2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

I don't understand this obsession with signing a fighter/power forward. It might have been viable with half of our games being played in the BBT, but it's an entirely different ball game on the bigger ice where it is much harder to finish hits and far more costly if you miss them! We have enough team toughness and guys willing to drop the gloves if needs be. The emphasis should be on speed and skill for these last few signings as that is how we will win our home games!

RTfarty said:
I don't understand this obsession with signing a fighter/power forward. It might have been viable with half of our games being played in the BBT, but it's an entirely different ball game on the bigger ice where it is much harder to finish hits and far more costly if you miss them! We have enough team toughness and guys willing to drop the gloves if needs be. The emphasis should be on speed and skill for these last few signings as that is how we will win our home games!
I don't think you can really say that a tough player is only effective on a small rink, otherwise how do you explain Nottingham's 4th line against us in the CC final?

Personally I don't think we need someone who's going to go looking for fights every shift, and I don't think anyone's really saying that's what we need. What would definitely help though is to have a sizeable forward who can go with anyone when they need to. Otherwise the likes of Doucet, Martin, Asselin etc are going to be open targets for the likes of Fitzgerald. Yes, there are players in the team who will stick up for team mates, but I don't see anything wrong with adding another person in that mould. If they can play up front too, happy days.

Having just heard last week's Lord interview, I think Speedace is right. It definately sounded like Hervato and Russell were in the plan and would have completed the line up and when referring to physical presence the emphasis was definately on Batch and Louis.
I am one of those that would still like to see some more Size up front and the replacement for a player like Hervato might well still fit that mold.
However I dont just want a 4th line srapper and if the last 2 were pretty much direcr replacements for the 2 we have lost I think we will have a great squad able to mix it with anyone in all aspects.

bb1

RTfarty said:
We don't have that abrasive and hard hitting forward other teams have. I have said it before but the Janssen, Lawrence line in CC final petrified our d man for the 1st period and worked well for Corey the back end of last season.
Plus we need a guy who in our forwards will stand up to D men like Cescon, Fitzy, Nickerson etc...Lordo is the only one and not what we want to see our coach doing it!

Wannabe2

No one is talking about a Knuckle Dragger, that why we talked about a Ian McIntyre/Scott Allison type, someone who can score, hit, and fight when needed those two contributed massively to their teams.

Some people have talked about a guy to enforce up front.

I'm just agreeing now, with those that are beginning to feel that after the signing of a very tough stay at home D man and the intention to have re signed Hervato and Russell, that another big body specifically to enforce definatekly doesn't seem to be a priority, more likely 2 more 2 way forwards with a bit of an edge.
A new Ian Mac would be fine by me.

Mooney#16

The guy I'd take in a dream scenario is Patrice Cormier. Is a high end AHL physical player but not fighter and plays a regular shift that produces points. He's on the edge of a NHL two way contract though despite being a current free agent so very doubtful he'd come but strange things happen in sport.

Was a naughty boy in juniors and completely stalled his career in NA with that elbow but not a lot of controversy since so I think he wouldn't be a liability risk.

Eric Selleck and Big Ern put up decent points for physical players as well.

Not looking for a fighter but you can have a presence who gives you a strong physical identity and points producer in one package. It'll just cost a lot of money. At this stage in the summer though who knows which players salaries are tumbling.

bb1

Wannabe2 said:
No one is talking about a Knuckle Dragger, that why we talked about a Ian McIntyre/Scott Allison type, someone who can score, hit, and fight when needed those two contributed massively to their teams.
+1

A guy who's not afraid to drop them if need be.
And like ppl have said already Mcgratten would put up points in this league easily and do a great job as a physical presence up top. Not a knuckle dragged like a Gillies or Gallant

august04

[*]
Devil94 said:
Hervato was a physical player, so if we replace him like for like we still get a physical forward. Not sure what the panic is about.
Hervato was an energy player (and a good one at that), but not a power forward. I'm hoping we're not replacing like for like. As many others have alluded to, I hope we get a much bigger forward, with a real physical presence who can drop the gloves with the league tough guys if need be - but who can also contribute in all round play. Big Ern would be the dream ticket but I just can't see that happening. I live in hope though!

Ocko

I'd be happy with a knuckle dragger to be honest. As long as they are responsible in their own end and can skate, we don't need any extra scoring. The first 3 lines are pretty much sorted to me we need players for the fourth. We've had the 'tough guys who can play' for the past few years and to be honest not many of them have been particularly good at either of those two things, at least since Voth anyway. We want a tough guy? Let's get one, we aren't looking at someone to slot in on a top 6 position remember, this is almost certainly for a position on the fourth line.

We're already stacked with scoring, to me we lack that heavyweight. I know Louis is a heavyweight but I personally don't like the disruption that comes with having your go to enforcer on D. At least as a forward Piggsy or CJ can slot in when they take penalties.

Wannabe2

Ocko said:
I'd be happy with a knuckle dragger to be honest. As long as they are responsible in their own end and can skate, we don't need any extra scoring. The first 3 lines are pretty much sorted to me we need players for the fourth. We've had the 'tough guys who can play' for the past few years and to be honest not many of them have been particularly good at either of those two things, at least since Voth anyway. We want a tough guy? Let's get one, we aren't looking at someone to slot in on a top 6 position remember, this is almost certainly for a position on the fourth line.

We're already stacked with scoring, to me we lack that heavyweight. I know Louis is a heavyweight but I personally don't like the disruption that comes with having your go to enforcer on D. At least as a forward Piggsy or CJ can slot in when they take penalties.
That says it all in a nut shell, either a power forward who can fight and play, or a equivalent of Jannsen, would take either myself, as has been said we are stacked with scoring, we probably will sign another scoring forward, maybe euro passport, and then we can afford to go for some physicality up front.whatever happens we look a very very good team.

Finny

In terms of scoring, I think we're still a bit behind Sheffield. I'd like to see us score one more big scorer and then a high energy player who will throw his weight about on the fourth line.

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

I have a feeling that finding the Euro passport will be the tough one - I think they'll have quite a few to whittle down but to find one that matches what they had planned for the season may be hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Mind you Layne Ulmer down as signed for a team on the 17th July - when did Russell tell the organisation he wasn't coming back? Hmmm

Devil_Abroad said:
Mind you Layne Ulmer down as signed for a team on the 17th July - when did Russell tell the organisation he wasn't coming back? Hmmm

Hevato gave his notice on the 12th

Russell gave his notice on the 13/14th

Hello guys. I've been biting my tongue for a week now concerning McGratten. I'm sorry to say this but put it out of your mind, he's not coming. I would love him here but it's not going to happen. I don't want to go into too much and I'm certainly not going to reveal who told me this information, but he has no plans for Europe in any dimension.

He's looking for a front office position in the NHL, which is his next move. He was approached however. I know you will question this...but he's not coming.

Onwards and upwards!!!

Electro

Anybody know what McGratten currently earns.

That's a good starting point when considering the likelihood of him even contemplating moving to a 3,000 seater in a country he probably has no idea existed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk