because they are going to need all our support.

Electro

We should now be telling them how to win the next 2 games against the Blaze and Steelers because they are going to need all our support.
If their reading this:

1) Ignore Lord.
2) Put black disc in net.
3) Let Bordy loose.
4) Speed up.
5) Don't get penalties or injured.
6) £10,000 for 3 or more goals. (Removed if opposition win)
7) Special night of ladies (women with low morals) at one of Londons finest hotel suites.
8) Cuddly toy.
9) Dominos for a month.
10) Play off tickets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk