Cardiff Devils PP

Finny

DevilDom said:
Finny said:
Actually the Bissonnette argument doesn't work as in the first 5 games after he left we scored 4 from 22 which is 18.1%. Which bizarrely is exactly the same as our season average.

So all it means is that 2013 is not very good PP wise so far.
It does if you look at the stats at the BBT which originally we were.
No, as for our first two home games after Biz we scored 2 from 11 which is still 18.1%.
18.1% really was the magic number of 2012.

DevilDom

Finny said:
DevilDom said:
Finny said:
Actually the Bissonnette argument doesn't work as in the first 5 games after he left we scored 4 from 22 which is 18.1%. Which bizarrely is exactly the same as our season average.

So all it means is that 2013 is not very good PP wise so far.
It does if you look at the stats at the BBT which originally we were.
No, as for our first two home games after Biz we scored 2 from 11 which is still 18.1%.
18.1% really was the magic number of 2012.
and 0 from 7 from the first 2 home games of 2013. Lets hope 0% isn't the magic number for 2013 :shock:

Paul Sullivan

DevilDom said:
Finny said:
So basically we signed Milam to run our PP and it turned out he was crap.
We released Milam and brought in Bissonnette in his place. And our PP improved.
Bissonnette returned to the NHL and our PP is no longer as good.

That pretty much explains it doesn't it?
Yes pretty much. I'm not sure why people are getting so precious about pointing out the facts though!
Reason I get 'precious' is that quite often people will use anecdotal ('better with Biz' for example) or snapshot stats (just January, just when Biz was here, just when I wore my red jersey etc) to make a point but seem to get precious themselves when the wider view of the season is taken. That's all.

It's like saying our defence scores no goals and only using the stats of Rupert Quiney to back that up.

To analyse something you need to see the whole picture is all I am saying. Of course, trends are noteworthy but it's not the tale of the entire season to date.

DevilDom

I agree but to correctly analyse trends you need to ensure that as many significant variables as possible are taken into account.

The reason I looked at it more closely was because I was surprised when Finny quoted the stat for the season and that we were 3rd best in the league. I'm not disputing those facts I was trying to work out why I and many others thought it was worse than that.

As I said I'm not digging at anyone but the fact remains in recent games our PP has not been very good. I understand some of the underlying reasons behind that, but it remains a fact.

Paul Sullivan

DevilDom said:
I agree but to correctly analyse trends you need to ensure that as many significant variables as possible are taken into account.

The reason I looked at it more closely was because I was surprised when Finny quoted the stat for the season and that we were 3rd best in the league. I'm not disputing those facts I was trying to work out why I and many others thought it was worse than that.

As I said I'm not digging at anyone but the fact remains in recent games our PP has not been very good. I understand some of the underlying reasons behind that, but it remains a fact.
I can tell you why you may think it's not very good. Pretty much every Devils fan I know has thought that for as long as I can remember. Even in the rip-roaring Heineken days, either a) We weren't great on the PP or b) it seemed that way but the concept of the 'powerkill' definitely originated in Cardiff.

All those old buggers you hang around with in Block 3 have probably rubbed that attitude off on you :lol:

DevilDom

Paul Sullivan said:
DevilDom said:

I can tell you why you may think it's not very good. Pretty much every Devils fan I know has thought that for as long as I can remember. Even in the rip-roaring Heineken days, either a) We weren't great on the PP or b) it seemed that way but the concept of the 'powerkill' definitely originated in Cardiff.

All those old buggers you hang around with in Block 3 have probably rubbed that attitude off on you :lol:
LOL yes maybe that's true although i'd like to think I have my own mind!

KaneDevils

As soon as Finny posted originally our PP percentage I questioned how many PP goals we had scored with Biz in the line up, just out of curiosity really. TBH I was suprised we had the 3rd best in the league, pleasantly suprised of course.

What frustrates me isn't the lack of goals, but the way we work the puck on the whole. I certainly don't expect us to score on the PP as others.
i just find it a little ..... dull, and predictable. Players are stationary when they receive a past, a lack of movement for sure. Jut my views.
And before anyone rants, I'm not slagging off the team or the coach, just debating, which I think forums are for .... apparently.

Thread starter #32
Neither am I slagging off the team or the coach but it is an interesting discussion which can lead to forming an opinion. I do agree that taking a longer time period will give more reliable evidence to a trend and various snippets of information has added to my awareness of our PP and PK performances.
However I will say that trying to ridicule reasonable opinion does not enhance an argument. e.g. “It's like saying our defence scores no goals and only using the stats of Rupert Quiney to back that up”

Incidentally when we are on PP I DO expect a goal especially when we are 5 on 3. It’s our best chance. I want my team to score and I shout and cheer to encourage them.

Paul Sullivan

It's not meant as ridiculing. It's extrapolating a partial-stats based argument to highlight an opposing viewpoint. I just think it's disingenuous to represent performance with such a small sampling, hence the Rupe comment. And no offence to him either - just an example.

If I were ridiculing I would dig at those who say 'according to you' to Finny. The official statistician of the club :D

Paul Sullivan

Actually, even though I was making a joke and not implying anything other than the need to lighten the mood a little, I'll imply whatever I like, thanks.

I expect a goal on a 5-on-3 too, I think that's more than reasonable. However if the best clip the NHL guys can muster is around 20% expecting a goal on every powerplay just isn't realistic.

Paul Sullivan said:
Actually, even though I was making a joke and not implying anything other than the need to lighten the mood a little, I'll imply whatever I like, thanks.

I expect a goal on a 5-on-3 too, I think that's more than reasonable. However if the best clip the NHL guys can muster is around 20% expecting a goal on every powerplay just isn't realistic.
They are also playing PP against an NHL defence so if our EIHL guys get 18% against an EIHL defence, it is not a bad return.
I don t think the NHL AHL EIHL whatever should come in to it as they should be playing players of about the same ability

Thread starter #38
I’ve taking quite a slating for expecting a goal when we are on a PP. I wonder if our coach and team share your view. “We are on a PP boys but don’t expect to score it’s unrealistic!” I think our coach is more likely to be far more motivational.
Obviously in reality we will not score every time. But basic sports motivational psychology says you go onto the ice with a numerical advantage and expect to score.
That doesn’t follow that we don’t go to the next game if they didn’t score on PP
Glad to see at least a 5 on 3 is seen as a reasonable expectation for a goal

Paul Sullivan

CornwallTaffy said:
I’ve taking quite a slating for expecting a goal when we are on a PP. I wonder if our coach and team share your view. “We are on a PP boys but don’t expect to score it’s unrealistic!” I think our coach is more likely to be far more motivational.
Obviously in reality we will not score every time. But basic sports motivational psychology says you go onto the ice with a numerical advantage and expect to score.
That doesn’t follow that we don’t go to the next game if they didn’t score on PP
Glad to see at least a 5 on 3 is seen as a reasonable expectation for a goal
I said expecting one on EVERY PP. I think the stats show that expecting one every 5-6 PP's is technically speaking the most we could get.

Thread starter #40
So which one of the 5 or 6 should we expect to score on? The first, the third or the sixth? I would prefer to expect to score on any one of them as I'm sure would the coach and team. Then if we score on all three, Great.
If we don't score on any, we wait til the seventh and expect one then.

Maybe if I use the word HOPE instead of EXPECT
I HOPE we score on every PP.
However motivationally I hope/expect the coach nor team think like that.
Thanks for the debate