2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

kingmo19.1

What is surprising about this guy is the fact that he has obviously showed a lot of promise, and is clearly a good player, but he seems to have tumbled down the leagues. Let's be honest here, del is a step down from khl, and eihl is a step down again. What's going on here? Is there some issue with him. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
What’s known in the business as a Bust!

moggy#9

Well, what I was alluding to was that in some cases the reasons players don't succeed is about other factors than their ability. I've no idea if that's the case here. What I do know is that our leadership are very careful about the character of the players that they bring in, for that reason.

jenks33

Thread starter #792
It is slightly bizarre if he has signed for the Giants. 75 games in the AHL in 2018/19 then one season in the KHL, one season in the DEL and now the EIHL. I don’t think it’s that odd if he was 36 but he’s only 27! He was a number 4 pick in the 2012 draft. No doubt he’s going to be a threat in this league but my guess is he’s hard work off the ice or is lazy on the ice. It just doesn’t add up

mjh

As expected, Myers is no longer with the Devils. Feel like this one is a bit of a bum note to begin the season on. He was one of the hardest working players on the team and immense when it came to face offs. Played well during the summer for GB. Hope he has something good lined up next.

jenks33

Thread starter #794
Wouldn’t be surprised if we announce Dupont (or whoever we’ve signed) later on today. That’s what we should do anyway. Follow some disappointing news up with some positive news

Kevlar68

As expected, Myers is no longer with the Devils. Feel like this one is a bit of a bum note to begin the season on. He was one of the hardest working players on the team and immense when it came to face offs. Played well during the summer for GB. Hope he has something good lined up next.
See I don't see it as a bum note at all, it's the nature of the beast. He was either going to be signed, released or retire. It's been happening to great players since 86.
It's a new season, a new coach, a new team, how can anything make this season start on a bum note?
We haven't had hockey for 16 months, just the fact we have hockey at all is a joyous moment.
Also the Devils are still going ahead with testimonial which I think is due to a great respect for Matthew.

mjh

See I don't see it as a bum note at all, it's the nature of the beast. He was either going to be signed, released or retire. It's been happening to great players since 86.
It's a new season, a new coach, a new team, how can anything make this season start on a bum note?
We haven't had hockey for 16 months, just the fact we have hockey at all is a joyous moment.
Also the Devils are still going ahead with testimonial which I think is due to a great respect for Matthew.
Don't get me wrong, I'm massively excited about the new season, coach and team. I'm personally just a little disappointed that one of my favourite players, who I still think had lots to offer, is not returning. As you say, it's nothing new but still disappointed to see Myers go.

RedDevil17

Shame to see Myers go, but at the same time I’m more than happy with our current crop of brits for the upcoming season. Waller is definitely a player for the future, and both Davies and O’Connor have experience of the EIHL. Myers is also getting on a bit for a hockey player but has been a good servant. We move on

moggy#9

Players departing is always difficult for hockey fans, who tend to be a sentimental bunch. The contribution Myers has made to club and country guess without saying. Let's be brutally honest here though, he's not getting any younger and past performance isn't necessarily a predictor of the future. Coach skalde clearly has an ethos which he didn't think Myers was the best player available to fit into. Messers skade and kelman know far more about the game than even the most long in the tooth of us can claim to. I trust their judgement and know that they have to be pragmatic and do what's best. Sad? Yes. But we move on.

Ocko

Saddest thing is that this decision is clearly because of the roster rule change. Not a great way for a legend of the league to potentially have to bow out on - he deserved better. Not the clubs fault really, the league as a whole are.