Blaze v Devils - Exhibition - 01/09 - 7:30pm

drainage

cardiffdevil said:
Finny said:
Awesome goal by Sawyer - who has impressed me so far.

Shame Hicks had to help the Blaze to get back into the game by ignoring an awful elbow to the Tylor's head by Smith, then ignoring a check from behind on a devils defenceman by Lee which led to a two-on-one break.
He never disappoints does he!!!
:D :D
NOPE ! :D :D :D :D

DevilDom

I'd love to hear how any of the new guys did after a bit more time in the country if anyone that went or watched the webcast wants to share their view.

A

Anonymous

DevilDom said:
I'd love to hear how any of the new guys did after a bit more time in the country if anyone that went or watched the webcast wants to share their view.
Pelle > Over all played well, he reminds me a bit of Michel, tenacious and gritty, with speed and skill also.

Matzka > Did well. I really do think he will be a star, not just for us but for the league.

Sawyer > Took his eye off the puck which lead to a Blaze goal, took a silly holding penalty, other than that played well and looked pretty solid to me.

Macrae > Dont recall seeing much of him but had a few rips at goal. Stick handling was good. Certainly didn't do anthing wrong that I saw.

K. Smith > One or two lapses of concentration but would of been our best D man if it wasn't for Richardson. Both of them diving to block shots putting themselves on the line. Good to see !!

Thought we bossed the 3rd until the penalty at the end. Not only are we big and strong this year but we also seem very quick. Bags of pace in the side. MoM would be tough between Michel, Richardson and Lyle?
on the web cast look a good soilded play, esp on the pen kill, need a bit of smarting up in D otherwise a good soild display
Our defence in the 1st period was excellent on the PK. If we need to improve anything I'd look at our PP

It was sometimes hard to see who was who but I didnt notice anyone not have a good game. They were chasing the puck and not really allowing Coventry too much time on the puck. Sawyer definately allowed a goal in but made up for it with a cracker.

Tylor was - well Tylor, awesome as usual. Stevie certainly deserved man of the match.

Fair play to Simms he gave us some good comments, especially Brad.

Hicks was at his dubious best but then I am biased.

I thought it was very entertaining game.

Finny

Pretty good game for a friendly, which the Devils more than deserved to win. Even strength I thought we were much the better team, and even when short-handed our penalty killing was excellent and we were a touch unlucky not to score a short-handed goal or two.

Almost missed the goal as it came after only 16 seconds. Loose puck wasn't cleared and Pelle stole in to shoot the puck past Jaeger.
Blaze 0-1 Devils

Cardiff then seemed to spend the majority of the first period short-handed as they seemed to get the worst of Hicks. I really am worried about Hicks as at times he was bordering on garbage tonight. Ignoring obvious calls infront of him and then calling silly little reactional things.

Devils second came in the second period after a quick counter-attack, Michel bringing the puck down the right into the zone before releasing a slapshot that was past Jaeger before he knew it.
Blaze 0-2 Devils.

Blaze then started to benefit from some poor non-calls by Hicks. First Smith comes steaming in and elbows Michel at full speed in the head, sending him flying. Tylor gets up and gives Smith a shove who shoves him back. No call from Hicks. Sawyer then steps in, shoves Smith who dives to the ice like he has been shot. Up goes Hicks's arm and on the delayed powerplay the Blaze find the spare man at the far post who taps into the unguarded net. Most people thought it was Carlson but it was announced as Zanon.
Blaze 1-2 Devils

A couple of minutes later and with a Devils defenceman (Mark Smith?) in control of the back, Lee comes in and checks him hard from behind. Once again Hicks calls nothing, Lee skates in and although Kenton Smith blocks him well with a sliding interception, Lee picks the loose puck back up behind the net, picks out Carlson who one-times it in for the equaliser. Devils quite rightly furious.
Blaze 2-2 Devils

Sawyer then gets sent to the bin for holding, harsh IMO as from the replay he seemed to use his body without the use of the arm. Devils do a good PK job and as Sawyer comes out of the box the puck is cleared to him. Sawyer skates in and beats Jaeger with a nice backhand move at the far post.
Blaze 2-3 Devils.

Though the Blaze had a couple of good chances to score the Devils were still the more dominant of the two sides IMO and comfortably hung on for the win.

Thoughts from the game:

Jaeger is a good reactional goalie but he does seem to flap around too much at times. Gives a lot of rebounds but fortunately the Blaze defence was good and managed to clear them. Also helps when you are able to flatten or grab the Devils player just as he is about to score without a penalty mind.
Smith...jury still out. Blaze fans went mental with joy after he dished out a hit on Voth that sounded big but on the replay barely made Voth move. Voth then dished out a big check on a Blaze defencemen and the Blaze fans were up in arms, Smith then comes in and cross checks Voth before trying to make him fight with several punches. Voth laughs and skates away. Smith gets 2 minutes for roughing but IMO that should be one of the times when a 2+10 should be used for trying to instigate a fight. It didn't really matter though as our PP sucked.

For the Devils, I was surprised how fast we looked especially on the PK. We also outworked the Blaze for long spells which is not something you see often, and for long periods we had them penned in their own zone. Matzka started very brightly before fading a bit whilst Pelle showed he might be small but hard to catch. Birbraer too looks even faster than last season and dished out a couple of huge checks which sent Blaze players flying across the ice.

Pick of the defencemen for me was Kenton Smith. Was poor on Saturday when he looked jetlagged still but was excellent tonight. Also good to see a bit of a nasty streak in him at the end when he was threw a couple of punches after the Blaze player crosschecked his brother into Lyle.
Also a mention for Lyle who was unworked for long spells but when he was called upon made some big saves.

voth26

sounds like all the players were involved one way or another,great result as well, sounds like voth was involved in a few things, same goes for sawyer stepping in to help tylor. we are going to have to cut down on pm's from the off in the first league game or it's really going to hurt us i think. sounds like hicks is carrying on from last season with his anti devils performances!!! :roll: :roll:
the guys seemed to have put a in a good alround performance, just goes to show that you cant judge a team after 1 game with very little practise and only having just met each other ..... if you all catch my drift

Wasn't at the game but from what Finny says, the Blaze sound pretty poor and the Devils are justifying my favourite tags. I wonder if anyone is going to apologise for having a go at me when I dared suggest that the Devils have the best team in the league now it has been proven on the ice??

Finny

You got whooped by the understrength Giants - which means we are still behind them. I think Nottingham and possible Sheffield could finish above the Blaze this year.

J.B said:
Wasn't at the game but from what Finny says, the Blaze sound pretty poor and the Devils are justifying my favourite tags. I wonder if anyone is going to apologise for having a go at me when I dared suggest that the Devils have the best team in the league now it has been proven on the ice??
Where are we favourites? Every season preview I've read has us between second at a push and fifth.

If you have looked at the rosters and decided we're more likely winners than Belfast I'm amazed. Of course you could just be trying to big us up so you can criticise if we fail?

Hicks really is a grade A clown. I stand by my earlier comments from Saturday's game thread that he is a muppet. He's so concerned with not being accused of being biased towards Cardiff he takes it too far the other way and seems to be vehmently anti-devils. I've heard Blaze, Steelers and Panthers fans all commenting on similar lines at the rink. Not to mention his apparent dislike of Voth. It took just 45 seconds in Saturdays game for him to call Brad on some silly penalty.

Someone should record the "Somebody wake up Hicks" soundbyte from the Aliens movie and play it over the rink sound system whenever he makes one of his bizarre calls.

cardiffdevil said:
According to MNL about 10
I think there were about 25 of us. About 15 sitting and around 10 standing.

My first away game and amused to see that the chavs were as annoyed by Hicks as we were, especially when a goal was disallowed.

Thought team were great, looking really sharp.

DevilDom

J.B said:
Troll, troll, troll. A typical JB post - don't react! He'll soon get bored.

DevilDom

Ghost Dog said:
Hicks really is a grade A clown. I stand by my earlier comments from Saturday's game thread that he is a muppet. He's so concerned with not being accused of being biased towards Cardiff he takes it too far the other way and seems to be vehmently anti-devils. I've heard Blaze, Steelers and Panthers fans all commenting on similar lines at the rink. Not to mention his apparent dislike of Voth. It took just 45 seconds in Saturdays game for him to call Brad on some silly penalty.
Spot on. This is exactly what I was saying last year. Home town refs should not officiate their home town club at all - too much pressure on someone who is after all not a professional.

A

Anonymous

Hicks was much better last night than he was on Saturday.
Anyway..........

Shall we concentrate on our teams fine performance and winning away at the Skydome? ;)

Tad#

Both teams played well last night. Hicks still showing us all he can't ref to save his life once again. He's a question for you: if we can now show replays on a webcast, why don't they use it in tricky calls. I was too far away to see if Blaze disallowed goal should of counted, but according to my mates in block 1, it was ridiculously past the goal line.

However, despite having a goal disallowed, Blaze had plenty of Powerplays but achevied nothing. Tylor played very well, and Voth actually kept his cool. He nearly lost it once or twice, but his fellow team mates calmed him down - clearly something was said after last weeks game. Lyle had a great game. Definately deserved man of the match. For the Blaze, Jaeger worries me. It's too early to say yet, but the way he moves and reacts kind of reminders me of perras - hope I'm wrong though. Devils edged it last night. Sometimes Blaze were struggling to clear the puck. Devils were very fast on the offensive, putting pressure on the Blaze defence. Good game guys, best of luck in the season.

James

Administrator
Good game last night for a friendly. Positives for me were Maxi like on Saturday working hard, hitting hard and showing us the good player, we haven't seen him as for a while, that plays a full game. Hope he can keep it up. Sawyer showed he had a good turn of speed and took his goal well. He really isn't just a meathead. Voth played well and even managed to draw a penalty without automatically going to the box himself. Tylor at 2 points last night held off the entire blaze line in their zone easily. I'm not sure if the Blaze preseason is tiring them out but the Devils were the much faster team all night which I'm not used to against Cov. The d looks like it's going to be good and when the first line get used to each other I think they are going to be very impressive. Congratulations to the Blaze fans sitting behind where we were who, after a preseason friendly were shouting 'Coventry Blaze You Suck' at their team. Classy. I know blaze have a god given right to win everytime, but really? As for the goal that wasn't, it did look like it ran around the top bar of the net on the inside but both teams didn't hesitate to play on. Usually you can tell by the players if it did or didn't as they get a better view. In this case despite the goal light going on, neither side reacted and got on with it, no goal.

Tad#

Wow that's classy from Blaze fans. We lose one friendly and we apparently suck. Idiots like that should stick to football. Think low attendance was the Blaze's own doing. The prices have gone up to £16 this season and they were charging that last night! It's only a friendly, and they charge full price!? Dunno who's bright idea that was.

Midweek games are normally quiet, but I think that's the quietest I've ever seen it.

TheStub

Re: Re: Blaze v Devils - Exhibition - 01/09 - 7:30pm

Tad# said:
He's a question for you: if we can now show replays on a webcast, why don't they use it in tricky calls.
Exactly. I think it comes down to availability of technology, and manning. Not all rinks have the same level of recording available. Is it fair to have different officiating per rink?

It would be nice to have our own Toronto, and send things off for independent video review.

It would also be nice to have 2 refs, once we have video review. But that is more about manning.