Cardiff Devils goal music

Paul Sullivan

Gazza272 said:
Paul Sullivan said:
Goal is scored
Horn blasts
Nothing from me - 'GOAL' chant from the fans
Goal music

The would accomplish a few wins, to my thinking: prolongs the celebration / gloating / derision of opposition :twisted: , refreshes the music itself and, most importantly, brigns the fans more and more into the celebrations. Would be great to see a big crowd doing the 'GOAL' chant, and it's a doodle for newbies to pick up too.

Thoughts, folks?
I think initially as a crowd that is going to be very awkward initially. People automatically cheer for a while and it takes a while for the goal chant to surface.

With no music I think a lot of newbies will be confused as to whether a goal has been scored or not. Personally I think it would take too long to condition people to it.

But if we are talking cutting music and letting the fans do something, I have been a big supporter of letting the fans sing the anthem unaccompanied, think it would really kick start some of the bigger games!
From observation, the goal chant has been started prior to the end of the horn over the last season, and by anything from 100 - 500 fans which should be more than enough to kickstart the trend. The horn can easily be extended / faded as necessary.

As with anything new, it would take a little time to gel but I would doubt there would be too much silence following a goal :)

I would prefer to have the crowd singing the anthem also, however that's a bigger gamble as many don't know the words / won't sing the words / can't decide whether we should show the real Welsh or the phonetic words / other*

*delete as applicable :cool:

Happy to give it a go though.

Paul Sullivan

TheStub said:
Like New Jersey....
Not at all predictable there fella :lol:

Yeah looking at a few options for the music aspect. either way whatever we do I fully expect it to surface in Coventry in a few years with the word 'Blue' somehow shoe-horned into the edit :roll:

Gazza272

Paul Sullivan said:
From observation, the goal chant has been started prior to the end of the horn over the last season, and by anything from 100 - 500 fans which should be more than enough to kickstart the trend. The horn can easily be extended / faded as necessary.

As with anything new, it would take a little time to gel but I would doubt there would be too much silence following a goal :)

I would prefer to have the crowd singing the anthem also, however that's a bigger gamble as many don't know the words / won't sing the words / can't decide whether we should show the real Welsh or the phonetic words / other*

I'm suprised you got more reservations about the Anthem than a whole new goal procedure. Although It's always worth a go trying something new! My personal preferance is some goal music though, always liked it, and i dont have much problem with Blur either in all honesty.

Fans never seem to have any problems singing the anthem at playoffs, I think you would be pleasantly suprised at the result :)

Paul Sullivan

Gazza272 said:
Paul Sullivan said:

I'm suprised you got more reservations about the Anthem than a whole new goal procedure. Although It's always worth a go trying something new! My personal preferance is some goal music though, always liked it, and i dont have much problem with Blur either in all honesty.

Fans never seem to have any problems singing the anthem at playoffs, I think you would be pleasantly suprised at the result :)
Err, I didn't say I had reservations about it. I said I would be happy to give it a go. What I said was it's a bigger gamble, and the reasoning is simple:

After a goal there will ALWAYS be noise. It's a guarantee. I think the last thing the fans - and certainly players - would want is 'And now we invite you to sing the Welsh National Anthem' - and nothing happens.

The other issue with the Anthem is that it needs a 'cue point'. If it is just handed over to 2000 (hopefully) people, there's no starting marker and the possibility of it going screwy is much higher.

I absolutely would love to have fans sing it. Perhaps a compromise would be the 'Oh Canada' format from Ottawa and some others - start the Anthem (verse) on the PA and kill the music for the chorus.

That I think is most likely to work.

Personal favourite would be for a siren linking into the already used Nickelback "Burn it To The Ground" for crowd participation.

If it was more used for pumping up the crowd you could look at Civil War or Welcome to the Jungle by GnR or Motorcycle Driver by Satriani

I think one of the reasons that not everyone gets behind the Blur song is that the drummers and trying to start the clap clap goal chant at the same time so you have two groups of fans clapping totally different rhythms. Personally I can't stand the clap clap goal sound as it's annoyingly stating the obvious and is dull.
I don't mind sandstorm by Darude (was that what they used for us last year in the Final against Nottingham - not sure if it was used this year in the semi final which I didn't see).
Might be worth fans and the club doing a bit of research to make a change.

Skippy

Glover said:
I don't mind sandstorm by Darude (was that what they used for us last year in the Final against Nottingham - not sure if it was used this year in the semi final which I didn't see).
Is that the Sheffield Woosh its Behind you song ?

Finny

Reach by S Club 7 would fit perfectly and I doubt Hubbs would have any problem with that. In fact I'm sure he would be happy to lead the goal celebration dance routine.

For fights it needs to be 'Fisticuffs' or 'the Fight Song' by the Supersuckers for me. No-one will know them, but they'll soon pick them up. And they'll be ours!

ASHIPP

Glover said:
I think one of the reasons that not everyone gets behind the Blur song is that the drummers and trying to start the clap clap goal chant at the same time so you have two groups of fans clapping totally different rhythms. Personally I can't stand the clap clap goal sound as it's annoyingly stating the obvious and is dull.
Although a good tune, might be regarded as a bad omen by some Devils' fans......our team lost in that final.

Paul Sullivan said:
Gazza272 said:
Paul Sullivan said:

The other issue with the Anthem is that it needs a 'cue point'. If it is just handed over to 2000 (hopefully) people, there's no starting marker and the possibility of it going screwy is much higher.

I absolutely would love to have fans sing it. Perhaps a compromise would be the 'Oh Canada' format from Ottawa and some others - start the Anthem (verse) on the PA and kill the music for the chorus.

That I think is most likely to work.
In our block at least, people seem more encouraged to sing along with the anthem when it is sung live, by you, rather than with the backing track...

ASHIPP said:
Glover said:
Although a good tune, might be regarded as a bad omen by some Devils' fans......our team lost in that final.
This is true but are that superstitious? Can easily change it if it looks like it's jinxing us. Out of interest what did the NIC play for our goals against Belfast? - I only went up for the final and sadly didn't get to hear any goal celebration music.

We could probably pilfer some music ideas from the wrestling (WWF or whatever it's called now) - pausing on it last week while channel surfing, I noticed they also use 'Burn it to the ground', and they are obviously aiming for a similar, 'pumped up' vibe...

dave

Finny said:
Reach by S Club 7 would fit perfectly and I doubt Hubbs would have any problem with that. In fact I'm sure he would be happy to lead the goal celebration dance routine.
:D on it!! Can just see the look on Pauls face as I land center ice!!