Bench coach/Franny

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulsasha

Thread starter #1
I know I might get shot down for this but everyone is entitled to an opinion
Is it time that we had a more experience bench coach than Franny?
I know he has been at the club for many years but apart from last years CC cup what more can he do on the bench.
He is top class with working with the management in recruiting players but for me we need someone with more experience .
Maybe its time for a fulltime manager who can run the team from the bench rather than having Lord playing and coaching ,
and I am not saying that Lord should hang up his skates either
as he is far too valuable on the ice playing.
It works for other teams in the league so why can't it work for the Devils.
Hope I don't get shot down too many times.

august04

I don't think this thread should be about Franny. He has a full time job away from the Devils and I'm sure does a very good job behind the bench on game nights - and his recruiting role over the years cannot be underestimated. I do think that Lord might benefit from some more help on the day to day coaching front though. It's tough enough being a player or a coach, never mind combining the two roles and he must keep playing. The strain on him has been evident recently, the guy can't do everything.

ASHIPP

august04 said:
I don't think this thread should be about Franny. He has a full time job away from the Devils and I'm sure does a very good job behind the bench on game nights - and his recruiting role over the years cannot be underestimated. I do think that Lord might benefit from some more help on the day to day coaching front though. It's tough enough being a player or a coach, never mind combining the two roles and he must keep playing. The strain on him has been evident recently, the guy can't do everything.
Agreed. And it wouldn't be a first in the League. Walser at the Giants has Keefe/Benedict and Stewart as Assistant coaches. There are several assistant player coaches around the league too.

Lordo fulfilling several roles at the moment. It's going to take its toll on him.

DevilDom

I'd say Franny is not the problem and does his job very well bringing a wealth of experience and recruiting skills to the table. It's extremely difficult to compete at the top consistently with a player coach. The experience Nottingham in particular have in their coaching set-up is unrivalled with both Neilson and Strachan behind the bench. There is only us and Giants in our conference who have a player coach and 4 teams in the league as whole (2 of those being the bottom 2) so maybe it's something for Todd and the owners to ponder in the future.

dave

Do not forget that there is also Jamie Elson on the bench (who also does a staggering amount of work in the week and after games on the coach back from away games) and also Brent Walton (since Injury) who is providing a players set of eyes.
I think it is great that they have also giving a chance to a coach that has come through the Cardiff system and also like a player will develop and is developing in the role as knowledge is learnt etc.
I also agree that in the future that the head coach should be be on bench and I hope that is Lordo once he decides its time to hang them up. I think one thing though it is clear that he will be a top class coach that Cardiff will be proud of if he follows the path of some coaches that started or developed in the UK.

jimmy snels

Milky said:
mazza03 said:
Stupid thread.
Why is this a stupid thread?
Because its not 100% positive?! Really frustrates me when people post in this manner. I have no opinion on the topic as i really don't know but if someone wants to debate it why not on a supposedly open forum? Sometines it would be nice if you don't agree to offer a counter opinion or if you don't have nothing to add say nothing. This place would be a lonely place if only 5 or 6 people are the only ones posting on topics they see as fit.

Gaz G

jimmy snels said:
Milky said:
mazza03 said:
Stupid thread.
Because its not 100% positive?! Really frustrates me when people post in this manner. I have no opinion on the topic as i really don't know but if someone wants to debate it why not on a supposedly open forum? Sometines it would be nice if you don't agree to offer a counter opinion or if you don't have nothing to add say nothing. This place would be a lonely place if only 5 or 6 people are the only ones posting on topics they see as fit.
Agree 100%

Milky

jimmy snels said:
Milky said:
mazza03 said:
Stupid thread.

Errrrr, now i'm totally confused. :?:

Paulsasha starts a thread with his view and reasoning (which I will post me thoughts on soon) and then Mazza03 posts 'stupid thread' which Earnie agrees with. I question why he's called it stupid as I'd like to hear his thoughts and views on it as I think its a perfectly valid question thats been raised and then you respond as above.

I agree totally with your sentiments, this is exactly what a forum is for.

Milky

paulsasha said:
I know I might get shot down for this but everyone is entitled to an opinion
Is it time that we had a more experience bench coach than Franny?
I know he has been at the club for many years but apart from last years CC cup what more can he do on the bench.
He is top class with working with the management in recruiting players but for me we need someone with more experience .
Maybe its time for a fulltime manager who can run the team from the bench rather than having Lord playing and coaching ,
and I am not saying that Lord should hang up his skates either
as he is far too valuable on the ice playing.
It works for other teams in the league so why can't it work for the Devils.
Hope I don't get shot down too many times.
I'm sure you will get shot down by a section of fans but i'm inclined to agree with you. A lot of people I have spoken to aren't quite sure exactly what Franny does on the bench. This isn't knocking the guy as I'm sure he is a lovely bloke and has been involved with the club a very very long time which is brilliant.

But as mentioned, he works full time so obviously can't make any of the training sessions. So he can't actively be involved in the coaching side of things. From my understanding he's there only on match nights for the game. It's a valid point to ask.

Put it another way, given the club have asked Jamie Elson to assist Lordo with coaching and bench work (as they obviously felt there was a need for him to do it), when Lordo retires from playing and becomes a full time coach, will Franny be on the bench? I can't see it.

Wannabe2

Considering that there are eight coaches below our coaching personnel, and that could very soon be nine I think our guys are doing a great job. Lordo, Franny, and the very competent Jamie Elson must be doing something right.

Ocko

No one knows how much or little Franny does, or Jamie Elson or Lordo (in terms of coaching) for that matter, outside of the club.

It's therefore impossible to know if they should be replaced. It's all complete guesswork and uneducated opinion, which appears particularly knee jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.