Bit of a difference

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
On our day we are as good as Belfast who top the league, but this is where we fall away from them. We have played the same amount of games, but this is where we lose it,Giants have scored 37 more goals than us, and conceeded 22 less and that’s a huge difference, they have been more lethal up front, and far meaner in defence, and that’s why they are top of the league.

We also lose the crucial games. Like we can beat Belfast and Sheffield most of the time and when it comes to the smaller teams in the league we seem to struggle

Wannabe2

Thread starter #5
Our record against Steelers this season is 3 wins 3 loses in league, 1 win 0 loses in cup, and against Giants it’s 4 wins 2 loses in league, 0 wins 1 loss in cup. So in 7 games against both opponents, it’s 4`-3 in wins in our favour against both.

august04 2.0

And it’s why we need more than a few changes next year, as much as I’ve enjoyed watching this team (mostly!) since Coughler came in. Belfast and Sheffield will strengthen, and we have to close that considerable gap to challenge for anything next season. I recall a couple of those early Belfast games, coming away thinking “how the hell did we win that” and there have been other games when Carruth in particular has stolen it for us. But he can’t do that every game, and that’s the bottom line. We’ve relied on our goaltending a lot this year.

pjj365

And it’s why we need more than a few changes next year, as much as I’ve enjoyed watching this team (mostly!) since Coughler came in. Belfast and Sheffield will strengthen, and we have to close that considerable gap to challenge for anything next season. I recall a couple of those early Belfast games, coming away thinking “how the hell did we win that” and there have been other games when Carruth in particular has stolen it for us. But he can’t do that every game, and that’s the bottom line. We’ve relied on our goaltending a lot this year.
Why focus on these teams when we are 1 game upon each We need to perform even better against the"lesser" teams

kingmo19.1

On our day we are as good as Belfast who top the league, but this is where we fall away from them. We have played the same amount of games, but this is where we lose it,Giants have scored 37 more goals than us, and conceeded 22 less and that’s a huge difference, they have been more lethal up front, and far meaner in defence, and that’s why they are top of the league.
Statistically they are better (than every team) offensively and defensively - hence they are top of the league and have already got a trophy in the bag! …. And it’s a LOT of a difference not a little!

Rempel16

Had we started the season with this current roster then that gap would have been much tighter, and I feel we'd have closed out the cup final had we run 6 defencemen, but it's a season of buts/ifs unfortunately.

Still room for changes for sure, mind.

moggy#9

To win this league you need a points percentage above 80% and to lose no more than about 8 games. Our was obvious by Xmas that we couldn't meet that. Things haven't been helped by issues such as injuries, but no one can seriously claim that we've been any better than a third place team.

There is hope though. With a few tweaks the team could be very good. I do sometimes wonder whether our intensity matches the structure of our league.

Mazzoak

Our main issues are fitness to the standard of the EIHL at supposedly lower team numbers, that could’ve, should’ve been addressed, although it should only be this season. Professional experience is also an area that will need either changing or absorbed by a larger bench. Scoring, we’ve not performed to the rest of the top teams and that’s been obvious from team announcement. Coaching, that’ll come and has seen improvement. Defence, dire, again we’ve been left behind by others with regards the rules. Netminding, spectacular, needs keeping, nothing more.

jenks33

This is why I disagree with people that want 80+% of this seasons roster back. If the goal is to be better than Belfast and Sheffield next season then skalde/Kelman need to be brave with recruitment in the summer. I still maintain that I want about 13 players back. There are 3 or 4 players I can think of that haven’t done much wrong but aren’t good enough for a title winning team in my opinion.

august04 2.0

Why focus on these teams when we are 1 game upon each We need to perform even better against the"lesser" teams
I was commenting on the other posts that mentioned specifically about Belfast/Sheffield but the Belfast games in particular where our goaltending has been the difference. But yes I absolutely agree, we need to be more consistent in all games. We’ve lost far too many games against the so called lesser teams. The top two just don’t do that as often.

Last edited:

jenks33

I think it says a lot about a team though when they’ve got a good record against the top two but have struggled against the bottom teams. It’s easy to get up for those Sheffield/Belfast games but you need strong characters and players that are willing to get stuck in when you’ve got Fife/ Dundee away on a Wednesday night. Plus we’ve had slow starts all season even tho Skalde has tried to address this several times. There must be doubts about the character of a few players when looking at recruitment for next years roster.

moggy#9

They will lose 2 more each I reckon meaning at least 11 and 10.
Possibly, but allowing for the specific circumstances of this season, the aim for a normal season should still be around 8 regulation time losses. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the fact that we have dropped so many points to teams destined to finish further down the league suggests issues with some players. I know that "league first" has been drummed into them, but clearly we have issues with the team being up for a dreary night in fife or Dundee.

moggy#9

Sheffield, if they had a decent netminding tandem, would have been difficult to stop. Brust is the most over rated goalie I have seen in a long time.