Cardiff Devils v Belfast Giants - Sat 14 Jan 2017 - League - FO 7pm

osh

Time for Lord to make changes, no doubt about that. What he changes I don't really know. It could be dropping a player and icing himself or - as I have been saying for weeks - time to gas a player and bring in someone who can provide the team with fresh impetus and start to believe in themselves once again. Bentivoglio would be the player I would choose to go, however, based on the last couple of games, it could be any one of 3 or 4 players. Bentivoglio is lacking confidence despite trying hard. Tonight he had a good few opportunities to shoot and chose to pass instead when he was actually better positioned than the player he passed to, a sure sign he is off form and lacking confidence in himself. Unless we bring in someone new in order to give the team a boost, we will end up as also rans. Finally, Belfast were better than us tonight and deserved to win, we were lucky to get the one point.

jenks33

To be honest I don't think we did much wrong tonight. Biggest thing for me - not clinical enough. I've said for a while now we need a sniper. Somebody that can score a goal out of nothing. For me Martin, Asselin and Bentivoglio are playmakers and doucet isn't consistent enough. We need more out of Ulmer and Morissette. At least Morissette gives us the blocks shots though...how good is haddad? I thought he was brilliant in his first season, poor last year and average in the first couple of months of this season. He's been excellent lately though. Such a handful tonight

backrow

I agree that theoretically, the players on the Power Play are probably the right players but if some of them are not playing well wouldn't some changes on the Power Play be a good wake-up call?

DevilDom

Entertaining game which could have gone either way but for me for the 2nd game running at home we ran out of steam and Giants finished the stronger.

I agree with what many others have already said but too many players are not pulling their weight at the moment and as a result our go to guys are being flogged and this ultimately affecting their game. In the end the fact Giants played 4 full lines and were very physical tired Devils 3 - 3 1/2 lines out.

Hate to be negative when it's still in our hands but unfortunately as other teams are hitting full speed we are flagging. We are really missing some X factor amongst the forwards. I continue to be disappointed with Ulmer and too a lessor extent Benti but too many of the other forwards are not playing at their best either.

As it stands, it pains me to say it but I think Steelers will win the league again.

ASHIPP

Can't believe someone said Joey Haddad has been average for part of this season! He is playing some of the best hockey on the team. If you could name one guy who epitomises 'playing for the jersey', it's him. Fantastic chemistry with Matthew Myers who was excellent tonight. Culli and David Brine again didn't get many shifts...what happened to keeping it fast and fresh and playing all the bench? Cj and Piggsie the odd shift?Are they taking precautions with these guys because of injuries?

jenks33

Can't believe someone said Joey Haddad has been average for part of this season! He is playing some of the best hockey on the team. If you could name one guy who epitomises 'playing for the jersey', it's him. Fantastic chemistry with Matthew Myers who was excellent tonight. Culli and David Brine again didn't get many shifts...what happened to keeping it fast and fresh and playing all the bench? Cj and Piggsie the odd shift?Are they taking precautions with these guys because of injuries?
Haddad was my favourite player in his first season. I thought he was a liability last season (Silly penalty after silly penalty) and I thought he was average early on this season. Last two months though he's been outstanding. Our best player in my opinion

When I watched this in the pre season I rubbed my hands together. I'm growing increasingly disappointed with ulmer as myself and pretty sure every Devils fan expected more. Maybe Lordo feels the same as at the start of the interview ulmer is described as an unbelievable replacement for Russell..........

jenks33

When I watched this in the pre season I rubbed my hands together. I'm growing increasingly disappointed with ulmer as myself and pretty sure every Devils fan expected more. Maybe Lordo feels the same as at the start of the interview ulmer is described as an unbelievable replacement for Russell..........
What frustrates me about the fans that constantly stick up for Ulmer and Bentivoglio is that both of them have stated in interviews on icetime TV that they are disappointed with their points production. I haven't been disappointed with their effort, just disappointed with how average they've been in front of goal. People have pointed out that they've done OK, yes but they've had good ice time and good ice time on the power play. Plus they're playing for a bloody good team

Welshy74

What frustrates me about the fans that constantly stick up for Ulmer and Bentivoglio is that both of them have stated in interviews on icetime TV that they are disappointed with their points production. I haven't been disappointed with their effort, just disappointed with how average they've been in front of goal. People have pointed out that they've done OK, yes but they've had good ice time and good ice time on the power play. Plus they're playing for a bloody good team
3rd and 5th in scoring and we are talking of gassing them????

jenks33

3rd and 5th in scoring and we are talking of gassing them????
Didn't say anything about wanting them gassed actually. I'd probably rather us just add another body. I'm sure we've got the money. Plus, I don't think you're argument of 3rd and 5th top scorers is that strong. They play on the top 2 lines so chances are they'd be in the top 6 scorers. Piggott, Jones, bordy, brine shouldn't be ahead of them and culligan has played defence a lot of the time

backrow

I'm pretty sure that the top 6 to 8 scorers are going to be the players that have played the most on the Power Play all year long! Power Play time plus extra ice time is a pretty good formula for getting goals and assists.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great game last night...one of the most enjoyable of the season. You could tell Bordelau wasnt playing as the Giants didnt hold back on the physicality / cheap shots but that meant our whole team had to get stuck in...and pretty much every one of them did. To be honest that's what i like to see and I cant fault hardly anyone's effort last night. We looked tired in the third, which was a shame considering we have no game today, but I was happy with the performance and sometimes it just doesnt go your way in OT. Ive no doubt we're capable of taking both points off the Giants next time.

kristian

Didn't say anything about wanting them gassed actually. I'd probably rather us just add another body. I'm sure we've got the money. Plus, I don't think you're argument of 3rd and 5th top scorers is that strong. They play on the top 2 lines so chances are they'd be in the top 6 scorers. Piggott, Jones, bordy, brine shouldn't be ahead of them and culligan has played defence a lot of the time
Iam fairly new to the game.

So how many can you have in the squad.

If we brought someone in would that mean leaving someone out every game?

If this is the case you what a bit of competition does.

No harm in having a kick up arse sometimes

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

i put this on another thread last week but is there any reason why cj and Piggott couldn't be drilled into a pk unit to save 2 of our top line guys doing it? Joey Martin for instance is having to play regular top line minutes, pp, pk and then if we go to overtime 3 on 3 after all of that.

As for the game I thought it was good to watch until about half way through the second when it felt like the Giants were starting to move up a gear and we didn't quite go with them then for the third it felt like we were hanging on for overtime

kristian

Just watched Lords interview after the game. He talks the talk now is the time to walk the walk. And do in private what he needs to do

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wow how can bordy get a ban and Fournier get 2mins lol?? Terrible hit...

I said devils need to make a change or two a few weeks back and if not we will fall short again. Ulmer terribly disappointed from him.

august04

Shortening the bench like we have been smacks of panic and lack of trust in the players. We will regret doing this down the stretch when we'll have little left in the tank. Have we learned nothing from the past 2 years?

Russky

Just watched the post game interview. Lord is spouting all the usual clichés. To my mind he really isn't looking to bringing himself back into the line up or to get new blood in. Perhaps he has been told that's your roster for this season but I cant believe that the wise men back in Calgary haven't set some funds aside just in case changes need to be made to the roster.