Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants - Sat 14 Jan 2017 - League - FO 7pm

I don't understand when Lord says shortening the bench recently has been working for us, our last 3 games have been 2 overtime losses at home and going all the way to penalties with Braehead, that to me doesn't say it's working

A point against Belfast is not the end of the world.In fact I expect they felt they needed to win in regulation to put pressure on us. All I can say about Lord is get off his back guy's, we are sitting top of the League top of the Conference and in the quarter finals of the Challenge Cup. He has to take some credit for that. For those of you wondering why CJ and Piggsy are not getting more ice time open your eyes.They are not up to standard. I doubt there is not one club in the League who wouldn't want to be in the position we find ourselves.
Just noticed we are now second in the conference a point behind with 2 games in hand.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Lordo is caught between a rock and a hard place because he has a small group amongst his forwards who are not performing for whatever reason - lack of confidence, injury etc.

It's natural reaction to utilise the most productive players to get a result. Problem is, the 'go to' guys are being overplayed in so many different situations that they are completely exhausted by p3/overtime and that must affect their effectiveness and concentration.

Whatever style of play/game plan the team use to accomodate underperforming players comes with a risk:
a) Trap hockey style/defence first leads to tight results, relying on clinical finishing whhen the rare chance to score presents itself.
b) Utlise the goalscoring defencemen more means they play deep and possibly risk of out of position. Other players on the ice would have to be defensively smart, covering positions.
c) Bring in new player? Would have to be something special to hit the ground running and make a real impact at this stage.

Lordo might decide to play himself for a while - an excellent player still and would galvanise as a leader.

Wonder whether or not Mo needs to be relieved (maybe temporarily) of the captaincy to give him time to regain his attacking game. There are several others to carry the mantle.

Easy as an armchair coach to run a team! Would imagine trying to galvanise a team battling to remain at the top is as pressurised as those in 9th/10th place.

A point against Belfast is not the end of the world.In fact I expect they felt they needed to win in regulation to put pressure on us. All I can say about Lord is get off his back guy's, we are sitting top of the League top of the Conference and in the quarter finals of the Challenge Cup. He has to take some credit for that. For those of you wondering why CJ and Piggsy are not getting more ice time open your eyes.They are not up to standard. I doubt there is not one club in the League who wouldn't want to be in the position we find ourselves.
Just because we're top of the league doesn't mean there aren't any issues with the team, Lord even points that out in his own interviews every week.

If cj and Piggott are not up to standard, why are they not up to standard? I'll say it again, why can't they be drilled into being a pk unit? Or is all the time in training geared towards getting Hotham and martins fitness up so they can both play 58 minutes a night

I am normally very positive but for me tonight, Ulmer was utter gash. Inexcusable. I dont mind a bad performance but I dont excuse lack of effort and thats what I saw tonight. I hate gassing players but Ulmer is the 1 player that deserves it
Don't disagree as much as it pains me to call a player out when they are in the bottom of a trough, but we are really missing Lordo's energy and commitment, and on-ice leadership.

matbur

Wasn't at the game last night nor did I watch the webcast, but I have caught up on the highlights and Lord's post-match interview.

These are the sort of challenges that ANY team goes through in a championship winning season. The fact we're going through it doesn't spell the end, it just needs Lord and his coaching staff to manage the side through this in the best way possible whether that's tactically, man management of his players or adding a new player to his group.

Yes, we're on a bit of a wobble and there are one or two signs showing that we have some vulnerabilities, but the fact is we ARE the best team in the EIHL and that's for a reason.

voth26

Give them a day off go bloody carting or paintballing or something to get the fun back in their minds and bodies because not one player is looking like their enjoying their hockey at this moment in time including Lord. This is the business end now it gets really serious, so maybe a day of fun might do them good. Just a thought

Gospel

There is no doubt that we have a very talented group of guys when they are at the top of their game, sadly some of guys are nowhere that level right now. Whilst we are still top of the league right now, over the past weeks performances have been going down instead of up. Thats just the same as the previous 2 season when we havent won the league.

The league is won by the best team over the course of the season, we were that team at the start of the season but right now its Belfast & Shuff.

Being at the top now means absolute nothing. Being top of the league for most of the season counts for nothing also. Trying to paper over the cracks that there are in the team right now isnt going to help.

Lord mentions the 'passengers' we have the question is whats he & the management going to do about it in such a short space of time. We need an instant spark if its a new player. If its trying to reinvigorate a current player is there enough time? Whatever the decison is, it will decide the league title.

ASHIPP

There is no doubt that we have a very talented group of guys when they are at the top of their game, sadly some of guys are nowhere that level right now. Whilst we are still top of the league right now, over the past weeks performances have been going down instead of up. Thats just the same as the previous 2 season when we havent won the league.

The league is won by the best team over the course of the season, we were that team at the start of the season but right now its Belfast & Shuff.

Being at the top now means absolute nothing. Being top of the league for most of the season counts for nothing also. Trying to paper over the cracks that there are in the team right now isnt going to help.

Lord mentions the 'passengers' we have the question is whats he & the management going to do about it in such a short space of time. We need an instant spark if its a new player. If its trying to reinvigorate a current player is there enough time? Whatever the decison is, it will decide the league title.
Wow....not sure it will decide the league title because no-one can foresee the results of all the remaining games.

But, we have slipped as leaders in the Erhardt Conference and the club won't be happy with that...another potential trophy which the Devils won last year.

To stay in the mix and stop any further sliding, if any decisions/changes are going to happen, it will be soon because of time.

BostonBart22

Wow how can bordy get a ban and Fournier get 2mins lol?? Terrible hit...

I said devils need to make a change or two a few weeks back and if not we will fall short again. Ulmer terribly disappointed from him.
wouldnt be surprised if giants ask for the hit to be reviewed by dops... even the commentator said it was bad...match ban looming

rocketbob

As far as passengers go. Maybe the passenger's should do what passengers are best at. Sitting down.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

backrow

The Devils have a very talented and deep team. If, on a given night, one of the top 2 lines and top 7 Power Play forwards is having an off night, I don't understand not replacing them to try to energize play and production. It doesn't have to be permanent, just an in game change.
The Devils Power Play in the last 8 games has been successful only 6 out of 35 opportunities.

osh

Just watched Lords interview, very difficult immediately after a game, but what he had to say didn't inspire me with any confidence in his decision making whatsoever. He mentions passengers 'tonight', Andrew, we have been carrying passengers for quite a number of weeks, we can see it, so can you, admit it and do something about it before it's too late.
He mentioned 'credit to Belfast', 'their 12 forwards worked so hard 'etc. What did we do, we certainly didn't go with 12 forwards ( or our full quota of forwards) to match their work ethic. He said he wanted to go with pace and intensity throughout the game, you can't do that when you shorten your bench for gods sake, you have to use every player you have to conserve the energy of your higher line players. Can't see this being allowed to continue for much longer, he may have 'a great bunch of guys', nice guys don't always win the big trophies as we've proven over the years. First thing to do is put himself back on the ice, we could well do with him as I see Culligan playing D next week as Fournier probably won't be playing.

rocketbob

Lordo needs to be on the ice. Ulmer needs to be on the bench and Brine needs more playing time. Also as said above, what is the use of Piggsy and CJ if you don't play them.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

JT666

Genuine question. Can anyone think of any unattached players out there who could come in and give us the kick we seem to need?

Justtw

It PAINS me every game to see Piggsy getting about 5 minutes of house time and Cully getting more but still not enough. Cully has a fucking cracking chance in his short time on the ice. I'd rather see Lordo wearing our jersey than wearing a shirt. I know hating on Lordo is a crime, I think he's an incredibly talented player and coach but last night had 3 maybe 4 players truly play their hearts out... And it's not enough.

Justtw

Another genuine question, does anyone actually care where we finish in the Conference? I rarely check the standings.
I'm not even incredibly bothered about the Challenge Cup, I want the league this year, but the way we're going, it's going to be a repeat of last season.

august04

Another genuine question, does anyone actually care where we finish in the Conference? I rarely check the standings.
The Erhardt conference title is meaningless for the big boys in there, it's all about the league and I never check the conference standings. I can see the conference meaning more for the Gardiner teams. While everything revolves around the league title that won't change. If they ever did away with the league title and had a more credible play off series which became the main prize, then I can see there being more kudos in winning the conference then (but even then it would be secondary).