2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

august04

Wannabe2 said:
august04 said:
Wannabe2 said:
55 points last season, if that's disappearing.??? Best sniper in the league.
I sometimes admire your loyalty but you've been watching hockey long enough to know he wasn't the same player the last 6 weeks of the season, games passed him by. The lines chopping and changing didn't help but we struggled to find the right line mates for him all year. And when we eventually did, we swapped and changed again! I stand by my comment - he disappeared at the business end of the season.
Your eyes ain't my eyes buddy, I certainly did think he was the player he was earlier in the season, yes we imploded as a team but certain individuals were let down by other certain individuals
Fair enough. The league is improving year on year, we’re going to need upgrades to be able to match the likes of Sheffield. Personally, I wouldn't be giving multi year deals to anyone but the most difficult to replace players on our team (Bowns, Richardson, Martin, Batch - but not too many more than that) and I don't think Doucet is in that category - not that EIHL contracts are worth the paper they're written on anyway. I would like most players to have to fight for their contract for the following year not have the safety net of a multi year deal in place.

KaneDevils

Doucet was disappointing overall, no doubt about it, and yes he, amongst others, disappeared in certain games. Didn't he go like, 12 games without a point (or was it a goal?) at one stage of the season. A player of his calibre, in this league, thats unreal.

ASHIPP

KaneDevils said:
Doucet was disappointing overall, no doubt about it, and yes he, amongst others, disappeared in certain games. Didn't he go like, 12 games without a point (or was it a goal?) at one stage of the season. A player of his calibre, in this league, thats unreal.
Too much messing about with line changes prevented real chemistry developing amongst players last season. When Doucet was on a line where the chemistry worked, the players were changed again.

I can't understand anyone not wanting Doucet back - highest scorer in the League with 35 goals - impressive for our Conference, considering the standard of competition most weeks. Some people were the same last year in not wanting Walton back. Doucet went a bit cold at times, but scored some big goals, especially in overtime. If he can score 30+ goals again next season I'd be very pleased.

Doucet can probably score more. If lines are being changed and he's only struggled during this, then it's nothing to do with any lack of consistency from him. Stick him on a line he can work with and keep him there.

Don't thing that we can say he was disapointing they guy had 35 goals,yes maybe he hid for a little stretch but at end of the day he still contributed to the team goal which was to win the league,sadly we didn't make that!We sign players like Doucet to win trophies yes,but I'll back him on the Line situation keep him on the same line for a full season and we probably would have had different result from him!i say resign him big time,any team in this league would love to have him!I was over the moon when I knew he was a devil last season and will be same again if he stays at the club!

Wannabe2

Oxforddevil said:
Don't thing that we can say he was disapointing they guy had 35 goals,yes maybe he hid for a little stretch but at end of the day he still contributed to the team goal which was to win the league,sadly we didn't make that!We sign players like Doucet to win trophies yes,but I'll back him on the Line situation keep him on the same line for a full season and we probably would have had different result from him!i say resign him big time,any team in this league would love to have him!I was over the moon when I knew he was a devil last season and will be same again if he stays at the club!
Doucet is already signed, he is on yr 2 of a 2 yr contract.

wildthing74

I know this theead has gone way off topic but I am delighted Doucet is back. Martin is far and away our best player but Douc is easily our best goal scorer and is the one guy I would want on the if e in any must score situation and he showed how deadly he is many times in OT alone.

Ok he had spells of not scoring but over the course of the season he was a guy that delivered time and again and including away games I saw most of his matches and he was always among the stand out guys especially on big ice.

It was a shame the lines had to reshuffle so often as when he was paired with Martin & Kurka and then Salts and Martin he clicked and we saw his best form on those lines.Get him alongside a play maker next year I would back him to score even more goals.

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

I know as fans we can be disappointed when our expectations from players aren't met part way through season however I agree with points made by others here and more;

chopping and changing lines sometimes is a call a coach has to make but that can adversely affect chemistry
players can and do lose form - hence the chopping and changing lines
we know that players are often carrying injuries and the Devils are an organisation that keeps this quiet - I for one like that - but it could be that Doucet was one such player - Lord mentioned this at the end of the season - otherwise why not play him against the Blaze!

I for one agree with the above that Doucet is a proven sniper - give him a chance and more often than not he can convert. I think he struggled on stamina - I guess he's more like a sprinter as in amazing speed over short distances but then because of this his energy quickly fades on a shift. Give him a play maker, keep him fit, and the Devils will see a stella performance on goals return next season.

A HUGE bonus is the knowledge he's settled and likes life in Cardiff - must be the Gallic connection [emoji85][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've also noticed that there's not much talk about the 6 released from the blaze,apart from Tanaka!Wouldnt mind seeing Brendon Walker in a devils jersey,late season signing,for me last season I watched a lot of the blaze game highlights and came across a very effective player,one game scoring a hat trick against the Panthers I believe!Boris I've heard is heading back home,for ex NHL player I thought he was gash and probably past his sell by date now.

What are the odds on Russell returning guys,any news on that front!?

Walker had a terrible attitude off the ice I hear. As for Boris...I'm not sure why they kept him. Apart from a small blip at xmas where he brilliantly hounded Lord all game, he's been completely uninterested and about as useful as a traffic cone.