Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

I’ve said it before that I don’t see a title challenging team with both Brandt and Chad in it but if he is signed I would hope it’s as the spare import that has been rumoured.
It would be a reasonably cheap option and can play forward and defence.

If not a spare, and Ben Davies is also re-signed then you would be looking at one of the two above imports on the third line wing.
For me that’s not the quality that Belfast would settle for so we shouldn’t either.

well if the rumours about the team are true we need the first line winger and third line centre to be exceptional quality or we won't be challenging for silverware again next season.i hope im wrong but i don't think the rumored team will be good enough to challenge the giants.

BostonBart22

For me the keys are the goalie, first line wingers and third line centre. I'm struggling to see where pietroniro fits in, unless Ryan barrow goes on the top line, which I just don't see.
Pretty much sure Barrow was top line at storm, and after watching him closely last term, he could fit on first line easily. Just saying

jenks33

well if the rumours about the team are true we need the first line winger and third line centre to be exceptional quality or we won't be challenging for silverware again next season.i hope im wrong but i don't think the rumored team will be good enough to challenge the giants.
I think a lot depends on these remaining signings. Cole Ully looks like a very good signing on paper (if he has signed) and hopefully a right winger has been signed to play alongside Ully and Arniel. Also the third line centre needs to be a success this year as our depth has been a problem post covid. Players like Penny, Brittain, Lammon just haven’t given us that depth we’ve needed. I appreciate Lammon picked up an injury but he still played close to 50 games in all comps. It also goes without saying that we need Rymsha and Donaghey (possibly) to improve our D considerably.

my concern is the d.donaghey had a -24 season in the east coast hockey league and when compared to thompson who had a -17 in the same league.is this really an upgrade?rymsha had a -16 season and mosey was -2 last season.the goalie needs to be damn good because these stats don't fill me with any confidence in our defence.

jenks33

Pretty much sure Barrow was top line at storm, and after watching him closely last term, he could fit on first line easily. Just saying
Yes but ask yourself do you think Barrow would be on Belfasts first line? It doesn’t matter if he was on Manchester’s first line, we should be comparing ourselves to Belfast. I’ve got no doubts Barrow would be on Belfasts third line.

moggy#9

Yes but ask yourself do you think Barrow would be on Belfasts first line? It doesn’t matter if he was on Manchester’s first line, we should be comparing ourselves to Belfast. I’ve got no doubts Barrow would be on Belfasts third line.
Barrow makes far more sense on the 3rd line with Waller. I'm expecting the first line centres to be announced at the summit.

One thing that's worrying me though is that Cox wasn't announced with Sanford. What if part of the reason things don't seem to match up if because Cox has left?

jenks33

Barrow makes far more sense on the 3rd line with Waller. I'm expecting the first line centres to be announced at the summit.

One thing that's worrying me though is that Cox wasn't announced with Sanford. What if part of the reason things don't seem to match up if because Cox has left?
Yeah I thought Cox might have been announced by now. The reliable UK Ice Hockey Rumours account on Twitter says he’s re-signed so I’m expecting Cox to return.

The_Stick_

my concern is the d.donaghey had a -24 season in the east coast hockey league and when compared to thompson who had a -17 in the same league.is this really an upgrade?rymsha had a -16 season and mosey was -2 last season.the goalie needs to be damn good because these stats don't fill me with any confidence in our defence.
I really wouldn’t look into +/-. It is a pointless stat imo

AJ73

I think a lot depends on these remaining signings. Cole Ully looks like a very good signing on paper (if he has signed) and hopefully a right winger has been signed to play alongside Ully and Arniel. Also the third line centre needs to be a success this year as our depth has been a problem post covid. Players like Penny, Brittain, Lammon just haven’t given us that depth we’ve needed. I appreciate Lammon picked up an injury but he still played close to 50 games in all comps. It also goes without saying that we need Rymsha and Donaghey (possibly) to improve our D considerably.
Lammon was a strange one - the year before he signed he had better PPG than Conway, Owre, Neumann & Stevenson at Allen Americans - who have all gone on to be fairly successful in the EIHL. Possibly a player we didn’t really see the best of…

3rd line Centre is a spot I see as a really important player for this Devils roster - essentially he needs to have size, speed, good in the dot and be able to stand up for Waller/Barrow.

moggy#9

With you 100%, it depends on the form of the team, what line your on, with who,as well as so many other factors.
Any stat needs to be seen in context. Even goals scored can be misleading as we saw from Reid's one dimensional game and lack of effort. Assists are also, at times, questionable. Who could forget Rick brebant being known as "MeMe" because he followed the ref around asking for dubious assists.