2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

ASHIPP

The bell wasn't answered far too often for my liking last season - yes we won stuff, but you can still win stuff whilst also not taking crap all the time. Scenarios like the one when Bowns was injured is exactly the type of thing I'm on about here, stuff like that should never just be brushed under the carpet. To an extent the Tyson Marsh incident as well the season before, he had already previously had a fight with Geoff Waugh because of what happened and the Janssen fight was a 2nd time answering and was totally pre-meditated. No self respecting team just lets their captain get knocked out centre ice and acts like nothing has happened.

When was the last time we had a bunch of pussies you say? I think that's up for debate.
We have certainly had players more than capable of stepping up. Question is, why didn't they answer the call? Maybe just maybe there is something to the Andrew Lord leash rumours?
Yes the coach fights sometimes, but he has no one to answer to. God forbid any other player took a penalty and Lordo would be going insane. I can imagine him saying something like... "I don't care if the opposition player is having an affair with your wife, you don't take the two minutes" :rolleyes:

There was times last season when we were crying out for someone to step up and it just never happened. I hope this is addressed this season before teams start catching on that we will quite happily roll over and have our bellies tickled if you smash our starting netminder and injure him.
If the EIHL implemented harsh rules regarding goalie interference, and the officials had the courage to implement them, this discussion wouldn't even be happening. The Devils'players were not to blame for not retaliating for the run on Ben. Armstrong should have been thrown out immediately. Perhaps if the league introduced a tariff of stringent NHL style bans and fines, players would think twice. Goalie interference is a non-negotiable....always.
As far as team toughness is concerned, I am struggling to find repeated incidents where the Devils were physically bullied. Think their all their success last season indicates they largely got the better of most teams in most games whilst successfully managing injuries and fitness levels.

Very quiet on the devils signings!!
Unless we are going to announce a player ever Friday like last season?

Only 8 weeks till the first game isn't it? :)

Kal

Last season the trend was one every Friday with the exception of both Hothams together and the not talked about mega Monday where their were 3 or 4 signings. I think we also had a few more on multi year deals last summer though so they're gonna need to up the pace at some point.

Jonesy83

Very quiet on the devils signings!!
Unless we are going to announce a player ever Friday like last season?

Only 8 weeks till the first game isn't it? :)
9 weeks Saturday until we face off against the Panthers.

We need 1 x netminder, 5 x defence, 9 x forwards. (2 x U23, 4 x Brits, 10 x Imports).

The Devils will have the majority of those already signed up. So we are going to mathematically start getting more than one player announced a week at some point which will be nice.

For example if they both come back I imagine the Hotham brothers will get announced together again, like last year.

Temme

Chapter 1 of the lazy man's guide to starting rumours (but it sometimes proves to be correct)

This player has just started following the Devils on twitter.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11593

Has put up good numbers in good leagues, I would be happy with him on the first line, but not sure how he'd fit in there as a Centerman. Most impressive though is obviously his name.
If true looks a very good pick-up.

That name is quality, not sure if i like that one better or Colton Yellow Horn http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9365

ASHIPP

Chapter 1 of the lazy man's guide to starting rumours (but it sometimes proves to be correct)

Has put up good numbers in good leagues, I would be happy with him on the first line, but not sure how he'd fit in there as a Centerman. Most impressive though is obviously his name.
He was born and trained in the Calgary area. He would have connections with at least 3 of our import players, having either been on the same team in the past, or played against those guys in the same league. Excellent scoring statistics, extensive AHL and European experience, and leadership qualities.

BostonBart22

Pity his first name ain,t WARREN

ASHIPP

After announcing a returning import player last week, and a returning British player the week before - do you think it could be a new player announcement tomorrow?

If the EIHL implemented harsh rules regarding goalie interference, and the officials had the courage to implement them, this discussion wouldn't even be happening. The Devils'players were not to blame for not retaliating for the run on Ben. Armstrong should have been thrown out immediately. Perhaps if the league introduced a tariff of stringent NHL style bans and fines, players would think twice. Goalie interference is a non-negotiable....always.
As far as team toughness is concerned, I am struggling to find repeated incidents where the Devils were physically bullied. Think their all their success last season indicates they largely got the better of most teams in most games whilst successfully managing injuries and fitness levels.
if the EIHL don't implement any strict rules (which seems rather likely) do we just carry on brushing this sort of stuff under the carpet?
There were times this season when we were absolutely crying out for someone to stick up for us and no one did. If it's not their fault can you please tell me who is to blame for the devils players not retaliating when our starting netminder was injured? because to me it looked like no one had the balls. That was the biggest joke of the season. If I was any other coach in the league I would be telling my forwards to crowd/crash the net/smash into the netminder at any opportunity because you can rattle him and the very worst you'll get is a dirty look

ASHIPP

I hope its batch, but got a sneaky feeling he will be at guildford, hope i am wrong.

Guildford have Kevin Philips and Jez Lundin (captain) as their British d-men. Let's hope Josh wants to stay in Cardiff - his second home, exciting challenge of the CHL competition and another chance to potentially win something domestically with the Devils.

zoesdevil

Liam Stewart & Cardiff Devils are now following each other on Twitter, maybe nothing, but it's a bit strange, as they're both the latest ones each have followed!!

JC23

Hope not he is import and would be a waste
If Coventry didn't sign up why the hell would we :(
The way I read it in their press release, they made him an offer, and he was stalling on accepting it.

The line that made me think that was "We have been in discussions with Liam, but we can only be expecting to wait so long" - so not so much that Cov didn't want him. Just that he stalled too long and they had opportunity of a different player in the same mould.