2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

pjj365

Devil_Abroad said:
I have a feeling that finding the Euro passport will be the tough one - I think they'll have quite a few to whittle down but to find one that matches what they had planned for the season may be hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lordo said as much in his interview

But imports are not a quota but a limit - so any Brits out there?

pjj365

Electro said:
Anybody know what McGratten currently earns.

That's a good starting point when considering the likelihood of him even contemplating moving to a 3,000 seater in a country he probably has no idea existed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm agreeing with you too often these days

Electro

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

So if those numbers are correct, commanding an NHL salary average of around $250.000 a yr and AHL around $110.000 a yr, l would guess he'd be wanting at least £80.000 a yr probably more to even consider the UK. I'm also guessing Sheffield or Nottingham would be a bigger draw.

Electro

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Devil May Care said:
But Europe is not on his radar...at all!!
I get that.

For the reason he wouldn't want to be in Europe is why l made my previous comments.

august04

I would have loved to have seen McGrattan here but I didn't realistically think it would happen. But I'm very encouraged by the fact we reportedly approached him. That says a lot about the progress we've made in two years. If not him, someone of his ilk please.

Mooney#16

Electro said:
So if those numbers are correct, commanding an NHL salary average of around $250.000 a yr and AHL around $110.000 a yr, l would guess he'd be wanting at least £80.000 a yr probably more to even consider the UK. I'm also guessing Sheffield or Nottingham would be a bigger draw.

The thing is with the NA contracts is they very so much from top to bottom. Mcgratten while on a one way or two way NHL contract will fall under the collective bargaining agreement and get league minimum contract and anything he can negotiate on top. His last NHL contract with Anahaim had him at 600k a year but that rate changes if he is in the AHL to only about 75k a year.

Now he's an out of contract free agent he won't be anywhere near NHL figures. He'll prob have to push hard to get $75k on this year. Now if the £ was strong against the $ then Mcgratten would firmly be within a financial scope Devils could afford.

If he doesn't want to come the major reason will be lifestyle not financial.

As for Sheffield and Nottingham being a bigger draw. Those days are gone. Just listen to Simmsey interview. Devils can now financially compete at the top of the league. Steelers are a far more vulnerable financial modal if anything. A bad team on the ice and it doesn't take too big a hit to supporter numbers before the costs can swallow them.

Have Hope#35

Based on a Tweet from David Simms I would guess that Braehead are set to announce an ex-Devil or someone we were after... My guess would be Kurka or Layne Ulmer!
His Tweet: "I think today could be the day that the Cardiff coach realised he got screwed by the Braehead one."

Have Hope#35 said:
Based on a Tweet from David Simms I would guess that Braehead are set to announce an ex-Devil or someone we were after... My guess would be Kurka or Layne Ulmer!
His Tweet: "I think today could be the day that the Cardiff coach realised he got screwed by the Braehead one."
More Layne Ulmer who is best mate with Jeff Ulmer rather than Kurka... He didn't want to come back nor we wanted him back...

Have Hope#35

Sebastien77 said:
Have Hope#35 said:
More Layne Ulmer who is best mate with Jeff Ulmer rather than Kurka... He didn't want to come back nor we wanted him back...
I was thinking the same tbh... Kurka clearly wasn't in our plans anyway!

d20

guess he was right as rosehill was supposed top be coming here ,big blow ..looks like the clan are gonna be one tough team

PATRICK BORDELEAU anyone? ;)

An interesting resource website below with extensive data on all current free agents in NA. Our winger is in there somewhere!

chirpsfromcenterice.com

Ocko

Devil May Care said:
PATRICK BORDELEAU anyone? ;)

An interesting resource website below with extensive data on all current free agents in NA. Our winger is in there somewhere!

chirpsfromcenterice.com
He'd probably be the number 1 tough guy in the league.

Just to roll back a page or two; a few people have mentioned how much McGratton has earned as a thing that'll stop him coming here...

Right now he isn't earning a penny from hockey. Same as Rosehill wasn't. Sometimes something is better than nothing. Plenty of ex NHL tough guys out there who will be getting desperate to keep their careers going soon enough. The enforcer role is almost disappearing in the NHL and AHL so there are definitely players out there who held out for a deal that just didn't turn up.