2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

I'm impressed by ulmer and think the Devils will score bags of goals this year!
If ulmer is our European passport holder I'm pretty sure now big ern will be our last signing :)

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

I don't believe Ulmer qualifies. Will need to be a big Euro holder next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milky

So we've signed Layne Ulmer. Good signing and obviously has a history of great chemistry with Bentivoglio.

We have a great squad on paper and we'll look great on the ice given the chance and score lots of goals.

But is it just me but i'm worried we are going to get bullied off the ice and that our forwards are a little bit light weight? It's just a big presence we are missing. Even though Salters was injured last season he defused so much just by being there. Don't see that with any of the guys we have at the moment.

I do think we look great at the back with Louis and Batch. Scott Hotham will have a go as well.

Have Hope#35

Milky said:
So we've signed Layne Ulmer. Good signing and obviously has a history of great chemistry with Bentivoglio.

We have a great squad on paper and we'll look great on the ice given the chance and score lots of goals.

But is it just me but i'm worried we are going to get bullied off the ice and that our forwards are a little bit light weight? It's just a big presence we are missing. Even though Salters was injured last season he defused so much just by being there. Don't see that with any of the guys we have at the moment.

I do think we look great at the back with Louis and Batch. Scott Hotham will have a go as well.
Andrew Hotham likes a Fight too... He just got injured last season! I'm not worried about getting bullied personally although I would welcome a big European as the Final Import. Layne Ulmer is a big boy, although he won't fight I very much doubt he'll be a push-over, Bentivoglio has a gritty edge to him and Myers, Lord and Haddad all like to get involved even though they're not Fighters. On the rare occassion where a proper Fight breaks out we have a few people who are capable of looking after themselves!

Plus i'm sure that if we do end up looking like a team who's being bullied the owners would respond with a big nasty spare import... Only a couple of EIHL teams have a real physical threat at the moment and who's to say we can't beat them with Goals instead of Fists!? I'm optomistic.

Ulmer is a great signing and really complements Bentivoglio. If we gel we will score a mountain of goals. However, Ulmer does not hold an EU passport (I believe) so no enforcer on the wing. It's a gamble but maybe we will seriously outscore teams this season.

Have Hope#35

Devil May Care said:
Ulmer is a great signing and really complements Bentivoglio. If we gel we will score a mountain of goals. However, Ulmer does not hold an EU passport (I believe) so no enforcer on the wing. It's a gamble but maybe we will seriously outscore teams this season.
Living in dream world but one of the best EU Winger's that is available in the mould we want is Dany Heatley... He's rumoured to Liga with the Pelican's, maybe we could chuck a big sack of money his way though? His brother's already in the league so maybe that would be a slight draw? :lol:

pjj365

Devil May Care said:
At the end of the day goals not penalty minutes win games. We might lack an enforcer (at the moment?) But we don't lack toughness. Who knows what game plan Lordo has in mind

bdevil

Interestingly (excluding Fife because they've hardly signed anyone) we are currently 3rd in average height and weight in the league (from elite prospects data). Manchester and Coventry above us in height and Manchester and Dundee heavier than us.. Maybe size won't be too much of an issue after all.

Finny

bdevil said:
Interestingly (excluding Fife because they've hardly signed anyone) we are currently 3rd in average height and weight in the league (from elite prospects data). Manchester and Coventry above us in height and Manchester and Dundee heavier than us.. Maybe size won't be too much of an issue after all.
I was just looking at that too, except I've got Manchester below us in both?

So we'd be 2nd in height and 1st in weight?

I think your all missing the point in this size toughness bull crap. We could have 10 josef sladoks in our team and you would all be happy with it would because he is big and heavy??

It's plain to see we need a tough forward around 6"2 6"4 who can fight.
There's no denying it and until we sign someone we won't be happy.

Lord ulmer both hothams haddad and Myers are not in with a chance against any tough guy in the league and they are better off on the ice not in the box.

We need someone who will stick up for the team who won't put up as many points and we won't miss whilst he sits the 5 minutes for fighting..

august04

Unfortunately height and weight don't necessarily correlate to toughness. Haddad is a big bloke so is Myers but they can't protect team mates (that isn't their game and I wouldn't expect them to). Cam Janssen isn't particularly tall or heavy but is a top enforcer in this league. We've got a load of skilled players, no doubt about that, but nobody really to stop the likes of him, Rosehill etc from taking liberties. I'd prefer Louis playing D than fighting these guys week in, week out. Ulmer no doubt is a very good player but I would have preferred our final import slot to be a top end tough guy - I can't see a Euro filling that spot. Maybe we will sign an extra import to fill that role? If that was the case, would Lord concentrate on coaching? That way, we'd be able to ice a full roster.

One other problem though - where are all these players going to sit?! Those stacked benches are going to be chaotic!!

Gazza272

Rabbitohs4 said:
I think your all missing the point in this size toughness bull crap. We could have 10 josef sladoks in our team and you would all be happy with it would because he is big and heavy??

Lord ulmer both hothams haddad and Myers are not in with a chance against any tough guy in the league and they are better off on the ice not in the box.

We need someone who will stick up for the team who won't put up as many points and we won't miss whilst he sits the 5 minutes for fighting..

Again who are we fighting that we can't negate? And what do you mean by 'no chance' winning fights doesn't dish out the trophy's.

Coventry's guy will be lucky to catch any of our guys. Nickerson is a known quantity who has never run roughshod over us, Rosehill and Jannsen have NHL pedigree so they are the only two guys who I would worry about as they have skating ability to match their toughness. There is neilson at Manchester who looks decent, but again he's one guy in a team still looking to establish itself, they will be more worried about us than we are of them.

Lord, Haddad, Myers, Louis, Batch can all throw their weight around, and all will stand up for themselves and others.

We have signed one of the most talented rosters we've had since the ISL. I think that quality will shine through.

I say no chance in fighting the top guys!!
People have mentioned these names to protect our players or stand up for themselves?
They have had about 10 fights between them in the last 2 years.

august04

Gazza272 said:
Rabbitohs4 said:

Again who are we fighting that we can't negate? And what do you mean by 'no chance' winning fights doesn't dish out the trophy's.

Coventry's guy will be lucky to catch any of our guys. Nickerson is a known quantity who has never run roughshod over us, Rosehill and Jannsen have NHL pedigree so they are the only two guys who I would worry about as they have skating ability to match their toughness. There is neilson at Manchester who looks decent, but again he's one guy in a team still looking to establish itself, they will be more worried about us than we are of them.

Lord, Haddad, Myers, Louis, Batch can all throw their weight around, and all will stand up for themselves and others.

We have signed one of the most talented rosters we've had since the ISL. I think that quality will shine through.
It's not about winning fights Gazza, it's about having the capability to deal with any cheap shots that are dished out by these types of players on our skilled players or even better having a deterrent to make teams think twice about targeting them in the first place. For me, we didn't have it last year and we don't have it yet this year.

Have Hope#35

Rabbitohs4 said:

Speak for yourself... I'm happy ;)