2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Mooney#16

This really puts the cat amongst the pigeons as far as the last Devils signing/s goes as this deal has to see a real terms increase in the player budget. I have a feeling Asselin isn't coming back which would be sad as I thought he made some of the most clutch plays of the season down the stretch but Devils surely now have the finance to bring in a stud for this league and even a spare on top. I hear rumours of a big time signing but as of yet no name mentioned. I'm told it's not Iginla but people have long noses these days.

A few people have said they don't think asselin is back.. where do you think he may go if he doesn't? Remembering it'll be somewhere in the eihl as he stored his stuff in Cardiff

ASHIPP

Haven't seen any moaning so suspect I follow different people but for me this is a massive step forward. A national company who will also sell our merchandise, and a multi-year deal as well. This is another indication of how far we have come as a club.
Infact, two Welsh success stories in partnership next season. Fantastic news.

ASHIPP

A few people have said they don't think asselin is back.. where do you think he may go if he doesn't? Remembering it'll be somewhere in the eihl as he stored his stuff in Cardiff
How about the possibility that he and his family could return in a few weeks once their new addition to the family arrives? Or maybe Patrick and his family have decided to stay closer to home. He would certainly be missed.

Mooney#16

I base my Asselin assumption on nothing more than a hunch. I could be way off and Devils get both him and someone else. But he seems to be loving life in North America right now and have a nipper on the way. He puts a high value on his family clearly so it wouldn't be a shock if he skipped another season or portion of it. It wouldn't be for a switch to another EIHL team. Unless someone was offering crazy money.

I'm just looking at that squad and do I see a huge budgetary increase over last season. An increase no doubt but of the level you would think available after a sell out season and now signing a marquee sponsorship for this league. That money is going to show up in the last signing I expect even factoring in the increased overheads of the CHL.

Temme

I base my Asselin assumption on nothing more than a hunch. I could be way off and Devils get both him and someone else. But he seems to be loving life in North America right now and have a nipper on the way. He puts a high value on his family clearly so it wouldn't be a shock if he skipped another season or portion of it. It wouldn't be for a switch to another EIHL team. Unless someone was offering crazy money.

I'm just looking at that squad and do I see a huge budgetary increase over last season. An increase no doubt but of the level you would think available after a sell out season and now signing a marquee sponsorship for this league. That money is going to show up in the last signing I expect even factoring in the increased overheads of the CHL.
Asselin is back. 100%.

Asselin is back. 100%.
How do you know? I'll choose to believe you because I'm desperate for Asselin to come back - such a good player.

There is an open training session on Thursday, which makes no sense considering they haven't released all signings yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have Hope#35

How do you know? I'll choose to believe you because I'm desperate for Asselin to come back - such a good player.

There is an open training session on Thursday, which makes no sense considering they haven't released all signings yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assume we'll get a Signing Announcement Friday (Bumper Double maybe) and they'll all fly in over the weekend/early part of next week!

Finny

What makes you think the sponsorship deal is a cash one? That's a big assumption to make for a club that hasn't had a big cash sponsor since........???

This isn't the Premier League where companies are trying to out bid each other to be a sponsor. Heck, even some football clubs are struggling to get sponsors (Fulham?)
There may well be a cash value to the sponsorship (I have no idea) but it will be almost certainly dwarfed by the additional benefits this partnership will bring.
If you are expecting a big budget signing because of this sponsorship then I fear you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The players budget would have been set months ago.

And anyway, even if we did make a marquee signing on Friday what are the chances of them having a better career history than Asselin? The only reason we were able to sign him last year was because he had taken a year off.

Mooney#16

Come again Finny. You're saying they have signed over the lead sponsorship deal for three years for merchandise in Cardiff Stores and whatever advertising Peacocks wish to place in store. Peacocks have weighed up the financial value of placing marketing budget into the Devils versus a potential increase in in store and on line foot fall and decided the figures add up. Of course there is a monetary value to this deal and for a three year deal it must be pretty sizeable otherwise you'd sign a one year with a view to trying to increase it year on year.

As with the BT deal of yester year it can be the difference between mid table mediocrity and competing and winning so yes I put that much importance behind it. And no I don't think I'll be disappointed as they have signed a big signing. I just can't get the name out of my source no matter how drunk he got.

Maybe just maybe someone high up in Peacocks is a devils fan? ;)
Seriously though, this is a top drawer deal! I know title sponsors are hardly fighting to sponsor teams, but I think you'll find that this deal is a lot more than just exposure, and that there's definitely a good bit of £££ in it. That being said, on top of what we have already, I wouldn't expect a big money marquee signing. Asselin will be back, and we will go for a spare import. So unless Mo is going to the bench, who becomes the spare import if we do make a huge signing?

Mooney#16

You only have to look at Twitter to see the sense on the deal but also the value. Devils have 33k followers, Peacocks 30k. Devils have 3k more followers. How much value would Peacocks put on doubling there Twitter footprint in one shot.

Finny

You only have to look at Twitter to see the sense on the deal but also the value. Devils have 33k followers, Peacocks 30k. Devils have 3k more followers. How much value would Peacocks put on doubling there Twitter footprint in one shot.
None?
I'm sure they'd be delighted to get any new followers that this deal results in, but following people on Twitter is free. I follow all the EIHL teams but I'm not their customer. And I'd suggest that a large percentage of those who do shop at peacocks don't follow them on Twitter.

Ultimately, neither of us know how much is being paid for this sponsorship deal. I do think it will be highly successful for us but I'm not sure that means there will be a big initial cash payment.

Also, you said earlier you can't see a big increase in players budget. Really?
We just won a treble. Re-signing players who have done that always means an increase in wages. Not only will their agents point out that they are 'worth more' but they'll be in more demand.
Bringing all our returning players back will have cost more this year than it did previously. And as mentioned before the drop in value of £ means we'll have to pay more too.

If you look at who has replaced who then Moore and Reddick have effectively replaced Jones and Piggott who were both probably on small contracts. Faryna was rumoured to be chased by several teams and Pope looks a stellar signing.
The one signing we're yet to replace is Bordeleau.

Mooney#16

It's not about followers it's about foot print. Everyone of Devils followers had the Peacocks name thrust upon them yesterday and will continue to have for the next three years along with a counter foot print the other way. When you are a company with an online sales business you are honestly claiming that is of no benefit. Struggling to see what you think it was drew Peacocks to the table as they need a sales return on that investment.

If it's not financial what exactly is the benefit to the Devils. We're selling out so it's not about generating bums on seats. There's a financial ceiling there already. So you're talking merchandise / secondary sales. That's a lot of T shirts to sell.

I see a budget increase in the squad. Most players will have seen a jump I agree but you remove Bordy, Brine, Doucet, Kearney, Scott Hotham, Jones and potentially Piggsie that's a decent wedge so yes I don't see a hugely inflated player budget but I'll agree it's inflated.

Just to illustrate my point. If Peacocks have paid 60k a year that's a stud 1500 a week player for 40 weeks wages paid. Now the old BT deal was a six figure a year deal so do I think that seeing the peacocks deal as financially beneficially insanity on my behalf. No.