Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

E.D.S.

I think Penny has a role to play here. It’s so hard to judge players by last years farce. Penny was one of 10/11 players who under performed last year. That can’t be because they all aren’t very good. Admittedly some did lack effort and commitment and have been moved on already but Penny for me could offer us something if he performed as expected… strong in the dot, defensive centreman. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn’t re-sign but also wouldn’t be mortified if he did.

hip check

It's easy to predict who wins the title.

Majority if the people predicted giants last season and were correct.

Majority of the people say the same this season.

They are the man city of eihl

And every year regardless of who man city sign they are always picked to win the league. And always do.

So it's a battle for 2nd
Only time will tell, having (supposedly) the best squad doesn't always gaurantee success, a totally together team of (supposedly) lesser mortals can be difficult to beat when all pulling in the same direction, how does it go "the whole is better than the sum of it's parts".
We're not gonna roll over for anybody, if they want the title they're gonna have to fight for it.

Devil94

I think Penny has a role to play here. It’s so hard to judge players by last years farce. Penny was one of 10/11 players who under performed last year. That can’t be because they all aren’t very good. Admittedly some did lack effort and commitment and have been moved on already but Penny for me could offer us something if he performed as expected… strong in the dot, defensive centreman. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn’t re-sign but also wouldn’t be mortified if he did.
Agree. He was massively under par last season but I think he can offer a lot more than he showed and under different circumstances. Don't think he will be back though due to the changes we've seen, but as a guaranteed 3rd line centre I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Crandall was another one who was under par, which was a shame as I thought in his first season he was a class act. Again wouldn't be disappointed if he came back as I would be hopeful he could repeat his first year, but looking at the possible lines I can't see where he fits in.

jenks33

I don’t think he’s terrible, he’s just not good enough for a team hoping to regain that number one spot in my opinion. I remember Wagstaff was very surprised when we signed him from Coventry and i see why now.

jenks33

Agree. He was massively under par last season but I think he can offer a lot more than he showed and under different circumstances. Don't think he will be back though due to the changes we've seen, but as a guaranteed 3rd line centre I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Crandall was another one who was under par, which was a shame as I thought in his first season he was a class act. Again wouldn't be disappointed if he came back as I would be hopeful he could repeat his first year, but looking at the possible lines I can't see where he fits in.
I appreciate we’ve all got different opinions but unless it’s a Joey Martin or a Gleason Fournier I just don’t know why anybody would want a player back that spent one season here and was “massively under par”. If a 3C (in his first season) is massively under par I’m sorry but you just move on from that player. I think it would almost be slightly lazy of us to think we can’t upgrade on Ryan Penny. We’re not in the BBT anymore trying to assemble a mid table roster.
As I said earlier I don’t think Penny is terrible he’s just not going to get us where we want to be. Fair play he’s played in the AHL so he’s clearly not a dud but I’ve got no doubts we can attract a better 3C than Penny.

Last edited:

Gisland

Sounds to me like we should give Belfast all the silver ware for this season now, I mean if you listen to everyone Belfast have won it all all ready without a game played. My point being it seems like the players Russell is signing or bringing back are already being shot down without a game played. We all know the giants will have a good side and will be favourites to win silverware but I don't think they will be invincible. I might be in minority but I think we'll be up there at the end of the season.
This..... Reading some of the posts, I was thinking the same. Belfast this year, as a team, is unrecognisable from the team last year. Major player outgoing. Major points production has gone. Yes, some players coming in are decent. The coaching staff still have to make them gel.
You have a serious coach at the helm and still quite a few players to announce, none of which are going to be just space fillers.

E.D.S.

All fair arguments.
It depends where he is for me. A defensive centre man on a third line designed to disrupt, give lines one and two a breather… he could more than do a job there it if we’re after a 3C to score thirty goals and have points production throughout the lines then may be not Penny.

jenks33

All fair arguments.
It depends where he is for me. A defensive centre man on a third line designed to disrupt, give lines one and two a breather… he could more than do a job there it if we’re after a 3C to score thirty goals and have points production throughout the lines then may be not Penny.
I just think we’ll need more than a defensive 3C to win the league. Belfast’s depth has been so strong over the past two seasons and that’s what has won them the league. Look at the play off final, they had Long and Norris on their 4th line! If we want to give Belfast a run for their money next season I think all members of our 3rd line will have to be dangerous.

Devil94

I appreciate we’ve all got different opinions but unless it’s a Joey Martin or a Gleason Fournier I just don’t know why anybody would want a player back that spent one season here and was “massively under par”. If a 3C (in his first season) is massively under par I’m sorry but you just move on from that player. I think it would almost be slightly lazy of us to think we can’t upgrade on Ryan Penny. We’re not in the BBT anymore trying to assemble a mid table roster.
As I said earlier I don’t think Penny is terrible he’s just not going to get us where we want to be. Fair play he’s played in the AHL so he’s clearly not a dud but I’ve got no doubts we can attract a better 3C than Penny.
Some fair points, but to be fair I or nobody else ever said "wanted him back". And I don't think he will be either. I just think if PR wants him back to play a role of the 3rd center that will park himself in front on the PP, kill some penalties and be a veteran guy between Waller and Barrow then it would make some sense, and I wouldn't think it was a bad move necessarily. Hard to say without knowing who else is available out there.

I remember after Tyson Marsh's first season there was a lot of underwhelmed fans when he signed back the following year. Then in the following nightmare season he was the heartbeat of the team and season after that he became club captain and legend. Now without comparing the two situations too closely, it does show that sometimes there's more to a player's season that meets the eye and that maybe in different circumstances with different responsibilities and with new teammates, they can be almost be a new player.

Of course it can work the other way too with second season syndrome. But if Russell thinks he can get a former AHLer with a 50+ point season in the Coast to click on our 3rd line then I won't argue too much.

jenks33

Some fair points, but to be fair I or nobody else ever said "wanted him back". And I don't think he will be either. I just think if PR wants him back to play a role of the 3rd center that will park himself in front on the PP, kill some penalties and be a veteran guy between Waller and Barrow then it would make some sense, and I wouldn't think it was a bad move necessarily. Hard to say without knowing who else is available out there.

I remember after Tyson Marsh's first season there was a lot of underwhelmed fans when he signed back the following year. Then in the following nightmare season he was the heartbeat of the team and season after that he became club captain and legend. Now without comparing the two situations too closely, it does show that sometimes there's more to a player's season that meets the eye and that maybe in different circumstances with different responsibilities and with new teammates, they can be almost be a new player.

Of course it can work the other way too with second season syndrome. But if Russell thinks he can get a former AHLer with a 50+ point season in the Coast to click on our 3rd line then I won't argue too much.
Listening to Pete Russell’s interview the other day I also don’t get the impression Penny will be back.
I’m probably more curious about Pietroniro at the moment. I’ve heard from a couple of people now that Pietroniro and Davies have signed. I just don’t get where all these players fit in.

jenks33

I’m wondering whether Barrow has been signed with a view to playing higher up the lineup with Arniel or if Cox isn’t back to replace him.
That would make room for the players mentioned above but I hope not
Yeah I agree. If Pietroniro and Davies have signed that would suggest to me that either Cox isn’t returning or Barrow will play higher up the line up.
That would be a shame for me. I think Barrow and Waller with a big Centre looks perfect for that third line.

yes he did, every time it needed somebody there close to the net he was getting in peoples faces, from what i could see from the back of block 5

If we re-sign Penny and Crandall, I for one will be extremely disappointed. Neither player did anywhere near enough to justify a new contract, in fact to do so will be rewarding mediocrity.
Would they be good enough for Belfast? Of course not!
There are many many better options than these two and we need to strive to be much better than the last couple of seasons.
Waller needs a big, creative centre for his game to flourish and we need a completely new first line to challenge for honours this time around.
I trust PR to bring in better replacements,