2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Ocko

To me it doesn't matter if this guy loses more than he wins against the top boys in the league, it would be nice but it isn't everything.

The most important thing is that he has the stones to take the fight on in the first place for the benefit of the team. Too many times over the past few years we've had someone very tough who isn't willing to put it on the line and turns a blind eye all to much when a teamate is on the wrong end of some rough treatment.

I think this is a very astute signing.

bb1

For what's it's worth, the more I've read about him the more I feel it's a great signing. I feel he could be a gem and end up a fan favourite.

What I am a little worried about is whether we replace Salters with a big bodied forward with Salters like attributes (a healthy Salters).
I just feel ATM we lack a real impact forward up top. I know times are changing as are the rules but I still think there is room for a Voth type forward (clean hitting one, sorry Brad!) that could really do a job for us on our 3rd line. Hasn't got to be Mcgrattan just a guy that will cause D men to cough up pucks and a guy who can really make a dent against the likes of Fitzy, Nickerson, Cescon and Nielson.

I wonder if Steve maybe able to shed some light on this?

All in all though great signing who I'm sure will do a great job. Teams looking great thus far

jimmy snels

Have Hope#35 said:
jimmy snels said:
If your not happy with that signing i suspect your waiting on chara! Come on he's obviously going to be an upgrade as finny said. Really happy with the D as it stands.

Two big forwards and another scorer left to sign for me now
I'm also happy with that Signing! Do you mean two big forwards and a scorer or two big forwards, one of which who can score as we only have 2 Signings left to make (1 EU)?
Exactly that. 2 big players one of which was expected to produce points. Think we're pretty small up top at minute. I find it hard to believe we'd have gone with russell and hervarto to be honest, would have been like s dwarf army from lord of the rings :lol:

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Has anyone noticed the jersey numbers on the Devils website? Bentivoglio was down as TBC and looking at videos of him he often played in the 91 jersey which would mean a no return of Kurka. Some point this week the website has changed to him wearing the 85 jersey could this mean that Kurka is on his way back as our final European? I know it's far fetched logic but I thought Kurka was much better on the big ice and he hasn't been announced anywhere yet.

Finny

Tinkyadrian said:
Has anyone noticed the jersey numbers on the Devils website? Bentivoglio was down as TBC and looking at videos of him he often played in the 91 jersey which would mean a no return of Kurka. Some point this week the website has changed to him wearing the 85 jersey could this mean that Kurka is on his way back as our final European? I know it's far fetched logic but I thought Kurka was much better on the big ice and he hasn't been announced anywhere yet.
I wouldn't say it was that far fetched. Hervato leaving was clearly a big blow and if Russell was part of those plans too then suddenly a spot opens up for Kurka again.

zoesdevil

Chris said:
Sliput said:
Rumour on THF:

Layne Ulmer to Cardiff. My hockey knowledge outside of the UK is very limited so i have no idea who he is.
Think he's been mentioned on here before when the Ulmer rumours first surfaced.

But anyway, here's his stats, played with Bentivoglio for the last 4 seasons or whatever it is in Asiago...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9905
Well if we have signed Layne Ulmer then he looks as good a player as Bentivoglio, another awesome signing if true.

Mooney#16

Layne Ulmer has pedigree in the game that's for sure. Has a game in the show on his CV. Has led both an AHL and Lliga franchise in season scoring in his time. Led Asiago in goals scored last season assisted by Bentivoglio. Sure would be a massive offensive asset.

My only question is at 35 is there still enough gas in the legs for a season on the IAW big ice. If the answer proves to be yes he'd be a great pick up.

Has played with a lot of present and previous Devils in his time as well.

I think I may have started or at least contributed to the Layne Ulmer rumour when it started looking less likely Jeff was coming to us.
This was based on nothing except a surname linked to Jeff and a team link to Bentivoglio, nothing else and was more of a wish than anything that if we couldn't get that Ulmer that this one would do.
Would be pretty happy if it worked out though, he looks impressive.

bb1

If we do sign another skilled player/points machine like Ulmer then surely we will have zero room for a power forward unless a euro....which are hard to find.

Would anyone think the idea of us bringing in a spare and Lordo going to the bench be a bad or good idea???

Have Hope#35

bb1 said:
If we do sign another skilled player/points machine like Ulmer then surely we will have zero room for a power forward unless a euro....which are hard to find.

Would anyone think the idea of us bringing in a spare and Lordo going to the bench be a bad or good idea???
Lordo isn't ready to Bench himself yet... If we go for Skill and a Euro agitator i'd be happy with that personally! If we manage to find another Power Forward - Euro or otherwise i'd also be happy.

Devil94

After playing in Italy for so long, maybe he would qualify for an Italian passport like Bentivoglio? He certainly has good numbers in good leagues.

Was it ever the Devils plan to sign a power forward?As we know in recent weeks Hervato and Russell have both pulled out of deals, if they hadn't our squad would be complete other than a possible spare import or another Brit. I get the impression we are going for four offensive forward lines, and those looking for the power forward may be a little disappointed. I have no knowledge of any upcoming announcements but this does appear to be the way the club were looking to go. We shall see, but very pleased with the way the squad is shaping up.

bb1

Have Hope#35 said:
bb1 said:

Lordo isn't ready to Bench himself yet... If we go for Skill and a Euro agitator i'd be happy with that personally! If we manage to find another Power Forward - Euro or otherwise i'd also be happy.
When you say another power forward....I don't really class any of our guys as out and out power forwards. None of them are in the mould of Faryna or Janssen who hit anything that moves. That is what we need imo