Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

ASHIPP

Where do you see him fitting in then? I actually prefer Mosey as a forward but Waller and Barrow are likely to be the wingers on the third line and he obviously won’t be on the first two lines. You think he’ll be on the 4th line or just a utility player that could be used as a D and Forward during games?
Wouldn't be suprised to see Josh Waller on lines higher than that. He is going to flourish with experienced, widely skilled players partnering him.

Waller can definitely be a top 6 forward but he needs to work on his end product in my opinion.
He already displays the speed and awareness and has great hands, hopefully this year could be a breakout year for him, points wise!

Ocko

Wouldn't be suprised to see Josh Waller on lines higher than that. He is going to flourish with experienced, widely skilled players partnering him.
Waller isn’t a top 6 player yet IMO and this roster certainly appears to agree. The Martin, Cox and Sandford line is likely to be together again with a whole new first line. Without looking he hit 20 something points last year, if we signed a player for the top 6 with less than 30 points in the EIHL or similar we’d be outraged. Success over sentiment.

Waller isn’t a top 6 player yet IMO and this roster certainly appears to agree. The Martin, Cox and Sandford line is likely to be together again with a whole new first line. Without looking he hit 20 something points last year, if we signed a player for the top 6 with less than 30 points in the EIHL or similar we’d be outraged. Success over sentiment.
Totally agree, like I said he definitely has the potential and all the tools in his box to be a top6 forward but he needs to improve his points production.
Hopefully he can start banging them in this year on a revitalised 3rd line and his get some opportunities on a properly organised and well executed PP!
It’s all there for him and most importantly PR REALLY rates him!

Have Hope#35

In terms of his points I guess it depends whether you count Challenge Cup, Continental Cup and Playoffs... If you do he scored 41pts (21 Goals & 20 Assists). I think he'll start on the third line fwiw but he's definitely capable of playing Top 6!

moggy#9

Waller's output was likely handicapped too by not having a settled and well balanced line. Hopefully this year he'll get that and be matched with players who can keep up.

The way that PR will roll lines will mean a lot of opportunities for him.

tim78

Waller had 2 less goals than Cox and scored more than Crandel, his lines were mixed all last season even down to 3rd.

He's worthy of a top 6 but this season will be a really interesting one for him.... Hope he goes from strength to strength.

jenks33

Waller had 2 less goals than Cox and scored more than Crandel, his lines were mixed all last season even down to 3rd.

He's worthy of a top 6 but this season will be a really interesting one for him.... Hope he goes from strength to strength.
Steady on Tim, Cox has never been a goalscorer and he did get 35 more assists than Waller in the league to be fair. Crandall is a fairer comparison but I think most of us agree that Crandall was a huge disappointment last season.

Waller scored 20 points in the 2021/22 season and 29 points last season so he’s heading in the right direction. If he gets 40 points next season then I think he’s a realistic option for our second line for the 2024/25 season.

Have Hope#35

Steady on Tim, Cox has never been a goalscorer and he did get 35 more assists than Waller in the league to be fair. Crandall is a fairer comparison but I think most of us agree that Crandall was a huge disappointment last season.

Waller scored 20 points in the 2021/22 season and 29 points last season so he’s heading in the right direction. If he gets 40 points next season then I think he’s a realistic option for our second line for the 2024/25 season.
That's just his Elite League Points... Season Points was 32 in 21/22 and 41 in 22/23

jenks33

That's just his Elite League Points... Season Points was 32 in 21/22 and 41 in 22/23
Yes and I compared them to Cox’s league assists. And I’m always wary of reading too much into challenge cup group stage points. Always best to look at league stats over the course of a season in my opinion

tim78

Jenk33, I may get easily exited by Josh lol... But remember this is the elite league. End of the season he will be competing and I'm hoping we'll be seeing him scoring in the WC.

Starting the season as a top 6 is not as important as ending the season in the top 6 but he's worthy of a spot.

Last edited:

Gavevs88

With the likelyhood of 6 Brits, I really hope we still go with the full quota of 15 Imports. To many games last season we were short benched. We really need that extra body from the start.

Looking at the Defence rumours, linking us to Mosey & Donaghey. With also Jardine and Crawford possibly coming back, that takes us to 7 D.

17 Richardson / 15 Crawford
18 Rymsha / 00 Donaghey
00 Mosey / 21 Jardine
41 Batch

The extra player keeps everyone on their toes, and as it is an extra Brit, they can replace anyone in the lineup which is big advantage.

Also Mosey can play D or F, giving us options

Thoughts?
I'm not sure we're taking Jardine back??

Wannabe2

Basically we had 21 players last season, and at the moment we have 11 players announced, that’s 10 hopefully still to announce of those 10, I reckon and what do I know, we may have 4/5 returnees. So maybe 5/6 new signings, what’s your thoughts on how many new faces we may hear about.

AJ73

Basically we had 21 players last season, and at the moment we have 11 players announced, that’s 10 hopefully still to announce of those 10, I reckon and what do I know, we may have 4/5 returnees. So maybe 5/6 new signings, what’s your thoughts on how many new faces we may hear about.
I think we’ll retain - Davies, Cox, Crawford

New faces - Netminder (Booth?), 1st line wingers (Ully & ?), 3rd line centre (?) 2nd & 3rd line Ds (Donaghey & Mosey?)

Then it’s whether we sign a spare import or not?