Cardiff Devils PP

Thread starter #1
Interesting discussion and stats on our PP in an unrelated thread last 2 weeks.
For info. Stats on this weekends PP

Sheffield Games 2 PP 10 Goals 5
Nottingham Games 1 PP 3 Goals 1
Belfast Games 2 PP 11 Goals 3
Dundee Games 3 PP 8 Goals 2
Fife Games 2 PP 5 Goals 1
Coventry Games 2 PP 12 Goals 2
Hull Games 2 PP 10 Goals 1
Edinburgh Games 2 PP 12 Goals 1
Cardiff Games 2 PP 7 Goals 0
Braehead Games 2 PP 7 Goals 0

Doesn't make for great readng does it...
On the contrary would be interesting to see the penalty kill stats for the last 2 weeks, should paint a different picture.

DevilDom

Its even worse if you consider the stats since Biz left:

- we have scored 4 out of 32 PP chances = 12.5%
- we have not scored a pp goal in our last 5 games

Thread starter #4
daniboy23 said:
On the contrary would be interesting to see the penalty kill stats for the last 2 weeks, should paint a different picture.
Just did this last weekend as follows to match up with PP goals scored:-

Sheffield Games 2 PP Against 5 PK 5 Goals Conceded 0
Nottingham Games 1 PP Against 2 PK 2 Goals Conceded 0
Dundee Games 3 PP Against 15 PK 14 Goals Conceded 1
Coventry Games 2 PP Against 12 PK 10 Goals Conceded 2
Hull Games 2 PP Against 11 PK 9 Goals Conceded 2
Edinburgh Games 2 PP Against 11 PK 9 Goals Conceded 2
Belfast Games 2 PP Against 10 PK 8 Goals Conceded 2
Fife Games 2 PP Against 10 PK 8 Goals Conceded 2
Cardiff Games 2 PP Against 6 PK 4 Goals Conceded 2
Braehead Games 2 PP Against 6 PK 3 Goals Conceded 3

Finny

daniboy23 said:
Just two shorthanded goals conceeded in the last six games.

It does amuse me that people are happy to ignore the stats when it doesn't backup their opinion but pick two games that do............. :lol:

Still, we won tonight so we have to find something to moan about.

Thread starter #6
Don’t see any moaning comments just reference to last week’s interesting PP discussion with additional up to date stats from the weekend following conflicting and confusing season stats supplied in the previous thread.

Good PK stats over last 6 games according to you, which is great and a win against Fife which is also great. However you cannot stick your head in the sand or be critical if someone suggests that they would hope to see an improvement in PP goals. It would obviously improve our chances of winning games.

Earnie

It would be interesting to compare how many overall PP goals scored by our opponents in BBT as compared to Devils goals scored.

(or is it already there and I am too dumb to see it?)

Finny

Earnie said:
It would be interesting to compare how many overall PP goals scored by our opponents in BBT as compared to Devils goals scored.

I think it would be the negative of our PK at home.

So from last weeks stats:
Our PP in BBT: 18 from 83 = 21.7%
Opp PP in BBT: 11 from 84 = 13.1%

So quite a big difference. In fact we've scored 9 SHG at home and conceeded just 2 which makes it even better.

DevilDom

Finny said:
Earnie said:

So quite a big difference. In fact we've scored 9 SHG at home and conceeded just 2 which makes it even better.
Stats Stats glorious stats.

However, our PP in the BBT since Bissonette left is 2 from 18 = 11.2%

I think the figures above are skewed by how much the PP was improved with him in the team.

Paul Sullivan

DevilDom said:
Finny said:
Earnie said:

Stats Stats glorious stats.

However, our PP in the BBT since Bissonette left is 2 from 18 = 11.2%

I think the figures above are skewed by how much the PP was improved with him in the team.
And I heard Craig Weller could break the sound barrier on the breakaway :twisted:

For the people who want to criticise our coaching and PP you simply must look at the whole season, or you (not saying just you here Dom) are the ones being subjective to prove a point.

And I am always amused that it's rarely / never mentioned who got Biz here in the first place.

DevilDom

Paul, it was a great coup by G and Franny to get Bissonette here and I am truely greatful I had the joy in watching him play.

I do however disagree that you have to look at the stats over the whole season when a unusal event like having an NHL player in our ranks occurs.

In the 6 games Biz played at the BBT our PP record was 6 scored from 24 = 25.0%, better than the season average and massively better than the last 4 games at the BBT since he left.

Not having a pop at the coaching though. Just pointing out facts.

Thread starter #12
DevilDom said:
Finny said:
Earnie said:

That puts a brighter light on our PP. Certainly a good record on SHG

Paul Sullivan

DevilDom said:
Paul, it was a great coup by G and Franny to get Bissonette here and I am truely greatful I had the joy in watching him play.

I do however disagree that you have to look at the stats over the whole season when a unusal event like having an NHL player in our ranks occurs.

In the 6 games Biz played at the BBT our PP record was 6 scored from 24 = 25.0%, better than the season average and massively better than the last 4 games at the BBT since he left.

And so was Finny. It's just that it seems funny how surprised some are that our PP was better with an NHLer in it. One who plays on rinks more our size than Nottingham's on a regular basis.

Finny

So basically we signed Milam to run our PP and it turned out he was crap.
We released Milam and brought in Bissonnette in his place. And our PP improved.
Bissonnette returned to the NHL and our PP is no longer as good.

That pretty much explains it doesn't it?

DevilDom

Paul Sullivan said:
DevilDom said:

And so was Finny. It's just that it seems funny how surprised some are that our PP was better with an NHLer in it. One who plays on rinks more our size than Nottingham's on a regular basis.
I'm not surprised at all. However it seems we have not yet managed to work out how to keep our PP at decent conversion rate without him in the team. I'm sure you would agree that 11.2% is not good enough?

Earnie said:

In the 20 home games so far this season ( League and CC ):

Visiting teams: 87 PP 12 goals scored : 13.79% PP
Devils : 88 PP 18 goals scored : 20.45% PP

Visiting teams PP:
Erhardt teams: 54 PP 9 goals scored : 16.67 % PP
Gardiner teams: 33 PP 3 goals scored: 9.09 % PP

Devils:
Devils PP vs Erhardt teams: 52 PP 12 goals scored : 23.08% PP
Devils PP vs Gardiner teams: 36 PP 6 goals scored: 16.67 % PP

Last 10 home games:
Visiting teams: 37 PP 5 goals scored : 13.51% PP
Devils : 46 PP 8 goals scored : 17.39 % PP

DevilDom

Finny said:
So basically we signed Milam to run our PP and it turned out he was crap.
We released Milam and brought in Bissonnette in his place. And our PP improved.
Bissonnette returned to the NHL and our PP is no longer as good.

That pretty much explains it doesn't it?
Yes pretty much. I'm not sure why people are getting so precious about pointing out the facts though!

Finny

Actually the Bissonnette argument doesn't work as in the first 5 games after he left we scored 4 from 22 which is 18.1%. Which bizarrely is exactly the same as our season average.

So all it means is that 2013 is not very good PP wise so far.

In the 5 home games when Bissonnette played, the Devils PP was 21 PP 6 goals: 28.57% PP

In the 4 home games since Bissonnette left, the Devils PP was 20 PP 2 goals: 10%

Overall, for the 15 home games when Bissonnette didn't play, the Devils PP was 67 PP for 12 goals: 17.91 % PP

DevilDom

Finny said:
Actually the Bissonnette argument doesn't work as in the first 5 games after he left we scored 4 from 22 which is 18.1%. Which bizarrely is exactly the same as our season average.

So all it means is that 2013 is not very good PP wise so far.
It does if you look at the stats at the BBT which originally we were.