Cardiff Devils forced to wait for new home

We all knew at the time when they said 'tempory' that we would be looking at long term, but having visited most of the other rinks in the south I would say our 'little tent' is not as bad as some (desperately in need of TLC and very bad sightlines)
1-There is space to expand at block 1 end for hospitality!
2-I'm sure they will figure out something about the stairs!
3-replace the tarpaulin with proper walls!
and we should be able to weather the economic storm and hopefully look foward a new arena (as promised)

Hockey Mum said:
We all knew at the time when they said 'tempory' that we would be looking at long term, but having visited most of the other rinks in the south I would say our 'little tent' is not as bad as some (desperately in need of TLC and very bad sightlines)
1-There is space to expand at block 1 end for hospitality!
2-I'm sure they will figure out something about the stairs!
3-replace the tarpaulin with proper walls!
and we should be able to weather the economic storm and hopefully look foward a new arena (as promised)
Our rink is a palace compared to 95% of the other rinks out there. event though most arent running elite league hockey out them. they are usually atleast EPL level and are absolutely rubbish rinks. solihul and oxford dont even have plexiglass they have nets. Swindon doesnt have sinbins. The ice in bracknell is the softest ice ive eveer played on. there isnt much wrong with basingstoke but the ice isnt very nice and they have a really low seating capacity. Milten Keynes has no penatly boxes and no real benchs. The ice in whitley bay has ridges all over it and the players have to sit in the stands and roll off onto the ice!

cardiff rink is amazing for what it is tbh.

Sliput

Foxbauer said:
The ice in whitley bay has ridges all over it and the players have to sit in the stands and roll off onto the ice!
There's a blast from the past.......holes in the roof,pigeons flying around,no plexi gass behind the team benches....happy days :lol:

It's great to hear that SORAC are ready and roaring to go. However, I fear that any action may be done in vein? I really can't see CCC ever delivering a new arena. I'm even a little worried that Burge may now leave (assuming his business plan was based on us playing out of an arena within a few years).

Gazza272

El Supremo said:
It's great to hear that SORAC are ready and roaring to go. However, I fear that any action may be done in vein? I really can't see CCC ever delivering a new arena. I'm even a little worried that Burge may now leave (assuming his business plan was based on us playing out of an arena within a few years).

Do you think Matt Burge as such a successful business man took on a job of running a hockey team without having realistic goals for when an arena would be built?

Other than you it seems EL everyone knew this sort of news was coming.

Wannabe2

Myself i think Matt is a little bit more switched on, than have this thing come as a bolt out of the blue. No one could have seen what was coming with the economy, but i think together we will overcome. Jesus could you imagine the s--t street we would be in now with the past owners,dont even go there. Believe me SORAC is a strong organisation, very strong in fact, this club belongs to Matt and he rightly will call the shots, but if he needs us, we will always be there.

Wannabe2 said:
Myself i think Matt is a little bit more switched on, than have this thing come as a bolt out of the blue. No one could have seen what was coming with the economy, but i think together we will overcome. Jesus could you imagine the s--t street we would be in now with the past owners,dont even go there. Believe me SORAC is a strong organisation, very strong in fact, this club belongs to Matt and he rightly will call the shots, but if he needs us, we will always be there.
Top post. Can't agree more.

Gazza272 said:
El Supremo said:

Do you think Matt Burge as such a successful business man took on a job of running a hockey team without having realistic goals for when an arena would be built?

Other than you it seems EL everyone knew this sort of news was coming.
Of course I knew it was coming, the second they built us a temporary facility and spent £2million I knew that would be their lot. However, it'd be very naive to think that Burge took on the team on the idea that we'd be playing out of a blue tent for several years to come (especially considering that it has a shelf life of no more than 5 years).

Koop11

A blue tent which is a hell of a lot cheaper to rent/run that a multi-purpose arena.

And with your statement that everyone, including yourself, ‘knew this coming’, are you suggesting Matt didn’t consider the arena would see further delays when taking on the team? El, there is a reason why Matt is a successful businessman and has a few million more in his bank account than you will ever have.

This latest news about the arena is a set back but let’s face it, one we all knew was coming. You seem so surprised. Why? Considering you ‘knew’ this would happen, I’m not sure why you’re so doom and glooming about the whole thing. Your dream of 10,000 full arenas every week across the league is clueless El. It’s not sustainable. You somehow need to get that through your head.

If I’m honest, I don’t want us playing out of an arena. Give me a 2500 seater rink over an arena any day. The tent is far from meeting all the specifications required for a team at this level but believe me, we are currently far better off where we are now, than being in a beautiful arena which we would have zero control over and which was charging us 1000s of pounds to play out of when they feel like

James

Administrator
With the current economic uncertainty, I'm happier us playing out of the tent for now than being at the whim of an arena owner. For now at least. Get the building cladded and it will last a good few years yet. It's not the WNIR, true, but it's clean and bright which couldn't be said for the WNIR :)

Chris

Administrator
It's also got some atmosphere :)

Newcastle - Their own fans complain about just how crap the atmosphere is..
Nottingham - Shhhh, this is a library damnit.
Belfast - Hardly fantastic, the people who sit near the drums make some noise, no one else does...
Sheffield - Perhaps the best atmosphere, and that's only because everything is prompted by Dave Simms.

Chris.

mazza03

I like our home, yes it needs to be clad, yes something has to be done with the sightlines, but hey we can play at the right times, look at Belfast they have to play on a Thursday, Yuk, now I wouldn't fancy that but would have to do as we are told if we played out of an arena.

Encouraging

http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?n ... &Language=

The above story has appeared on the front page of the Council website. Now, for mine, the fact that this story has even appeared as a reaction to the recent news shows how much the Devils' relationship with the council has vastly improved!

Secondly, (and largely due to that reason) I actually believe Berman here.

The other reason is that this suggests to me that we could be getting that 'ideally' sized rink after all, which I pressume would cost a lot less.

I also believe that this is the first time that the rink has been named the priority phase at the ISV.

Thoughts?

Chris

Administrator
Sounds like a reasonable news release, but not entirely convinced.

Although the wording of an 'ice rink' makes me a bit happier, i'd rather we hand a rink like Coventry than an arena like Sheffield...

Chris.

Finny

Give us a new ice rink with good sightlines for all seats, a decent sized bar, and area for sponsors as well as a proper TV gantry and I'll be happy whether the capacity is 2500 or 5000.

If we are making requests - can we have 2 ice pads like Sheffield Ice, just build the new rink next door & join the 2 together, the skaters can get more ice time and the Rec teams can play & train decent times and more public skating sessions will bring in more revenue.- OK I'll stop dreaming now!

ASHIPP

Hockey Mum said:
If we are making requests - can we have 2 ice pads like Sheffield Ice, just build the new rink next door & join the 2 together, the skaters can get more ice time and the Rec teams can play & train decent times and more public skating sessions will bring in more revenue.- OK I'll stop dreaming now!
And the team could have more ice time too. The Blue Tent has grown on me during the last year. OK, our hospitality facitilies are a bit basic,the sightlines are poor, we don't have enough seating (yet) for bigger crowds BUT.... we have a great atmosphere :D, there is room to improve and I bet a lot of us would rather be in a Coventry type arena which we can fill than rattling around in a huge arena and the problems that those clubs have had.

Anyway, other ice hockey fans/clubs affectionately refer to the Devils' home as the Blue Tent...unless you're Ryan Finnerty of course. :evil:

Re: Encouraging

Soundwave1 said:
http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=&parent_directory_id=2865&id=7963&Language=

The above story has appeared on the front page of the Council website. Now, for mine, the fact that this story has even appeared as a reaction to the recent news shows how much the Devils' relationship with the council has vastly improved!

Secondly, (and largely due to that reason) I actually believe Berman here.

The other reason is that this suggests to me that we could be getting that 'ideally' sized rink after all, which I pressume would cost a lot less.

I also believe that this is the first time that the rink has been named the priority phase at the ISV.

Thoughts?
This news article seems to say that CCC are still aiming to have our replacement ready within the planned 5 year timeframe (i.e. 2.5 - 3 years left). The echo reported that our new home is several years away. Now to me several is more than three - to me this whole thing is a bit contradictory.