Cardiff Devils forced to wait for new home

James

Administrator
Re: Encouraging

El Supremo said:
This news article seems to say that CCC are still aiming to have our replacement ready within the planned 5 year timeframe (i.e. 2.5 - 3 years left). The echo reported that our new home is several years away. Now to me several is more than three - to me this whole thing is a bit contradictory.
One is first hand evidence, one is second or even third hand.

Koop11

This report on the Councils website is encouraging news given that it recently announced officially that the arena will see massive delays (hardly surprising).

This could hopefully be the blessing is disguise though. Maybe this opens the way for much needed investment into the tent and maybe the eventual permanent structure will be not as large as first thought. Having said that, the whole point of the CCC building a new arena is to upgrade our current facility of the CIA and compete with other major cities. Be interesting to see how this one pans out but I’m certainly not holding my breathe.

Koop11 said:
This report on the Councils website is encouraging news given that it recently announced officially that the arena will see massive delays (hardly surprising).

This could hopefully be the blessing is disguise though. Maybe this opens the way for much needed investment into the tent and maybe the eventual permanent structure will be not as large as first thought. Having said that, the whole point of the CCC building a new arena is to upgrade our current facility of the CIA and compete with other major cities. Be interesting to see how this one pans out but I’m certainly not holding my breathe.
I think it's probably too early to tell what the developers intentions are at this stage. However, this letest pr does suggest that the council are committed to their commitment to provide a rink within 5 years (now just under 3).

I believe this agreement was based on a place that the Devils can play out of that also can be used by the skating community. (I'm sure wannabe can clarify this) ie not an arena.

The 2nd rink was due to be built as part of the snow box. As 'a rink' is now the number one priority for the sports village, perhaps the rink can be built and then the rest of the snow box, built around it when the funds are available?

TheStub

Ok, I'm brining a topic back from death - but I fancied it.

I was watching that "It isn't easy being green" the other day, and they had a guy building a saw mill out of bales of hay. Perhaps that could be a good way to clad the rink. After all, extending the current structure only requires a knife and some 2x4 ;)

So, fill in the frame work with bales, and render it. It would then be sound proof, wind proof and insulated. Plus, it is far cheaper than other methods of construction. I think you can even get grants for doing that sort of thing.

We can be the house of straw :lol:

Personally, I would prefer a smaller rink to an arena we can't fill. Nottingham and Sheffield only have decent atmosphere when they play each other - there is no go in the place. If I were Sheffield, I would look at a permenant move to Ice Sheffield. Decent rink, and a great atmosphere - they go from just breaking even to a decent profit on all Ice Sheffield games too.

Mind you, for all we slag off the tent, worst rink in the league has got to be Hull (or is that 'ull). Hull Arena? it seat about 6, and of the 3 seats that are taken they are all mute. No atmosphere at all. There is more noise from the kids queuing for the Ice Disco after the match than the game itself. Although, usually it is only injured players, players families (hello to the Towes) and a few brave fans (normally me and the girlfriend, as it is 20 minutes from home). So, if you want to ask Silver about his hand, come to Hull and sit next to him :lol: