Blaze v Devils - Exhibition - 01/09 - 7:30pm

Tad#

True. But there must be another way. It's not even the start of the season, and the refs are making a huge amount of bad calls. We pay good money to see a quality hockey game and the refs are the biggest let down on the ice.

ASHIPP

Sounds like a great team effort last night with the Devils working hard to clinch the win. And I was going to post that Blaze are a well-oiled machine who have had so many warm-up matches they have practically played half a season already! There is no doubt that they have had more chance to prepare than most teams .
Our biggest test immediately is an upcoming v tough weekend. From what has been said about last night, apart from 'cattle class' reffing, the main concerns about the Devils were the number of penalty minutes and the odd lapse in concentration.Loving that they sound like they are playing for eachother already.

Personally I dont think Coventry have had a great pre-season, they lost to an understrength Giants team, then beat cardiff (in the Devils first game) Beat a very poor Dutch side then got turned over at home by the Devils playing only their second game whilst this was coventrys fourth.

I originally had the Blaze down as one of the front runners this season, but i think they have a suspect D, and havent replaced Calder.

Tad# said:
True. But there must be another way. It's not even the start of the season, and the refs are making a huge amount of bad calls. We pay good money to see a quality hockey game and the refs are the biggest let down on the ice.
The official Devils match report on the website even says that Coventry scored that goal! So i'm assuming it was a goal.

James

Administrator
Iceraider said:
The official Devils match report on the website even says that Coventry scored that goal! So i'm assuming it was a goal.
The official match report appears to be cribbed from Terry Phillips report or vice versa.

Sheincar

Tad# said:
Wow that's classy from Blaze fans. We lose one friendly and we apparently suck. Idiots like that should stick to football. Think low attendance was the Blaze's own doing. The prices have gone up to £16 this season and they were charging that last night! It's only a friendly, and they charge full price!? Dunno who's bright idea that was.

Midweek games are normally quiet, but I think that's the quietest I've ever seen it.
I MUST NOT REACT
I MUST NOT REACT

But that doesn't half sound familiar ;)

Sliput

Tad# said:
Wow that's classy from Blaze fans. We lose one friendly and we apparently suck. Idiots like that should stick to football. Think low attendance was the Blaze's own doing. The prices have gone up to £16 this season and they were charging that last night! It's only a friendly, and they charge full price!? Dunno who's bright idea that was.

Midweek games are normally quiet, but I think that's the quietest I've ever seen it.
The official attendance was 1068. One of the reasons for low attendance i think is that it was Blaze's 3rd home game in eight days, so just for an adult it would have been £48 !!

A

Anonymous

glad sawyer scored last night,
im pretty sure the blaze fans were shouting he is a donkey on saturday when he went into the box :p

Rempel16

I managed to catch last nights game on the webcast, and having missed the home game but reading comments here I wasn't too confident.

I must say that I was very very impressed with the team performance as a whole. We looked to have energy in abundance, we outworked the Blaze all night, there was noticable leadership within the ranks, we played very aggressively as a unit and we never seemed to fall short of ideas.

It was also pleasing to see that we have three genuine faceoff takers. We must've won at least 60% of faceoffs, which, whilst not a major statistic, could be very telling in key situations and actually win us a couple more games.

I enjoyed the mix across the three lines too. The Max/Matzka/Pelle line look like they have instant understanding, and it seemed on numerous occassions that the receiving player had read a pass just a split second late. Once the timing clicks that line will cut defences wide open.

The Voth/Finner/Hill line has to be the most dominant 2nd line in the league in terms of the physicality used and the amount of space they create. They will cause havoc for sure.

And finally the third line seemed to feed off Tylor's workrate and never stopped skating all night. Macrae and Tylor lined up well whilst Sam Smith seems to have a very good hockey brain.

Lyle looked very comfortable between the pipes and deserved his MOM.

For the D, Mark Richardson is getting more an more accomplished as a d-man every game.

Mark Smith looked quiet but effective, exactly what his role needs.

Kenton Smith looks a class apart from the rest. Can't wait to watch this guy over a whole season. Reminded me very much of Teplitsky.

Adams was solid as ever, whilst Symonds looked confident and was played in a few key situations.

Lastly, Justin Sawyer. I was slightly worried about watching him, my worry only generated by the five pages of discussion following Saturday's home game. I really hope that the creator of that thread managed to watch last nights game.

For me, Sawyer was excellent. His skating is very good for a big guy, his positional awareness was astute and he demonstrated both in numerous situations. G played him in the 5-on-3 situation and it was here that he showed what he will be worth to this team. His ability to turn quickly whilst skating was pleasing for me and he was also quick enough to join the offence at times too. He took his goal very well.

Sawyer did cost us for the Blaze first goal when he stepped out of position to go after Jeff Smith, however, in the context of the game and setting the tone for the season it was important to let Smith know early that he can't make late hits on our players, and so his decision was justified for me.

So overall, I liked what I saw, there is certainly room for improvement in some areas but I think most of the players have adapted to each other at a quicker rate than expected of a team playing its second game together and that makes me very excited about this season.

Roll on the weekend and the return to competitive hockey!

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #73
Thanks to everyone that looked at MNL, biggest opening game for us so far, not a bad result just before this incarnation of The-Inferno's birthday :D

Hopefully another good season, both on and off the ice \o/

Chris.

Tad#

Sheincar said:
Tad# said:

I MUST NOT REACT
I MUST NOT REACT

hehe, sorry to boil the blood :) but in 3 seasons it gone up from £12.50 to £16.00. While I'm not thrilled on this, I understand why, but if it gets any higher, I will be forced to stop going too the small games - not by choice mind.

Most sports have cheaper pre-season tickets so I'm sure you can understand my complaint there. Love hockey, put it's starting to add up financially. Unlike Devils, blaze don't have Flexi cards, so that's one idea out the way :( two homes games up too 32 pounds. The most popular sport in the uk (footie) costs about £25.00 every two weeks! So hockey's now less known, poorly controlled and dearer but costs more? I can't see that working out well for new fans and old ones.

Sheincar

Tad# said:
Sheincar said:
Tad# said:

I MUST NOT REACT
I MUST NOT REACT

hehe, sorry to boil the blood :) but in 3 seasons it gone up from £12.50 to £16.00. While I'm not thrilled on this, I understand why, but if it gets any higher, I will be forced to stop going too the small games - not by choice mind.

Most sports have cheaper pre-season tickets so I'm sure you can understand my complaint there. Love hockey, put it's starting to add up financially. Unlike Devils, blaze don't have Flexi cards, so that's one idea out the way :( two homes games up too 32 pounds. The most popular sport in the uk (footie) costs about £25.00 every two weeks! So hockey's now less known, poorly controlled and dearer but costs more? I can't see that working out well for new fans and old ones.
Oh don't worry we've already had a full and frank discussion on here!!!. I agree with you which is why I wouldn't go to our friendly.

Wannabe2

So So So glad i went last night, and thank you Terry Phillips what a great great night at the Skydome, there was actually about 40-50 of us scattered about the rink, moving with every period to see our guys putting the biscuit in the bag. What a start Pelle, i repeat Pelle took the wind out of sails within 16 sec of the face off, and set the scene to show all that were there what we are about this season, and believe me we are about a whole lot of very exciting stuff. Tysons goal, what, i thought the net was going to end up on the M42, and there nettie was still looking at him cocking his elbow to shoot when the net behind him was bulging. Mr Justin Sawyer coming out of the bin to show such soft hands to blow the stuffing out of the Blaze and scoring the match winner, what a great response to the Blaze Donkey calls on him. Believe me people we have a team this season that will have us on the end of our seats, this squad is so so talented and is just what every one of us wished for. To be at Coventry and see there fans leaving as fast as they can is a thing to behold, the score last night could have easily been 6-2 or 6-3 they were never ever in it except for a 5-10 minute lack of concentration. Matzka Matzka so good you want to say it twice,so very much to get excited about, we have a team this season that will get better and better, and is a real tribute to our coach, we have so many good things to look forward to this season it aint true. Its a truelly awesome time to be a Devils fan, and please believe me its gonna get better and better. THIS TEAM IS OVERFLOWING WITH TALENT,thank you Gerad this is just what the doctor ordered. From the D to the forward lines we are looking mighty good. God its gonna be one hell of a season. What a difference a few days make, big time.

Just watched those highlights. How funny is voth when he hes punched in the face and all he does is laugh at them!!

Look forward to sunday!!!!

Wannabe2

Ingramator said:
Just watched those highlights. How funny is voth when he hes punched in the face and all he does is laugh at them!!

Voth is class pure class, something that opposing teams dont comprehend bless them. :lol:

Wannabe2 said:
Ingramator said:

Voth is class pure class, something that opposing teams dont comprehend bless them. :lol:
Definatly, see if sawyer brings any fights to the table this year!