Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

Devils86

Out of interest for those of the opinion to not bring Batchy back which British D man would you replace him with.

Ritchie - Already here
Ben O Conner - Nope
Davey Phillips - Not for me.
Josh Tetlow - Very comparable but would be more expensive
Sam Jones - Maybe but again more expensive
David Clements - He ain’t leaving Blaze.

It’s easy to say get rid on a keyboard but strategically what is your counter move.

For me whilst Batchy didn’t have a great season he brings a lot to the table you simply can’t ignore.
I think most people who thought Batch wouldn't come back, myself included, presumed that the organisation would sign only 5 Brits as that is the minimum required. Comparing all the Brits from last season Batch had the worst season (although whilst Dugs was quiet he has time on his side) and therefore he would not be re-signed unless Waller left.

What's important is that we didn't know he was on a 2-year deal.

I can now see us going with 6 Brits as two of them are on multi year deals and the rest are no-brainer re-signings

Rempel16

Out of interest for those of the opinion to not bring Batchy back which British D man would you replace him with.

Ritchie - Already here
Ben O Conner - Nope

It’s easy to say get rid on a keyboard but strategically what is your counter move.

For me whilst Batchy didn’t have a great season he brings a lot to the table you simply can’t ignore.
Whilst I am on the fence about the signing (I think he has a lot to prove this season) it's not limited to which Brit... We could feasibly have replaced him with an import and still had a full Brit quota with Davies.

Ritchie - Already here
Ben O Conner - Nope

Why do we need a second British D, rules state 5 brits, so Bowns, Richie, Duggy, Davies & Waller. If we drop one out of last years brits Batch is the one who should have gone

Ritchie - Already here
Ben O Conner - Nope

You wouldn't have to replace him with a British D, to be honest it's slim pickings. Get a big body from north America who isn't scared to finish a hit or stand up for his team mates and bring back Ben Davies, problem solved

Hockeymad

Ritchie - Already here
Ben O Conner - Nope

Pretty simple really.

You get an Import d man and British forward lol

voth26

Well Batchys back and I got the feeling he knows he's a lucky boy?, To be fair he was honest in his interview with JD so as the saying goes it's over to you now Josh

Mooney#16

Thanks for the replies all. However if the Devils keep all 6 Brits and sign the 15 imports then all options are on the table. Coaching wise there is accountability in every position with quality throughout the roster. I don’t see the problem. They have to train and play themselves into the line up. And Batchy iron manned every game last season which is no mean feat. The limitation is clearly Financial but Batchy doesn’t come with a whole host of secondary expenses so is as good an option as any especially with what he is capable of over not just looking at last season.

1 Import Netminder
5 Import Defencemen
9 Import Forwards

1 British Netminder
2 British Defencemen
3 British Forwards

Someone sits but it could be anyone in the line up.

E.D.S.

Interesting to hear the coaches say that the league has moved away from the Voths of the world. I get the sentiment but couldn’t help but think “I’d bloody love Voth in this team.” He wasn’t just a fighter. You could argue that he wasn’t even that. Even he didn’t like doing it but did it. Puck possession, net front presence, good in the dirty areas.
I’m curious to see what team toughness looks like to PR and whether we can actually execute that. Never seen it done here before. Full confidence in PR though. Really enjoy his interviews and well done to John for asking Batch the tricky questions. No doubt about it, he’s a lucky boy to be seeing out his second year but appreciate Batch’s honest assessment of his own performance. That honesty could drive him forward.

Gavevs88

Davies will be back, I've heard we are running with 2 spares this season, presumably unless he sorts out his form Batch will be one of them. If he can replicate his form form the Skalde season then happy days. I'm sure if anyone can extract his form then it'll be PR.

Wannabe2

Well Batchys back and I got the feeling he knows he's a lucky boy?, To be fair he was honest in his interview with JD so as the saying goes it's over to you now Josh
Totally agree, you can’t get any more honest than that, think there’s been a few clear the air chats and Josh has Adulty taken them on board. I think and hope we can see the true Josh Batch this coming season, Pete Russell will be a huge helping factor for sure. Over to you Josh, take the bull by the horns mate.

BostonBart22

Totally agree, you can’t get any more honest than that, think there’s been a few clear the air chats and Josh has Adulty taken them on board. I think and hope we can see the true Josh Batch this coming season, Pete Russell will be a huge helping factor for sure. Over to you Josh, take the bull by the horns mate.
Agree, make or break season for him, another 1 like last season and curtains I'm afraid, no pressure josh, good luck..

sjkelly07

With the likelyhood of 6 Brits, I really hope we still go with the full quota of 15 Imports. To many games last season we were short benched. We really need that extra body from the start.

Looking at the Defence rumours, linking us to Mosey & Donaghey. With also Jardine and Crawford possibly coming back, that takes us to 7 D.

17 Richardson / 15 Crawford
18 Rymsha / 00 Donaghey
00 Mosey / 21 Jardine
41 Batch

The extra player keeps everyone on their toes, and as it is an extra Brit, they can replace anyone in the lineup which is big advantage.

Also Mosey can play D or F, giving us options

Thoughts?

voth26

To be fair apart from last season Batchy has been ok pretty much every other season he's been with the devil's. Season 14/15 I think it was he was hitting, fighting

MA18

With the likelyhood of 6 Brits, I really hope we still go with the full quota of 15 Imports. To many games last season we were short benched. We really need that extra body from the start.

Looking at the Defence rumours, linking us to Mosey & Donaghey. With also Jardine and Crawford possibly coming back, that takes us to 7 D.

17 Richardson / 15 Crawford
18 Rymsha / 00 Donaghey
00 Mosey / 21 Jardine
41 Batch

The extra player keeps everyone on their toes, and as it is an extra Brit, they can replace anyone in the lineup which is big advantage.

Also Mosey can play D or F, giving us options

Thoughts?
Mosey won’t be back as a D.

jenks33

Mosey won’t be back as a D.
Where do you see him fitting in then? I actually prefer Mosey as a forward but Waller and Barrow are likely to be the wingers on the third line and he obviously won’t be on the first two lines. You think he’ll be on the 4th line or just a utility player that could be used as a D and Forward during games?